Are your FAVOURITE songs what you consider to be their BEST songs?

simplytom

That is not how I meant it to look :$

If anyone is dumb as fuck, it's me for making this thread.

I already have opinions so it's not like "but x and y said that z are their best song so I think it's their best song". It's not like I base my opinions on what somebody else thinks. What can I say I'm an inquisitive guy who likes to know what other people think.

Just defending myself a bit here.

I still like the thread idea! It is an interesting peculiarity of the mind how some find a schism between what they deem best and favorite whereas others find these concepts inexplicably linked. It would certainly be nice if we could all just have some intelligent discussion about the concept, but so far not a ton of that has happened. We can keep trying though!

I still like the thread idea! It is an interesting peculiarity of the mind how some find a schism between what they deem best and favorite whereas others find these concepts inexplicably linked. It would certainly be nice if we could all just have some intelligent discussion about the concept, but so far not a ton of that has happened. We can keep trying though!

Exactly, that's the point I'm trying to make.

I'm now cornfuzzled...is it someone's birthday? Happy birthday then! :D

no, I just be tryed lyten up da mood.

I've always felt Butterflies & Hurricanes, Citizen Erased and Map Of The Problematique are three of Muse's best, most accomplished songs.

Are they in my top three or even my top ten? No.

shame on you.

That is not how I meant it to look :$

If anyone is dumb as fuck, it's me for making this thread.

paha don't be silly, I was only playing :)

I've always felt Butterflies & Hurricanes, Citizen Erased and Map Of The Problematique are three of Muse's best, most accomplished songs.

Are they in my top three or even my top ten? No.

Map should be :(

Here's the way I see it:

If I like it, I think it's good. The only time that isn't the case is when it's a 'so bad it's good' situation. I like Revolt quite a bit, therefore I think it's one of the best songs on Drones. I like LOTR more than the Godfather, therefore LOTR is a better film to me. etc. etc.

I don't see why anyone would feel the need to bother separating the two.

Yes, the answer is no. There is more than one thing to take into account. Nobody says that they've found an objective best song or film, they're saying what they consider to be the best song or film they've heard or watched.

That's only one part of the equation to take into account. And One Direction has more fans, but more people hate One Direction than Muse.

I don't give a shit what other people think. I do love them, but they're fucking awful films that hardly any effort has been put into. They don't deserve credit or love, which is why it's a guilty pleasure. You're the one who cares what everyone else thinks, because you're trying to dictate what people can and can't think and you're getting upset because other people look at things differently to you. It's none of your business how people view films and music, and so you shouldn't go around getting pissed off because they think differently.

You need to grow up. You came into the thread and, as the first post, tried to start an argument, bringing objectivity and subjectivity into the equation, despite them having nothing to do with the question.you keep getting angry at people who think differently to you and seem to think your opinions are superior. If you don't think that 'best' and 'favourite' are valid, why come here in the first place? To tell people how wrong they are? Because that's the epitome of childish.

Well in that case, I'll drop my case until someone actually tries to argue that what they consider the best Muse song is anything other than their opinion. My apologies.

Carry on.

It's objectively the best film.

No. Miami Connection is! :love:

Anyway, the whole conept of "best" is subjective when it comes to art. Here, you just don't have a valid way of measuring best, like best quality of a product in terms of durability and such.

BUT the title says "what YOU consider to be their best" and that's different. So, no, my favourite ones are not necessarily what I think are their best, cause, for example, I love Psycho (especially singing along to it) and I think the lyrics could be better. :D

Your aaaaaaaaassssss belooooooongs to meeeeeeee nooooooooooooooow... :D :D :D

Me too, my favourite songs are not the songs I consider to be the best (technically). For example, Citizen, Reapers, Exogenesis and The Globalist are very good, because of a great technique and a great songwriting behind the songs. They are perfect. Although I love these songs, I prefer listening to Hysteria, The Handler and Unintended because I feel something different when I'm listening these songs. I reckon Unintended is far easier to play and to write than exogenesis, but I prefer Unintended.

However, the songs I consider the worst muse's songs are mostly simple songs, like Follow me (with a great research with the guitar...), Save me...

I think we should create a new thread : Are your least favourite songs what you consider to be their worst? :)

I would like to meet Matt, Dom and Chris and ask to them : which songs do you consider as the worst you have made? I think we would be surprised!

PS : I have to learn more english because many phrases are a bit franglish :)

I would like to meet Matt, Dom and Chris and ask to them : which songs do you consider as the worst you have made? I think we would be surprised!

Matt answered this question once and said he thought Execution Commentary was his worst song. I think he was just answering random twitter questions or something.

Your English sounds fine by the way, there's just a couple of grammar mistakes, doesn't sound too weird.

this subjective/objective look at music is what i used to do before i grew a brain. im mainly kidding, but its ridiculous to try to provide an objective observation of music, and art in general

It's favourite/best, which is different to subjective/objective.

And, to a comment on the last page, Drones is my least favourite Muse song, but the idea of it and how it stands out places it quite high on what I consider to be their best.

It's favourite/best, which is different to subjective/objective.

And, to a comment on the last page, Drones is my least favourite Muse song, but the idea of it and how it stands out places it quite high on what I consider to be their best.

favourite being the one influenced by emotion/opinion, best being the one based on "facts", its very much subjective/objective and it doesn't work

I do hate nickelback too though .

I just find it frustrating when some sort of 'objective' plateau is reached in music or other media and people call it good because of that, but when I experience it I'm like, "okay, I get how this is interesting, but not how it's enjoyable."

I mean this was a lot of peoples reaction to Drones the song and it's an explanation I found very acceptable (it was a damn sight better than people going wtf is this shit have muse converted I hate change), but it's frustrating when it's my reaction to stuff people hold in such high acclaim, like most of The Dark Side Of The Moon for example.

I just find it frustrating when some sort of 'objective' plateau is reached in music or other media and people call it good because of that, but when I experience it I'm like, "okay, I get how this is interesting, but not how it's enjoyable."

I mean this was a lot of peoples reaction to Drones the song and it's an explanation I found very acceptable (it was a damn sight better than people going wtf is this shit have muse converted I hate change), but it's frustrating when it's my reaction to stuff people hold in such high acclaim, like most of The Dark Side Of The Moon for example.

It's frustrating because there's no justification . you can dislike dark side of the moon, or think it shouldn't be held in such high acclaim , but i think it's a masterpiece of an album. i will not hold however that it's objectively so. your frustrstions are shared !

The guitar solo and melody of the song are top notch, in my opinion. The song structure is not as interesting to me as some of Muse's other songs and the lyrics are not my favorite from Muse.
out of interest, what do you mean by structure?

Drones, the song, gets hate on several very different levels, one of which I think we can actually say probably isn't fair.

There's a LOT of the "this is a cover of something super old" or "this isn't a song" comments, which I find pretty unjustifiable. Like people are just bound and determined to (again) hate something that others will find too different or strange.

On the other hand, I have to say that the unnecessary addition of the word "drones" what I assume is upwards of 40 times in the song kills my enjoyment of something that I probably would have adored otherwise.