I'm just getting frustrated that this discussion is still going on, 'cause all we're trying to do is make the place roll a little bit better and people are just arguing about this one poxy thread when stuff is totally catered for elsewhere. There's no general Songs and Releases banter thread, or Gallery banter thread or Gaming and IT Banter thread...

I'm just getting frustrated that this discussion is still going on, 'cause all we're trying to do is make the place roll a little bit better and people are just arguing about this one poxy thread when stuff is totally catered for elsewhere. There's no general Songs and Releases banter thread, or Gallery banter thread or Gaming and IT Banter thread...

True. But this area pretty much developed into it's own community with lots of people not using other areas of the board, unlike the Gallery.

I can't see the issue in one more thread until a solution is sorted for all unnecessary Banter threads, the main Banter one would be a bit of a shock to people used to the K&T one at the pace it moves and could help integrate everyone a bit better and once something is worked out, close all of them :)

Because if we allow it for one section of the board, then surely it's not fair to disallow other areas to not do it. Like, should the pmt have their own banter thread? Or the photographers? The photography thread probably has about the same amount of regs as here yet that thread doesn't get spammed up like k&t does. If they want to chat, they use banter. Some of the people that post in there are not banter regs, they don't demand their own thread. Thing is, if you are using the example of the hair thread, everyone has hair (more or less!) and the thread is about a specific topic, and that topic is stuck to. If they were all chatting about whatever in there we would not allow it. You guys have a whole area to talk about instruments and making music, all we are asking is that you keep it on topic.

True. But this area pretty much developed into it's own community with lots of people not using other areas of the board, unlike the Gallery.

I can't see the issue in one more thread until a solution is sorted for all unnecessary Banter threads, the main Banter one would be a bit of a shock to people used to the K&T one at the pace it moves and could help integrate everyone a bit better and once something is worked out, close all of them :)

All forums have their own communities. Ffs. They stay on topic or they go to Banter. We had exactly the same arguments when we stopped the chat style threads in Main Muse.

• 2 weeks later...
Could you have a word with Trademrak and ask him to be more clear on what is considered off-topic and what isn't?

Also to explain why making a mum joke to a friend is 'abusive' and 'offensive' :erm:

Any news on this? Some clear guidelines would be good to avoid future bans.

Any news on this? Some clear guidelines would be good to avoid future bans.

we've no problem with people having a joke. But there is a line between having a joke and just being abusive. If someone buys, for example, a fuzz factory, and someone replies, "Now you're one step closer to being Matt bellamy! :LOL:" then that can be easily seen as a joke. But when it gets to the stage when someone's reply is "YOU'RE NOT MATT BELLORZ! FUCK OFF BACK UP YOUR MUM'S ASS" that is not a joke. It's offensive.

If a post is reported that "Was supposed to be a joke" but someone finds it offensive, we'll have to step in and look at whether it was a joke, a joke taken too far, or just abuse. Perhaps a pm to the people involved may sort it, or even a warning (you don't get any points for those, but we still take them into account if you're being naughty!)

I'll try to be as lenient as i can with this, but I'm sure you all can understand that it can be difficult sometimes to make the call when someone is joking, but the person who the "joke" is aimed at finds it offensive.

I hope that clears it up?

other people can find the content of your jokes between you offensive though, it is a public setting afterall.

as i understand the circumstances regarding you and jon was you both recieved infractions for off topic posting in the the quick questions thread, which is specified to be kept on topic to try stop it going the way of k&t banter. and i'm sure it makes sense why the infraction was given for that reason. regarding offensive, there's jokes about breast cancer, vomiting in peoples mouths and vomit in a sexual context, i'm sure it can be understood how someone could find those things offensive. regarding abuse, your probably right it wasn't abuse, that would be the wrong word for the situation really but thats pretty much semantics.

just because yourself and/or jon aren't offended by insulting eachother does not mean other people aren't offended. If you, for example, made some joke at jon about raping his mum. Although yourself and jon might find it hilarious, some people may find these jokes inappropriate and offensive. Although it might be very funny to yourselves, there's more than just two members on these boards.

I'm not going to argue with that, it's a public forum with young members. I guess it just seems a little at odds with the sort of talk allowed.

For example, if you are truly worried about easily offended members, or about minors, then swearing should be censored (easily done with a filter). I've seen swearing to a far greater extent in other sections of this board.

Moderation is hard

Especially with Tom

He's such a retard

But he argues with aplomb

He wants you to know

He appreciates your skill

So even though you blow

He loves you still

uh

yo' mama

it's not that we're easilly offended, but there are certain things that people will find offensive regardless of their age. Things like racism, disabilities, rape etc will always cause a stirr when you use them as insults in public places. We're not trying to blanked ban these things, but it's moreso that we'd just like people (NOT JUST YOU AND JON!) to keep them in mind when they use them. If you're going to use things like racism, rape etc as a joke insults, do it in the knowledge that it may not go down well with other members.

cheese

well yeah, i see the joke, but, if there's a member out there who's mum works as a prostitute, they might not see the funny side. you get what i mean though about jokes POSSIBLY offending other people?

you get what i mean though about jokes POSSIBLY offending other people?

Yeh, but it's very difficult to see where to draw the line. That difficulty exists for posters AND for moderators, and needs to be taken into account when posting AND when moderating IE innocently overstepping when you think is the line is probably a little tap on the shoulder offence. Blatantly overstepping 90% of people's line is a banning offence.

Let's say the line of the majority hovers around cancer, rape, and sexual vomit. I still think "yo mama's so fat......" is acceptable?

i would say so too. In the event that someone does take offense, maybe a warning might be the best way to go. It doesn't give any points like an infraction does, but lets people know they were a bit out of line, or offensive to other people. If they persist, that warning could become an infraction / ban etc. what do you think?

if you're making jokes close to the taste line you're running a risk really, there aren't any hard and fast rules because there's interpretation, intent and context. if you want to make potentially offensive jokes you have to accept you're running a risk on these things and there's a likelihood of crossing a line and being infracted. we'll issue warnings when things seem like an innocent break of the rules, but if you're frequently playing close to the line it's not likely warning territory

thats not easy to define because of the various contributing factors, just don't be offensive / annoying and it'll be fine. i know it'd be a lot easier if there was just a simple rule of do not cross and then trouble but thats not an easy thing to lay out, to use your previous example of "your mother goes down well with other members." placed here in the context of joking around with neil thats fine, however if you started quoting random people with that then that'd likely annoy/offend cause rows so that wouldn't be so cool. and what if someone posted that their mother had just died and you came in with that, that'd really be rather offensive.

so really if you're looking for a simple rule don't say anything offensive, don't make jokes, stay on topic in threads, always be helpful and polite. that'd never get you in bad stead but beyond that you've just got to apply common sense to it

heh "don't make jokes"? That's never going to happen.

I know what you mean, i'm not being thick here, the confusion is around this idea of a third party getting offended at something IE you just said my joke about niel's mum was fine in this context, but what if someone else read it and got offended? Does that suddenly change it from being fine to being offensive?

I can draw my own reasonable line based upon common sense, but in my own mind I have not crossed that (since being allowed back from perm-ban) and so I need a bit of input from the people who actually decide, because obviously they disagree with me and think that I have crossed the line.

I believe your mention of sexual vomit etc was in the context of my rap thread with a massive disclaimer at the top? Am I allowed more leeway(sp?) in my rap thread because of the dislaimer, or am I just hanging myself there?

the best way to go about it is to use common sense, as you said. But i'd just reiterate the point to bare in mind that if you use distasteful jokes, you may land yourself in trouble, but I'll start pming people when they're being a bit distasteful, and as i said previously, persistance would lead to sanctioning.

As for your rap thread, i suppose it's a bit like the NSFW thread. I don't really see the problem with it if you've a disclaimer, BUT, just because you've a disclaimer, don't think that that gives you free right to take the piss out of people and insult them blatently, and that you can get away with it just by having a disclaimer saying "It's just a joke." people can still be offended, but as far as content goes, I'll be lenient on it, and if something's a bit much, i'll pm you.

nah the mention of sexual vomit was in the context of the k&t quick questions thread in where you and jon were talking. your rap thread would of course have a higher degree of leeway on it as the thread has a different purpose. obviously though you need to be careful when your raps are aimed at users as you know it can be hard to tell whats a joke or not and if the person you're aiming at doesn't see it as a joke, we're probably going to have a problem of some sort to solve.

for the third party offense thing, it's not a case of just if anyone got offended, it's more that alerts us to it and we decide on the context etc. things like sexual perversions, faux-racism etc are obviously likely to be considered potentially offensive. then it's a case of judging the intent, if it seems an innocent mistake it's a warning thing. i'm feeling a bit of de ja vu, hopefully i'm not just going round in circles.

Archived