Soldier's Poem appreciation thread

CitizenAgitated

Overly cheesy lyrics, horrible harmonization (which is annoying, since Matt's voice could work, especially when he's singing higher) and it doesn't really feel like a finished song overally.

So, personally, I think it's pretty much the second worst song on the album.

Define "horrible harmonization".

I think it's a lovely song and it allows the album to take a nice breather before things get intense again. I haven't really appreciated it until I saw a video on YouTube that put the song together with some footage from WWII (I think). That really highlighted its poignancy for me.

I love the song. Shame it didn't make Absolution actually. It seems it would have fit that album well. Especially with a darker tone. As it is though it's still great. More of that is welcome!

It remains an open question whether it would have had the harmonies on Absolution. If not, I'm glad they held it back for BH&R.

At first I hated it, then I saw them play it live at Wembley, and the lyrics and the feeling of the song really touched me. So beautiful.

I've always really liked Soldiers, a refreshing peice.

In my oppinion the only muse track i've ever actively disliked is invinceable, its a sentimental bit of bumwad. It makes me think of someone cheesegrateing a kitten.

Thats said hearing invinceable live at wembaly it was really good... even on HARRP, perhaps its just better live.

Define "horrible harmonization".

I just don't think the backing vocals work at all, it makes Matts voice sound whiny and only sound good, when they goes to the higher range in the end ("No I don't think you do" etc etc). It's a gimmick to give the song some flesh around it, which it desperately needs. The song would have been better without them, with just the main vocals in.

The song works live though, but on album it's horrible.

I just don't think the backing vocals work at all, it makes Matts voice sound whiny and only sound good, when they goes to the higher range in the end ("No I don't think you do" etc etc). It's a gimmick to give the song some flesh around it, which it desperately needs. The song would have been better without them, with just the main vocals in.

The song works live though, but on album it's horrible.

+1

I wouldnt say its horrible on the album, but its perfect live.

Well, horrible is quite a strong word, but I think it's really redundant.

Yeah fair enough, one of the main reasons i like it live is the way it draws everything down from all the rocking and everyone just watches it. I dunno i suppose some people would find that boring but i think its one thing that muse do well when captivating you live.

Yeah fair enough, one of the main reasons i like it live is the way it draws everything down from all the rocking and everyone just watches it. I dunno i suppose some people would find that boring but i think its one thing that muse do well when captivating you live.

It's a nice break live (from all the mental jumping) and with the cell phone thing it's really pretty. Then again, those don't really make the song itself any better...

• 2 months later...

Am I the only one to think that when Matt's sings "No I don't think you do" it really sounds like the "Ave Maria"? :shifty:

Yes, you can call me crazy if you'd like but that's what it sounds like to me... ;)

Overly cheesy lyrics, horrible harmonization (which is annoying, since Matt's voice could work, especially when he's singing higher) and it doesn't really feel like a finished song overally.

So, personally, I think it's pretty much the second worst song on the album.

I actually quite liked the harmony :erm:

as others have said it's a nice change of pace in the album. I wouldn't classify it as a favorite, it's just not that memorable imo, but it's pleasant to listen to

i really like soldiers poem, and the harmony in it, but does anyone else find it weird seeing chris doing the vocals, for example on HAARP, such a huge guy, singing something like that, I just find it odd...

Must every singer be smallish, emo-looking type? :rolleyes:

As far as the song goes, I think it's a lovely song though should have been a B-Side giving Glorious room to be on the album.

+10000000000

that said, i do really like SP but Glorious is...well...glorious. maybe if there were room for both? that would be ace!

as for it having "bad harmonies"?? i just don't see that. sorry...

As far as the song goes, I think it's a lovely song though should have been a B-Side giving Glorious room to be on the album.

Yeah, but instead of Glorious, Easily. Or both!:D

When I first heard Soldier's Poem, I hated its guts. But it grew on me. Now I love it! Not one of my favorites, but still a very good song that I enjoy listening to.

• 1 year later...

Archived