Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Definitely a very positive song in terms of sound, can't make out the lyrics except for the chorus bit where Matt sings "Show me mercy from the powers that be". The three things that stand out to me are the piano bits which I really like that are tied in with the great bass line and those two things are what drive the song, and Matt's vocals are really really good on this song. I'm sure his vocals will sound even better on the album. One thing to note though is that although the guitar doesn't dominate the song like it does in Psycho it still drives it as the chorus bit is rather heavy musically. But judging from the length of this song (4:05ish, give or take) I'm willing to bet that the outro to reapers they've played live thus far is on the album version as well because Reapers without the outro is about the same length, 4:10ish.

I don't hear synth, it's all bass. I think the person was just mistaken

There are synths in the pre-chorus, just quiet in the mix. It kind of comes at you with a 0.75x Take a Bow speed but it's effective. For people to enjoy this song, they need to take it for what it is (again) just like with Dead Inside. Not expecting dark emo Stockholm Syndrome stuff.

Definitely a very positive song in terms of sound, can't make out the lyrics except for the chorus bit where Matt sings "Show me mercy from the powers that be". The three things that stand out to me are the piano bits which I really like that are tied in with the great bass line and those two things are what drive the song, and Matt's vocals are really really good on this song. I'm sure his vocals will sound even better on the album. One thing to note though is that although the guitar doesn't dominate the song like it does in Psycho it still drives it as the chorus bit is rather heavy musically. But judging from the length of this song (4:05ish, give or take) I'm willing to bet that the outro to reapers they've played live thus far is on the album version as well because Reapers without the outro is about the same length, 4:10ish.

Tthat's the thing, I like it, but it's not what they promised

Epic lol at the person who said the song has no falsetto :LOL:

I was about to post the same thing. Also I'm questioning every "fan" that attended the show and didn't recognize the obvious Starlight connection and instead leapt to Glorious? Was that an elaborate troll attempt by everyone that attended?

In their defense I guess its hard to make out on first listen when you're hearing something you've been hyped for by a while, wait what am I saying no its not. It is immediately starlight 2. On first listen.

Matt in multiple interviews - The first half of the album is very dark and then it brightens up as it progresses

Tracklist:

1. Dead Inside - 80's synth pop

2. [Drill Sergeant]

3. Psycho - campy half serious sounding with a dark theme

4. Mercy - very light hearted pop rock

5. Reapers - campy 80s rock filled with 80s rock cliches

6. The Handler - ?The savior of the first half?

7. [JFK]

8. Defector - actually dark sonically and sounds like old Muse (from what we've heard)

9. Revolt

10. Aftermath

11. The Globalist

12. Drones

It sounds like something that would fit on BH+R

Yeah. I just keep hearing Keane influence in the piano, which I love. I think they were crazy to not put this out first. Although I'm certain they put out Dead Inside to cement the conventional "heavy" aspect everyone expected, this song is heavy for sure but not in the br00tal way everyone anticipated.

Matt in multiple interviews - The first half of the album is very dark and then it brightens up as it progresses

Tracklist:

1. Dead Inside - 80's synth pop

2. [Drill Sergeant]

3. Psycho - campy half serious sounding with a dark theme

4. Mercy - very light hearted pop rock

5. Reapers - campy 80s rock filled with 80s rock cliches

6. The Handler - ?The savior of the first half?

7. [JFK]

8. Defector - actually dark sonically and sounds like old Muse (from what we've heard)

9. Revolt

10. Aftermath

11. The Globalist

12. Drones

He never said dark musically ;) he said heavy and so far he hasn't skipped a beat with that claim.

Maybe he just meant lyric-wise.

This. Thematically only.

I understand the initial Guiding Light / Glorious comparisons. Both of those songs definitely have the same kind of up-temp vibe. Sure, it doesn't have guitars all over the place like Glorious, but in terms of melody, the comparisons make sense. Plus, the synth appreggios at the end sound a bit like Glorious.

Although, I agree, the bass line is totally Starlight 2.....and I'm ok with that.