I find Reapers compareable to New Born in a way. Fun riff, the verses feel similar because of the guitar work and the excellent bass groove, guitar tapping and whammy wankery like the live NB solo's.

Really love the song, and ridiculously fun to play on guitar. If the studio version ends up being good, it might rank amongst a my favourite Muse songs.

Agreed. It's got everything I want from a Muse song and the guitar solo is probably the best Matt has done. If it pulls a Unnatural Selectoon though, I will be devastated!

Agreed. It's got everything I want from a Muse song and the guitar solo is probably the best Matt has done. If it pulls a Unnatural Selectoon though, I will be devastated!

If anything pulls an Unnatural Selection I'll... do things. :mad:

I feel like if Citizen Erased came out today, and it was played live first, people would talk about how terrible it is on the album. I think Muse have just gotten so good at playing live that it's nearly impossible for the album versions of any song to match up, at least for the heavier/rockier songs.

I feel like if Citizen Erased came out today, and it was played live first, people would talk about how terrible it is on the album. I think Muse have just gotten so good at playing live that it's nearly impossible for the album versions of any song to match up, at least for the heavier/rockier songs.

This is a fair point I guess.

There's only a small few songs that I heard live first and then thought they got better in the studio.

Off the top of my head: Hysteria and Stockholm Syndrome both improved off their early live versions.

Yeah I think even with modern production standards it would be criticized just because of how good they sound live now compared to their earlier days. I've always viewed it in the reverse, though: if I like a song, the fact that it might sound better live is just a bonus of the whole live experience, as opposed to it ruining my view of the album version.

Yeah I think even with modern production standards it would be criticized just because of how good they sound live now compared to their earlier days. I've always viewed it in the reverse, though: if I like a song, the fact that it might sound better live is just a bonus of the whole live experience, as opposed to it ruining my view of the album version.

I agree. So long as the track sounds it's best on the album. :)

I prefer the studio version of CE. The quieter bits lose some of their delicacy and feeling live. Also that goddamn synth.

If you're talking something like New Born or Bliss, then yeah no contest, the live version wins hands down. I think Reapers will fall into that category. It's already the best live song (so far) from the last three albums.

EDIT:

[Promotional talk about the album which leads to chris's singing]

How cool would of it been in the story of this album, Matt was singing one character and Chris was singing another character, so duo protagonists throughout the album (maybe each one on a different side). Then they both meet/collide in a big song such as The Globalist.

Definitely great concept! However, Save Me and Liquid State weren't quite the best, vocally as well as instrumentally.

And having the two come together on The Globalist would make it a cheese fest, like a duo... in any song... it's cheesy and lame.

But other than The Globalist comment, good idea! In theory...