Fight Club: The Genre Discussion Thread

manxmuser

I haven’t posted on here for a long time as I’ve become disenchanted with the band’s direction. I have continued to buy their albums but Simulation Theory will not make it into my collection, I’m afraid. In my opinion, they peaked with Black Holes & Revelations. Sorry Muse - I never expected pop music from you.

Muse is already a pop band since absolution. I think we already get used to it.

Since Absolution, only Drones that far away from pop genre in their respective era.

Dead Inside is pop; Mercy is a pop-tinged song with big guitars, and the same goes for Revolt. Aftermath is quite pop, too.

To sum up, not even Drones steers away too much from pop, beside the sound.

Dead Inside is pop; Mercy is a pop-tinged song with big guitars, and the same goes for Revolt. Aftermath is quite pop, too.

To sum up, not even Drones steers away too much from pop, beside the sound.

Pop in 2000s yes.

Edit : except you're talking about chord progression and song structure... Then yeah, Drones is still pop.

Edited by Odie

Pop in 2000s yes.

Edit : except you're talking about chord progression and song structure... Then yeah, Drones is still pop.

It's exactly what I meant, yes. :)

But to be fair, you may argue that DI, while being pop in sound and melodies, doesn't really have a structure that's common in radio friendly music (verse/chorus/solo(!)/verse/chorus/brief breakdown/extremely long bridge/double chorus/"outro" double chorus)

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

What definition of rock do you have that wouldn't include Stockholm, Hysteria, The Small Print, TOADOA, and arguably even TIRO and SfA (as a ballad)? This is most of the album.

I think you didn't read: "...if you talk about their structures". And Stockholm is obviously the least poppy about that, and there's also Hysteria to an extent.

I think any discussion of whether Muse/whatever is pop will go nowhere because there isn't a definition of pop that everyone agrees on. Some people say pop music is songs that make the charts (top 40 and stuff), some say it's accessible/catchy songs, some say it's songs that follow a common structure, some say it's all music that isn't jazz/classical and that kind of thing, etc etc.

I love how the term ‘pop’ offends people when it’s levelled at ‘their’ band.

Get over yourselves you mawkish cunts. Enjoy the songs you enjoy, don’t listen to those you don’t, realise Muse are a (very) minor footnote in the great pantheon of music.

Go listen to Dead Star, Muscle Museum, Take A Bow, Dead Inside and Map and remember Muse have always been consistently brilliant and shit in equal measures.

So I've seen the whole "Muse are a pop band Actually" take since I've joined this board but it was just always... strange. I consider rock to be kinda a subset of pop and the difference between the two vague but I find it hard to not consider most of Muse to fall under rock.

I guess I would just like to hear from those that disagree what definition of rock they have that would exclude most of Muse but include someone like, say, Elvis.