Soldier's Poem appreciation thread

CitizenAgitated

I think that Soldiers Poem is a nice enough interlude in BHaR. It's a nice change of pace from the more electronically focused first half of the album, and it's a cool experiment in Queen-esque harmonies.

That being said, it should have been placed after Invincible, and the piano should have been more forward in the mix.

Up until recently I'd always skipped it, but now I realize there was a method to Bellamy's madness. He incorporated Queen harmonies into a song, specifically "Love of My Life". When you get to the multiple Matts harmonizing then it's sheer Bliss.

Soldier's poem definitely sticks out in BH&R. I like it's jazzy sound and think it is sheer brilliance to combine those lyrics with that sound... Loved it's quiet performance in Wembley, "for our unsung heroes"...

I just wanted to verify, wasn't this song attempted for Absolution, and it was a lot more orchestral and epic. Because that could be cool. Man, Muse must have some great demo's lying around.

No it wasn't more orchestral and epic, I don't think, as that's why it was left off/not bothered to be fitted into Absolution.

As far as the song goes, I think it's a lovely song though should have been a B-Side giving Glorious room to be on the album.

i never thought of it as an interlude but i think that goes quite well actually. softer... slow it down. i don't love it. it's alright. but this thread has made me start with "take a bow"... to try it out haha.

It's understandable that teens need that continuous rush of blood to the head...

Guest QueenOfNerds

At first I hated it, then I saw them play it live at Wembley, and the lyrics and the feeling of the song really touched me. So beautiful.

Guest QueenOfNerds
Good song, better than most of the shit on Bhar.

One of the five best tracks, the others being:

1: Hoodoo

2: City of Delusion

3: Take a Bow

4: Glorious

Those are all of my faves too!

Good song, better than most of the shit on Bhar.

One of the five best tracks, the others being:

1: Hoodoo

2: City of Delusion

3: Take a Bow

4: Glorious

Knights cough. I wish GH hadn't taken that song because it's easily one of the best tracks.

Overly cheesy lyrics, horrible harmonization (which is annoying, since Matt's voice could work, especially when he's singing higher) and it doesn't really feel like a finished song overally.

So, personally, I think it's pretty much the second worst song on the album.

Archived