Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Best thing about this is a shitty quality recording makes it sound good. The pristine production that Mutt has been delivering with this is only going to make all these good tracks even better sounding on the record.

inb4 Unnatural Selection all over again

Matt in multiple interviews - The first half of the album is very dark and then it brightens up as it progresses

Tracklist:

1. Dead Inside - 80's synth pop

2. [Drill Sergeant]

3. Psycho - campy half serious sounding with a dark theme

4. Mercy - very light hearted pop rock

5. Reapers - campy 80s rock filled with 80s rock cliches

6. The Handler - ?The savior of the first half?

7. [JFK]

8. Defector - actually dark sonically and sounds like old Muse (from what we've heard)

9. Revolt

10. Aftermath

11. The Globalist

12. Drones

In recent interviews that he has given, I think he has been pretty clear that when he was saying the album was dark, he was referring to the lyrics. Although, it's hard to tell if the lyrics to Mercy are dark.

Lyrics I can piece

Help me

I fallen ?

I try to change the game

Try to infiltrate

?

?

Close to share

?

In my soul

Chorus:

Mercy!

Mercy!

Show me mercy

From the powers that be.

Show me mercy

Don't let me lose (?)

The rest is too muffled

Best thing about this is a shitty quality recording makes it sound good. The pristine production that Mutt has been delivering with this is only going to make all these good tracks even better sounding on the record.

I'm not quite sure if I like it yet but it sounds very promising. Also gotta remember this is the first time they've played it live and might not quite have got it perfect yet. Reapers improved immeasurably following the Belfast performance.

Psycho is way better live than on the record.

inb4 Unnatural Selection all over again

I still think that was a turd of a track all around. The songwriting so far (save for the weak simple chord payoff in Dead Inside and slightly long Psycho) has been strong. Compositionally (ignoring structure) it's been solid for every track IMO.

In recent interviews that he has given, I think he has been pretty clear that when he was saying the album was dark, he was referring to the lyrics. Although, it's hard to tell if the lyrics to Mercy are dark.

Well that execution doesn't come off very coherent when its backed by something as uplifting as this sounds. It's like explorers all over again. Pretty dark themes but the music just ruined it.

Glorious has a fantastic riff that is backed by the piano though. This is very pop rock piano as an uppermost layer. Eh, I can see why some enjoy it. Not the side of Muse I want.

Yeah.

It's a good song, but it's like Dead Inside for me.

It's not the muse I want to hear

I'm not quite sure if I like it yet but it sounds very promising. Also gotta remember this is the first time they've played it live and might not quite have got it perfect yet. Reapers improved immeasurably following the Belfast performance.

Very true. Reapers was 10X better at the show on Friday than the first performance of it on the UK tour. Hopefully they'll play Mercy for the LA show next week!

The bootlegged Reapers from tonight sounds fantastic compared to all of the other recordings, you can hear Chris singing and the bass is as loud and punchy as it should have been. Plus the vocals are all clear. It's definitely improved

Wow. Thoroughly enjoyed that. What I'd want from Muse for a pop song. The chorus is huge. Absolutely adore the bass line. Totally get the Starlight comparison, but I think this is a lot better.

That's what I think. It's powerful, uplifting. However I wanted a dark and heavy song.

PLEASE SAVE US HANDLER, DEFECTOR, REVOLT, GLOBALIST

So

Psycho+Handler+Defector+Revolt+Globalist makes 5 songs out of 10 that are heavy....ugh

Very true. Reapers was 10X better at the show on Friday than the first performance of it on the UK tour. Hopefully they'll play Mercy for the LA show next week!

Now that they've debuted it, I reckon they will! And maybe the elusive 'The Handler' might eventually show up. :LOL:

The bootlegged Reapers from tonight sounds fantastic compared to all of the other recordings, you can hear Chris singing and the bass is as loud and punchy as it should have been. Plus the vocals are all clear. It's definitely improved

Oh? Could you PM me?

Oh, where could I find that?

That's what I think. It's powerful, uplifting. However I wanted a dark and heavy song.

PLEASE SAVE US HANDLER, DEFECTOR, REVOLT, GLOBALIST

So

Psycho+Handler+Defector+Revolt+Globalist makes 5 songs out of 10 that are heavy....ugh

I think Reapers belongs on the "heavy" side. So that's 6, which is more than half!

Don't forget guys that this is the stuff that Muse is bringing to festivals like Download.

Remember when taht gig got booked? I looked at who they were playing with and basically said damn that gives me a good idea of how hard hitting the new album is going to be.

And then we get DI and now this? Come on. Full me once...well this is like the millionth time Muse has trolled their fanbase.

I'd love to hear this!