Are your FAVOURITE songs what you consider to be their BEST songs?

simplytom

There's no reason not to put a cover on your album if you do something interesting with it... Thinking there's something wrong with a song because it's a cover is just silly.

I feel what they did with Drones (the song) is way more interesting than, say, the beginning of The Globalist.

I love how it sounds, I love Bellamy's vocals in it, and I love his descriptions of it (both as the ending of The Globalist, and the "disturbing juxtaposition of religious/spiritual song and technological lyrics")

I just think, much like Drones the album, Bellamy somehow failed to get his point across. Unless the jarring "drones" lyrics throughout are illustrative of that "disturbing" juxtaposition... but I think that's giving too much credit.

I've watched interviews where he talks about his use of the word "drone" throughout the album, and been really impressed... but I feel completely differently listening to the album, unfortunately.

As for Drones (the song) I think it's brave and beautiful, but by the time I reached it on the album, I had reached my lifetime quota on the word "drones."

I admit to loving the silly little word changes and word play throughout the album, though.

nothing wrong with doing covers, but your album should contain your own songs ffs. if you feel like doing covers, do it as a side project, like dillinger's plagiarism. but don't use album space that could've been used for your own material. unless of course if you've run out of ideas, which isn't really surprising from today's mewz.

nothing wrong with doing covers, but your album should contain your own songs ffs. if you feel like doing covers, do it as a side project, like dillinger's plagiarism. but don't use album space that could've been used for your own material. unless of course if you've run out of ideas, which isn't really surprising from today's mewz.

They've been stuff like that for years though, it's not really anything remotely new.

The only thing that's changed is how long Muse has been in the spotlight.

We've all beat this into the ground, but it's not like there weren't shockingly bad Muse lyrics out there since... ever.

*cough* Newborn...

I think New Born's lyrics are pretty decent by Muse standards. Everyone gets hung up on that 'birth squeeze' line but squeamish imagery =/= bad lyricism imo, plus it's only one line.

They're definitely nowhere near as bad as Overdue, Agitated, Pink Ego Box and the like.

out of interest, what do you mean by structure?

Just standard intro - verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - chorus structure.

In my opinion, the better Muse songs don't follow that structure (or atleast it's not blatantly obvious). E.g. Knights, Citizen Erased, etc.

Although, admittedly most of their songs do follow the standard structure.

Just standard intro - verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - chorus structure.

In my opinion, the better Muse songs don't follow that structure (or atleast it's not blatantly obvious). E.g. Knights, Citizen Erased, etc.

how is CE not verse-chorus-verse? :erm:

I think New Born's lyrics are pretty decent by Muse standards. Everyone gets hung up on that 'birth squeeze' line but squeamish imagery =/= bad lyricism imo, plus it's only one line.

They're definitely nowhere near as bad as Overdue, Agitated, Pink Ego Box and the like.

I think the majority of Newborn is decent lyrically. I really like the tone and meaning. Just that ONE word/phrase bothers me.

I say the exact same thing about Drones (the song.)

So, fair example, I say.

And I don't know if I'd say "squeamish" per se, but there's something off about a young guy singing that line, and anyways it doesn't exactly make sense to me.

I agree CE and other songs don't follow the "basic" structure. However, Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome, Reapers, The Handler, which are some of the bests songs of muse are following this structure. (almost for The Handler because it isn't really the chorus after the solo but I consider it is the same thing).