Still listening to Dead Inside and The Handler frequently and occasionally the Globalist. Other than that though I don't really listen to the album much and it's already wearing off on me. Reapers and Psycho are fun to play along to on guitar and Reapers I'll give a listen to if it pops up on shuffle but DI and TH are the only ones I'm currently finding myself actively going to and listening to a lot.

Pretty much how I feel. DI is the best pop song Muse has ever done and The Handler is legitimate top 5 Muse all time even after the dust has settled.

I like The Globalist too but it didn't live up to the potential it had. Middle section should've developed more instead of the same riff for 2 and a half minutes with 15 seconds of absolute beauty.

Pretty much how I feel. DI is the best pop song Muse has ever done and The Handler is legitimate top 5 Muse all time even after the dust has settled.

I like The Globalist too but it didn't live up to the potential it had. Middle section should've developed more instead of the same riff for 2 and a half minutes with 15 seconds of absolute beauty.

I'd put Supermassive, UD, Revolt, IBTY and Starlight above Dead Inside. Not that I'm saying it's bad, I just don't think it's anything special. The Handler is overrated as well imo.

That middle section of The Globalist is probably one of the best things they've ever done though, for me. Especially that last 15 seconds or so before the piano section. Shame the rest of it felt so uninspired and clunky.

That middle section of The Globalist is probably one of the best things they've ever done though, for me. Especially that last 15 seconds or so before the piano section. Shame the rest of it felt so uninspired and clunky.

I really like The Globalist as a whole, probably one of my favourite Muse songs. The only part I found clunky really was the quiet Western style opening into the metal section, I liked the rest.

I'd put Supermassive, UD, Revolt, IBTY and Starlight above Dead Inside. Not that I'm saying it's bad, I just don't think it's anything special. The Handler is overrated as well imo.

That 15 seconds of The Globalist I'd agree. Its up there with the other Muse moments that are literally jaw dropping the first time you hear it. But I can't get past TH being overrated lol. Just no way, it's perfect Muse.

But I can't get past TH being overrated lol. Just no way, it's perfect Muse.

Meh. Some clunky/generic lyrics, one dimensional solo that lasts slightly too long, main riff gets kinda old. I'm not really a fan of how it's mixed in parts either.

It's good but it doesn't touch their absolute best imo.

Meh. Some clunky/generic lyrics, one dimensional solo that lasts slightly too long, main riff gets kinda old. I'm not really a fan of how it's mixed in parts either.

It's good but it doesn't touch their absolute best imo.

The guitar solo wasn't the point of that section of music. To me it's supposed to be secondary to the development of the drums and bass. Specifically the bass develops into the bass line from Showbiz and then the song snaps into the lyric that references Showbiz directly. If the solo took the forefront and lead your attention in that section it'd be harder to notice that.

Yes, exactly. It's become possibly my favorite part of the song. I never get tired of the bass and the subtle drum change. I think that section is the perfect length for its purpose in the song, the turning point of the protagonist, and I think it's the perfect transition into the climax tied to Showbiz. It makes me view the song almost as a certain culmination of the band.

The first section of the Globalist is one of the most peaceful, relaxing and atmospheric pieces of music I think I've ever heard Muse create, and of course the rock section is perfect if short, but the third section is staggeringly below the level of the other two. It's just gotten boring. Why they didn't try to go for a more B&H feel I'll never know. I don't even mind that the rock section is so brief, it works well imo, but the final third is just pointless :/

Drones is pretty much exactly like BH&R, The Resistance and The 2nd Law for me - inconsistent.

Dead Inside, Reapers and The Handler are exceptional, just as Supremacy, Survival, Animals were excellent, Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra and Exogenesis too and also Take A Bow, Map Of The Problematique and City Of Delusion.

I don't really get the idea of something not being 'the point' when it comes to music. For me, what I'm hearing either stimulates me or it doesn't. I'm not really too bothered about the 'purpose' behind it and I'm rarely a fan of that purpose affecting the music (i.e. the theory that The Globalist's heavy bit is short to symbolise how quickly the world goes to ruin).

The first section of the Globalist is one of the most peaceful, relaxing and atmospheric pieces of music I think I've ever heard Muse create

*Psst* Nishe. Seriously, I could live inside that piece of music. That, and Screenager's chorus. Bedroom Acoustics is really nice too, but I tend to feel a little bit of tension at certain points during it.

The whistling at the begging of TG is a bit too harsh on the ears for me.

Drones is pretty much exactly like BH&R, The Resistance and The 2nd Law for me - inconsistent.

Dead Inside, Reapers and The Handler are exceptional, just as Supremacy, Survival, Animals were excellent, Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra and Exogenesis too and also Take A Bow, Map Of The Problematique and City Of Delusion.

Pretty much exactly the songs I'd put at the top of each of those albums except you left off Hoodoo.

I don't really get the idea of something not being 'the point' when it comes to music. For me, what I'm hearing either stimulates me or it doesn't. I'm not really too bothered about the 'purpose' behind it and I'm rarely a fan of that purpose affecting the music (i.e. the theory that The Globalist's heavy bit is short to symbolise how quickly the world goes to ruin).

*Psst* Nishe. Seriously, I could live inside that piece of music. That, and Screenager's chorus. Bedroom Acoustics is really nice too, but I tend to feel a little bit of tension at certain points during it.

The whistling at the begging of TG is a bit too harsh on the ears for me.

Just thinking about Screenager's chorus gives me chills. And I slightly agree with your part about my point of the "solo" in TH. My point would be more effective if they brought the bass up in the mix a lot. But to me that guitar section is just a backdrop for the bass and drums to play around on.

Edit: I know you're not really giving into themes or "the point" of a song but another thing worth mentioning is how the solo sounds hypnotic. And the repetition helps this. Again helping tie in the themes of the songs through the music itself without the lyrics even being necessary.

One of the things that struck me as such a huge success about The Handler from the very first listen is how well the instrumentals alone without even needing lyrics gives the song a "tone" and overall sound that plays into the dark theme so well. Muse doesn't have alot of songs that do this well. Think "Videotape" by Radiohead. That song sonically is depressing as fuck even without the lyrics. All you need is the instruments and the vocal melody. (not comparing these songs in anyway just another example of a song doing this really well).

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

Drones and BH&R are equally consistent for me. Both have one weird vocal experiment (SP/Drones), but every other song is good, the majority are great, and a few are classics.

Reapers is in my overall top 5. Dead Inside and Revolt are pop genius. The Globalist is on par with CE.

Everything else is good-great.

My main gripes are a) it needs more songs, and b) there were a couple of moments they really should have gone further, like The Handler's solo or The Globalist's breakdown. It feels a bit rushed, so a few more months in the oven wouldn't have hurt.