nah the mention of sexual vomit was in the context of the k&t quick questions thread in where you and jon were talking.

Oh, sorry, that was naughty then, and deffinitely over the line.

i'm feeling a bit of de ja vu, hopefully i'm not just going round in circles.

I think we are really. As far as i'm concerned, let's just put it to bed and i'll do my best to not piss anyone off.

A very specific question about my rap thread - There are lots of raps in there which are taking the piss out of and insulting people who have come to rap on my thread, as well as bshuker. Most of these raps are worse than the one I wrote about trademark (IMO obviously). So my yes or no question is: Are these types of raps acceptable?

If yes, is that 'cos they're inside a thread with a disclaimer?

If no, I will cease to rap on the board (which i'm sure is fine with all concerned, although it does amuse me).

thats cool. be good to get back on to k&t improvements :)

i think its fine those sort of raps, well especially when people come a long and rap there too. i don't see a problem in that. obviously not cool to just slag off random users though. we did talk about the bshuker rap cos it did seem potentially abusive but the conclusion we came to is that it was the sort of he was probably on board with and found funny. really strikes me as fine until someone gets offended and then we'll have to look into where its going, but no problems so far.

i cant speak for everyone in the staff on this though, but i'll let you know if there's a different group stance

• 2 weeks later...

Moving swiftly on, after much discussion, Kev and I have an idea that we're quite keen on, and we wanted to run it by the regulars to get your feedback / ideas on. It's NOT a definite yet, but it's something we both think could improve a number of the problems with knt, and tackle a number of issues such as sticky topics. We were quite keen on the sticky topic list that, as far as i can remember, cheddatom posted, but i think you all understand the problems with stickying a large number of threads. So, we came up with this:

Subforums.

We were thinking of effectively splitting KnT into 2 subforums, and one General forum. Something like this:

1. Main General KnT Section

This would be where most of the topics would go. Discussions like "Which pedal should I buy?" or "Matt's New Manson" would go in here, as well as the regular topics like "Recent Purchaces" and "Which order should i place my FX in?" There would be a short list of stickied threads, maybe 2 or 3, which are yet to be decided. One definite one would be a General KnT FAQ, and if i had to guess, I'd say maybe a general gear discussion thread.

Subforum 1: Tab

This subforum would be solely for Tabs. With The Resistance due out shortly, and two songs already released, there's going to be a number of threads for the new tabs. We feel that one subforum, just for tab, will make things a lot more organised. Again, there'd be a short list of stickies, maybe 2. They'd probably be Tab Request, and maybe a topic with a link to the best places for tabs; be them books, a website, sheet music etc etc.

Subforum 2: DIY

DIY related projects have really become a big part of the KnT. With the DIY subforum, everything from Guitar building and repairs, to the electronics thread etc would go in here. This would allow us to look at the option of allowing people, if they wanted, to have their own topics for builds etc. As for stickied topics, we would like to do up a DIY faq. Hopefuly, we could get people like phill, james90, hooglebug, and anyone else who can contribute, to write up a bit about common problems, like correctly setting up a guitar, intonation issues, fret buzz etc etc, and sticky that, along with, i would guess, something like the General Luthiery Thread.

--

The subforums idea is NOT a definite. I know i said that at the start, but i wanted to reiterate that. We'd like to give it a go, and we think it would improve the knt, so opinions/ideas with this would be great. Also, if there's any other issues we've skipped over, let us know.

Cheers

I think they are good ideas but It will be splitting things up too much, I think how things are at the moment is working pretty well. We have a good few definitive threads that hardly ever leave the first page and the 'general gear' thread is working really well at the moment.

tbh i think an entire subforum dedicated to DIY would be a bit much. we seem to cope fine with the luthiery thread and the mods thread as is, so it seems like a bit of overkill. as for a tabs subforum, it makes perfect sense to have one, but tbh these days knt is used very little for tabs. people tend to head straight for UG etc (or if they do come here, they get redirected to UG etc :p). there is some logic to using subforums, but perhaps different ones to those suggested?

I agree, we only need one electronics and one luthiery thread really. i don't see what else you'd need in the subforum. if everyone makes their own thread they'd probably just get flamed for making a new thread to show off there muse themed paintjob or new nailbomb pickup etc. As for tabs, currently there's a tab request thread, that hardly gets any use. A whole sub-forum for it would again be overkill!

I do get what you guys mean about how they might not get used. We were of the opinion that this would make things a lot more organised. As for people starting up individual topics in, for example, the DIY Subforums. We wouldn't have a problem with that, provided it wasn't utter shite. If someone was posting something like "LOOK! I CHANGED THE CAPACIT0Rz IN MAH GUITAR!" than as per usual, that would be locked. but if someone did a page on a first guitar build, we'd leave it there.

Just try it and see if it works. I agree there wouldn't be a need for lots and lots of threads about DIY or Tabs, but I also agree it would clean up the main area a shitload.

I think the board's working fine at the moment, but there's no harm in trying new ideas. Have you considered a banter sub forum (joke don't explode like my fucking potato in the microwave last night - there's glass everywhere).

I think they are good ideas but It will be splitting things up too much, I think how things are at the moment is working pretty well. We have a good few definitive threads that hardly ever leave the first page and the 'general gear' thread is working really well at the moment.

tbh i think an entire subforum dedicated to DIY would be a bit much. we seem to cope fine with the luthiery thread and the mods thread as is, so it seems like a bit of overkill. as for a tabs subforum, it makes perfect sense to have one, but tbh these days knt is used very little for tabs. people tend to head straight for UG etc (or if they do come here, they get redirected to UG etc :p). there is some logic to using subforums, but perhaps different ones to those suggested?

which other ones would you suggest out of interest?

I agree, we only need one electronics and one luthiery thread really. i don't see what else you'd need in the subforum. if everyone makes their own thread they'd probably just get flamed for making a new thread to show off there muse themed paintjob or new nailbomb pickup etc. As for tabs, currently there's a tab request thread, that hardly gets any use. A whole sub-forum for it would again be overkill!

in response to all 3 of the above.

i know they might seem like slightly odd choices for sub forums, the way i justify them is that they are areas that are potentially of interest but have been squeezed out of this forum by the nature of it. and they might flourish better in a slower forum and be good as information resources.

having a tab request thread doesn't make it easy for people to find tabs they want, or to collaborate. it doesn't strike me as an area that isn't of interest to a large proportion of muse fans so the fact it doesn't get much use recently would seem more how it's catered for than a lack of demand. it's also quite clear a significant proportion of the regulars here aren't interested in the tab aspect a lot given what can happen when people post a thread requesting a tab. so thats the reasons for that. i don't know if it will be a success though.

with regards to diy forum (still not sure about the name of that) the area that i think that forum would be most interesting is people showcasing projects and people being able to see what they've done etc. i'm sure phill if guitars you built had a thread (if that was something you wanted to do) they'd be very interesting resources for people. to me a lot of people in this forum embark on pretty interesting projects and i think showcasing and discussing them might make this a more interesting forum. it always seems a shame to me when someone presents a custom guitar they've made and we get a report saying "merge in general luthiery" it's just you know seems like somehting that'd be good to let people present.

so to me these are two areas that k&t itself might be holding back and breaking a bit off from k&t might allow these to flourish more (i could be wrong though could be a disaster) and would also ease this forum a bit with more room for topics, both of those areas could have their own stickies that cover common things.

LOL I can't believe you're asking Kev for a banter thread!! I need a supersized facepalm.

ha i'm not that much of a tyrant am i? my view on the banter thing is we're try find ways to cater for everyone besides the actual bantery aspect if we can. and hopefully, although it'll take longer, we're come up with a global forum banter style thread solution in the not to distant future.

besides these ideas more suggestions on how things could be better, what could be faqed etc would be great. one thing i want to move away from is the extensive merging that gets suggested (i.e. recommended gear) this can be a real conversation killer i think.

which other ones would you suggest out of interest?

having a tab request thread doesn't make it easy for people to find tabs they want, or to collaborate. it doesn't strike me as an area that isn't of interest to a large proportion of muse fans so the fact it doesn't get much use recently would seem more how it's catered for than a lack of demand. it's also quite clear a significant proportion of the regulars here aren't interested in the tab aspect a lot given what can happen when people post a thread requesting a tab. so thats the reasons for that. i don't know if it will be a success though.

tbh im not really sure.. as i said, i like the concept of having a couple of extra subforums, but does this area necessarily get enough traffic to warrant them..?

as for your comment vis a tab subforum - good point. there cant be any harm in trying, can there?

ha i'm not that much of a tyrant am i?

Not at all, it's just a dead issue IMO

one thing i want to move away from is the extensive merging that gets suggested (i.e. recommended gear) this can be a real conversation killer i think.

THANK THE LORD, KNT WILL BE SAVED!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the best suggestion in this thread.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived