Yeah, we've had that review/lyrics for a while now. Some of the phrasing and grammar might be skewed in the translation but I imagine that the actual lyric is pretty much the same.

As for the Queen comparison, I think a couple of sources have mentioned the song has big similarities to Queen so that's probably pretty accurate (especially given that small snippet of Queen-y vocals we heard in the Making Of). I'm not looking forward to that, personally.

See I didn't mind that little snippet of Queen we can hear in the vocals behind Matt talking, seemed like it fit the song in a weird way, what we could hear anyway.

But those lyrics are a bit out there :LOL:

Everyone else probably figured this out a long time ago, but in case it hasn't been discussed, I just tapped Defector along with my Metronome, and it stuck at 79BPM.

That's what Matt's MOST LIKELY talking about being at 79BPM- they discuss the perfect tempo for the song, 'That's 3BPM faster,' in one section.

So yeah, it's 79BPM.

On the off-chance that I'm wrong, then it's bar numbers, but what they were speaking of, generally, it's the tempo.

Edit: okay, my bad, Matt mentions clearly that he's speaking of BPM range. I just didn't know how pedantic and specific Muse were with BPM! Apparently Starlight is 120, but then goes up to 121 in the upbeat section. Stockholm Syndrome is at 128BPM which is somewhat specific, but just 1 beat off for Defector? Wow!

Edited by rainer219

For those who pre-ordered, when will the album arrive, do you think?

Hopefully the day it comes out, unlike last time :LOL: I remember a lot of people had problems with the deluxe edition of T2L. A lot of them didn't arrive for quite a while and some were even broken/scratched when they finally did. Thankfully, I only ordered the CD/DVD version this time so I should be safe.

If you're on about the fact that it releases on different days in certain countries, I assume most people will get it on the 8th, maybe even a day early. Depends on the postal service though really.

Hopefully the day it comes out, unlike last time :LOL: I remember a lot of people had problems with the deluxe edition of T2L. A lot of them didn't arrive for quite a while and some were even broken/scratched when they finally did. Thankfully, I only ordered the CD/DVD version this time so I should be safe.

If you're on about the fact that it releases on different days in certain countries, I assume most people will get it on the 8th, maybe even a day early. Depends on the postal service though really.

Yeah, it came really late last time around. I did pre-order really late, though. Hopefully I'll get it the day of!

So what key is Defector in?

I may be wrong as I don't really have an ear for music yet, but the riff sounds like it starts on, for example, E, then moves up a semitone to F (Phrygian scale?), then there's the pause, before moving up to the 5th being B, then up a semitone to C?

Something like that?? I don't know. Musos, help me out!

So what key is Defector in?

I may be wrong as I don't really have an ear for music yet, but the riff sounds like it starts on, for example, E, then moves up a semitone to F (Phrygian scale?), then there's the pause, before moving up to the 5th being B, then up a semitone to C?

Something like that?? I don't know. Musos, help me out!

Which riff?

The whammy part at the end definitely sounds like it's in a major key i'll have a go at tabbing it later

Cheers!

Um the verse riffs. And what chords is the guitar playing?

*posted the actual tab in the Defector thread*

but yeah whammy solo is D major, only actual chordy sounding chords matt played in the making of were F and F#

I never expect anything from Dom's drumming myself so I never really have anything to personally complain about as long as it works for the song.

But normally his drumming is a lot more varied and textured. This time around it's mostly just been blatant cock-rock glam shite.

But normally his drumming is a lot more varied and textured. This time around it's mostly just been blatant cock-rock glam shite.

His "blatant cock-rock glam shite" is what works for the songs, which is more important than impressing anyone like you.

I'm a drummer myself, and I look up to the works of Dom's creativity in Take A Bow, Assassin, United States of Eurasia, Animals... He's definitely creative, but he plays what works with the music. OoS era Dom drum parts weren't particularly innovative but they served the music.

Just compare with the drumming on Stockholm Syndrome, Hyper Music or even Save Me. Thumping away is going to get very old over the course of an entire album.

You say that, yet look at OoS - thumping away most of the time.

He plays to serve the music, not to impress. Sometimes what he plays is ALSO creative and innovative, but for the most part, a drummer should play what the music style asks for. He does that.

His "blatant cock-rock glam shite" is what works for the songs, which is more important than impressing anyone like you.

I'm a drummer myself, and I look up to the works of Dom's creativity in Take A Bow, Assassin, United States of Eurasia, Animals... He's definitely creative, but he plays what works with the music. OoS era Dom drum parts weren't particularly innovative but they served the music.

i think he meant more just what we've heard from this album which while it works has still been very minimal, I don't think he was trying to rag on Dom as a drummer

It's great but not that great. This is the only thing people refer to when people say Dom is a great drummer.

That is very true. One sextuplet fill doesn't cut it.

And that other guy that said that for this album it's been 'eh' but that he didn't mean to rag on Dom, yeah I get that. But I wouldn't put anything else in place of Psycho or Dead Inside or Mercy. Reapers? Maybe a tiny tweak to the verse beat, but other than that, he's fairly on point.

See, I don't think it does work. It sounds out of place in the verses of Mercy, for one, and the lack of variation is part of the reason Psycho becomes such a bore. I'm not asking for some Danny Carey shit, just the thought he used to put into his contribution.

It's great but not that great. This is the only thing people refer to when people say Dom is a great drummer.

You are aware that like 6 posts above this someone has another example? And there are plenty of instances of great drumming from him. Simple doesn't necessarily mean bad.

His drumming is just sounding so lacking in energy for the most part.

Edited by bumpypotato

I never said I wanted complexity, certainly not on a Billy Rymer or Chris Adler level. But there's a key difference between the likes of Newborn (which is straight 4/4, but is played ) and Psycho in terms of drumming. Newborn's drumming (and really the drumming on all of Origin) is busier and adds to the song's momentum.

i think he meant more just what we've heard from this album which while it works has still been very minimal, I don't think he was trying to rag on Dom as a drummer

I was criticising Dom's stylistic choices, because I don't think it does work all that well. I'd much rather Psycho had a busier, more fun drum part (see something like Pantera's Cowboys From Hell, where the drumming bounds along with the guitars) and Mercy needs something more lively.

Dom has never been a particularly complex drummer, I get that. But he's generally played with more energy and variety before, which added to my enjoyment of those songs.

Edited by Alec.

You are aware that like 6 posts above this someone has another example? And there are plenty of instances of great drumming from him. Simple doesn't necessarily mean bad.

His drumming is just sounding so lacking in energy for the most part. The Mercy chorus is ace, though.

Never said it was bad. I'm getting bumpy vibes from you :phu:

I think Dom's drumming is fantastic in Reapers. Tight in the verses and provides a lovely groove in the chrouses. And he does some great cymbal variation in the outro which is something that doesn't come up much in Muse to the extent it is used here. (although that's hope the outro is actually on the album)

On to the subject of Dom's past drumming I think his drumming was great on OoS. What he did on Citizen Erased and Space Dementia is very good and far from just "thumping". If you look at live performances of these tracks you can properly see how good Dom is as he adds a lot of dynamics and ghost notes.

Although IMO Dom's best drumming performance for me will always be Ruled By Secrecy:D.