Muse Songs That Are Worse Than "Guiding Light"

kueller

I quite liked Guiding Light for a while but its one of the few Muse tracks I think sounded better in studio than on record. Which kinda killed my enthusiasm for it.

Big Freeze is the primary one I can think of worse. Quite like Chris' T2L songs and Explorers, so I'm not going to note those down. Aftermath I'm unsure of because I skip it as reflex and have since forgotten what it sounded like. Which is weird.

Might need to cram Showbiz - haven't really listened to half of it for a very long time.

Not what i said. Maybe if i had dropped in 'clone' it would clarify it for you. I don't like the song, no amount of weird noises can't make up for, in my opinion a quite boring song.
Well considering Timbaland actually contributed on another album track it sounded more like you got Propaganda and BITM confused, especially with your descriptions of BITM.

I mean, there are a fair few bad Muse tracks, but worse than Guiding Light? Neutron Star Collision, Explorers, The Big Freeze, Aftermath, Save Me and Dig Down are definitely all up there. Er... down there.

Otherwise, as with Guiding Light, I also find it near impossible to listen to all of Madness, both parts of The 2nd Law, and Follow Me without skipping. I fear Get Up and Fight and Thought Contagion may go the same route (although the latter's more due to that one line than musically). I guess Invincible is minutely better than Guiding Light... But there's not much in it. The Defector's almost endearingly bad, so maybe just about escapes. Oh, and The Globalist deserves a mention simply for trying to trick you into thinking 8 mins of mind-numbing awful is worth listening to thanks to being briefly interrupted by an unrelated tacked-on section containing 2 minutes of awesome. I mean, that's just a betrayal. Or awful songwriting.

Edited by Static Shadows

Isolated System deserves better than that, Static.

I'm not sure it does. It does start with that pleasant Exorcist-knock off piano line and beat, but they clearly couldn't be arsed to develop into an actual track, so have it endlessly repeat while news clips play over it to make it sound important. It's 5 mins long and the last 3 mins of that are utterly redundant. It ends up as a brief pretty demo extended into a waste of time. Or a sequel to The Gallery with less direction, atmosphere and actual songwriting. I still probably wouldn't include it as being worse than/on a par with Guiding Light if it was a b-side separated from Unsustainable. But Muse clearly wanted us to think of them as movements of one underwritten, half-arsed, over-long piece, so it's going in there!

The last two minutes of it are absolutely gorgeous. The beat and piano might be repetitive but the stuff going on with the strings, choir and synth at the end is one of the most beautiful things Matt has ever written.

Don't think I'm gonna convince you but I would urge you to give this another look

The last two minutes of it are absolutely gorgeous. The beat and piano might be repetitive but the stuff going on with the strings, choir and synth at the end is one of the most beautiful things Matt has ever written.

Don't think I'm gonna convince you but I would urge you to give this another look

100% agree. The ending of The Void has a similar vibe, but it comes nothing close to this. Also, did Matt know he was writing this for WWZ or did they ask for the rights to it afterwards?

Agreed.

The point in the track is it has a repetitive couple of layers from the start that are built on top of, increasing in complexity but keeping the hook as time goes on. Brilliant track.

Well considering Timbaland actually contributed on another album track it sounded more like you got Propaganda and BITM confused, especially with your descriptions of BITM.

You know what, you are one of a number of posters that sit on this board ready to jump on and bully anyone with a contrary view to your own. Maybe you spend too much time on here and should as a normal 27 year old get out and enjoy life.

It's a weird one for me.

I can completely appreciate what you're saying here and I agree that the strings in particular are pretty gorgeous but I just find it goes on far too long and I get a little bored by it. Might get slaughtered for it but I actually kinda prefer the abridged version they use live these days if I'm honest.

You know what, you are one of a number of posters that sit on this board ready to jump on and bully anyone with a contrary view to your own. Maybe you spend too much time on here and should as a normal 27 year old get out and enjoy life.

Whoa, calm down, man. What was so triggering about his comment? He just said he felt like you got the two tracks confused, with no intent of insulting you.

Aww come on, it's not the worst thing they have ever written...

1. Jimmy Kane

2. Pink Ego Box

3. Revolt

4. Soldier's Poem

5. Prague (technically a cover but it is still awful)

6. Big Freeze

7. Explorers

8. Undisclosed Desires

9. Isolated System

10. Save Me

11. Con-Science

12. Aftermath

13. The Globalist

14. Neutron Star Collision

15. Unnatural Selection

16. Exo Politics (recorded version)

17. Crying Shame (recorded version)

Whoa, calm down, man. What was so triggering about his comment? He just said he felt like you got the two tracks confused, with no intent of insulting you.
I mean some of it is fair of my time here overall so I’m not gonna make a big deal out of it. I can assure him that I’m out enjoying life despite posting here though.

I haven't seen IS mentionned as worse than GL

I haven't.

No.

No.

zre*g,etrlngerlkzgnlekmrjhmqdkhùstpkjùryjkrsmljkmdjhs<ùrkjh^zqtrffjhoesjhestjryj575rdyjk6rsyjlethjkphqerjhpqzhjrmlyzypoy^qeyrk^'hypkestpojhes^kjp^tojptojhpestjhpjtrpfyjhsr^t'pjfyês

There’s a couple of others I disagree with but this is just blasphemous :noey:

It takes forever to go anywhere and builds up to a fairly underwhelming and repetitive climax imo.

Would have probably made a good Radiohead song in many ways (and I suppose it comes from the era when people were always making the Radiohead comparisons). Similar to Exit Music For a Film with the quiet/acoustic section - build up - loud/distorted section structure but much less interesting musically.

It also reminds me a bit of The Void which suffers from a similar structural problem imo, just without the wub wubs.