For me it's: OOS, Abso, Showbiz, BHAR, TR, 2nd Law best to worst.

I've listened to the first three albums thousands of times and never get bored of them, the others are a bit more mixed. I'm hoping Drones will be above BHAR but I don't think it will be better than Showbiz imo

I'm identical to this!

If Sunburn or Showbiz showed up on Drones people would say they were amazing!

As for the guy who said OOS has no stinkers....Feeling Good?

Feeling Good's a good cover, it's just a bit out of place on the album.

I still think they should of put Futurism on OoS in Feeling Good's place and on the Dead Star EP replace Futurism with Feeling Good. They could of still released it as a single if they did that.

Feeling Good is good. Just not great. I don't think it is that out of place on the album, for a pop cover it is relatively heavy and the vocals were in line with the album. Bearing in mind the first 3 albums weren't exactly smoothly flowing it wasn't that out of place.

Does anyone remember back after they played Yes Please/Agitated live, Matt saying that's what the new album is going to sound like? And sounding serious about it, not the typical Matt is fucking around take it with a grain of salt.

Well what the fuck happened to that? We've all hinted at it but more and more that comes out the promised raw rock album has turned into the mixed bag pop rock status quo they've been doing for a while now that'll have two actual good songs (The Handler, The Globalist). Defector sounds good but if it turns out having a ton of the Queen sound in it like the reviews mention then well...

For the record I wouldn't want an album of songs that actually sound like YP/Agitated but it was promising that Muse was going to go back to writing 3 piece straight forward rock songs with a similar tone. So far nothing has tone to match those songs. They might be writing 3 piece straight forward rock again but when it comes off sounding like Starlight most of us are left here like :stunned:

Does anyone remember back after they played Yes Please/Agitated live, Matt saying that's what the new album is going to sound like? And sounding serious about it, not the typical Matt is fucking around take it with a grain of salt.

I thought it was quite obvious that he was joking tbh

^ yeah it's pretty weird how two out of the four songs we've heard so far aren't your typical rock songs at all.

what's even weirder is that I easily prefer DI an Mercy over Psycho and Reapers :LOL:

I actually agree. Dead Inside is the best of the 4 that we've heard so far. There's too many complaints I have with Psycho and Reapers to list that bring it down. But still DI isn't the type of Muse I wanted with this album.

I thought it was quite obvious that he was joking tbh

He didn't sound jokey at all. And around that time there were several tweets, and interviews that hinted at the same thing to the point where for a joke it was going kind of far.

I remember being in a Guitar Center (shop in America) and seeing a magazine with an article headline on the front cover about "Muse going back to their roots with raw rock album" It was talked about quite a bit on various media outlets. This was early 2014. If we went back in time to that year with the mindset most of us were in reading all that media and Mercy came out we'd be like wtf. That is my point.

Making an album full of songs like Yes Please and Agitated in their late 30s would probably sound fucking tragic.

Didn't read the full post. I don't want songs that sound like that. But it's not too much to expect the album to have straight forward 3 piece rock with a dark more serious tone and sonic qualities given all that was said about the album back then. We're not really getting any of that save (maybe) the two songs I mentioned. Which we don't even know if that will be the case yet.

Didn't read the full post. I don't want songs that sound like that. But it's not too much to expect the album to have straight forward 3 piece rock with a dark more serious tone and sonic qualities given all that was said about the album back then. We're not really getting any of that save (maybe) the two songs I mentioned. Which we don't even know if that will be the case yet.

All the songs released so far have pretty much been 3-piece rock though, with Dead Inside and Mercy having some pop sensibilities in there as well. Psycho, DI, Reapers (and most likely The Handler and The Globalist) all have fairly dark subject matters too. I'm not really sure what you were realistically expecting.

Edited by Jobby

it's just that none of the songs are actually dark :LOL: psycho is just riffing around, mercy is another "oh my souuul" anthem and reapers is like robbie williams/acdc/morello+that fucking shameless chord progression.

It sounds like a stripped back 3-piece album which is easily what he could've meant, and what Matt regularly mentioned later on.

Yeah later on as in late 2014 6 months ago when we finally started getting snippets on IG. But we still aren't getting what we expected if you took us back further than that. People have just been softened up gradually as DI and Mercy came out. And now the reviews are dropping people's expectations even more.

Tbh Dead Inside was kind of a smack in the face when it launched. I remember reading the thread as it dropped on my lunch break at work. That was the turning point where people realized we might not be getting that raw rock album. It wasn't that long ago but my people's mindsets on what they are expecting sure have changed since that release.

No one here can honestly tell me with a straight face back pre DI release that they were expecting an album where half the songs are poppy. Now we hear Revolt and Aftermath are poppy like U2 and a Coke Christmas ad. Combine with DI/Mercy. 2 of the tracks on the album are interludes and one is an A Capella hymn. There isn't much left when you consider all that.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

Yeah later on as in late 2014 6 months ago when we finally started getting snippets on IG. But we still aren't getting what we expected if you took us back further than that. People have just been softened up gradually as DI and Mercy came out. And now the reviews are dropping people's expectations even more.

Tbh Dead Inside was kind of a smack in the face when it launched. I remember reading the thread as it dropped on my lunch break at work. That was the turning point where people realized we might not be getting that raw rock album. It wasn't that long ago but my people's mindsets on what they are expecting sure has changed since that release.

No one here can honestly tell me with a straight face back pre DI release that they were expecting an album where half the songs are poppy. Now we hear Revolt and Aftermath are poppy like U2 and a Coke Christmas ad. Combine with DI/Mercy. 2 of the tracks on the album are interludes and one is an A Capella hymn. There isn't much left when you consider all that.

"there isn't much left for me when I form my opinions based on other people's opinions"