Or they could just, you know, man up and do a proper 25-song set. They are 7 albums in now, and fuck, even Cure pull a 40-song set. Bands like Muse and Coldplay are rather spoiled when it comes to concerts. Short sets, expensive tickets, mostly playing hits... Especially Coldplay. Muse are even OK compared to those lazy bums.

Yes, I'm feeling pretty giddy right now thinking about the ~70 songs with lots of rarities and deep cuts over 2 nights of the Cure I'll be getting in June. And then thinking of the 17 songs Muse will so generously play next month, most of which are their top 40 popular songs. But oh, bells and whistles and drone balloons. Joy.

I think it's fair to expect them to play the hits. You've gotta remember that the majority of people going to see them probably haven't seen them before and will be looking forward to the staples like Supermassive, Starlight, PIB, Knights etc., I know I was back in 2010. Hell, most of them are actually pretty enjoyable.

The issue for me isn't what they're playing (apart from a couple of select songs like Resistance and UD), it's what they're not. Sets need to be a bit longer and there needs to be a couple more energetic, rock-ier songs like New Born or Stockholm.

tl;dr - (most) songs don't need to be changed, more just need to be added

Or they could just, you know, man up and do a proper 25-song set. They are 7 albums in now, and fuck, even Cure pull a 40-song set. Bands like Muse and Coldplay are rather spoiled when it comes to concerts. Short sets, expensive tickets, mostly playing hits... Especially Coldplay. Muse are even OK compared to those lazy bums.

I don't pay attention to Coldplay. Are they really that lazy with setlist selections?

I think Matt simply can't sing 25 songs at every gig.

Maybe not for some of the consecutive gigs where they play 4 or 5 nights on the trot. Don't see why 20-22 isn't achievable though.

giphy.gif

I thought Liquid State was alright live tbf. Think it's been said that Chris' songs are pretty much done though.

I don't think playing another 2-3 songs would kill Matt's voice. They're barely playing more than the festival set, and they'll surely do longer in the UK.

It's the one thing I truly think is just laziness; getting away with it "because they can," and it still really bothers me.

My set for TR was 15 songs long, and my T2L one was shorter than the average US arena set, too.

Started to get a little old.

And we can agree to disagree, but having to do something like IS because they need time to set up visuals is another prime example for me that the stage show has gone too far.

This is supposed to be about the music.

I don't think playing another 2-3 songs would kill Matt's voice. They're barely playing more than the festival set, and they'll surely do longer in the UK.

It's the one thing I truly think is just laziness; getting away with it "because they can," and it still really bothers me.

My set for TR was 15 songs long, and my T2L one was shorter than the average US arena set, too.

Started to get a little old.

And we can agree to disagree, but having to do something like IS because they need time to set up visuals is another prime example for me that the stage show has gone too far.

This is supposed to be about the music.

I don't know... Maybe I'm just naive but I can't believe it is out of lazyness. I mean, they did play longer sets in the European leg of the T2L tour, when Matt's voice was at its peak. I remember my gig (the first of the tour) having 20 actual songs + IS + Monty Jam + Host intro. That lasted until the last gig of the European leg iirc, then they dropped one or two songs, and Matt changed the G#5 to an Eb5 in Survival, always falsetto-ed the ending of Madness, etc.

About the stage, well, I don't think anyone here will disagree with you on that.

I can deal with Matt lowering songs, not doing the notes in DI or one of the Madness ones (ONE!) - but I simply cannot think of any reason for the short sets than laziness, other than they think certain fans don't "deserve" more - and that's an even more appalling option.

(Especially looking at even some US shows being 1-3 songs shorter than the rest.)

I'd still put "getting away with it because you can/because it's the US" under "lazy," though. Not giving it your all because of locale doesn't show much integrity.

IS is used as a really cool transition into The Handler. I didn't understand why until I saw it for myself. They have to go under the stage and get these sensors attached for the string tracking for TH visuals.

the funny thing is that IS has been botched at each and every gig since the drones tour started.

most of the time, it has been a combo of dom's octopad misfiring and his in-ears either wholly malfunctioning...or the levels being so off such that he can't hear the track. dom usually just gives up about halfway through.

but last night in vancouver was the worst -- the rhythm and the melody got totally derailed.

it's becoming quite hilarious / interesting to watch.

Knowing that Muse is still trying to tap into the US as a market and constantly gives it shit treatment is why they'll never tap this market. There's no logic in having a full blown rarities tour in the UK whereas in the US we're treated like pop plebs and tickets to those gigs are as good as sold before they even go live.

Knowing that Muse is still trying to tap into the US as a market and constantly gives it shit treatment is why they'll never tap this market. There's no logic in having a full blown rarities tour in the UK whereas in the US we're treated like pop plebs and tickets to those gigs are as good as sold before they even go live.

Maybe a bit nit-picky but I wouldn't really call the Psycho Tour a 'rarities tour'. Granted, there was a decent variety of old songs played over the whole thing but there were only really 3 or 4 rarities per gig.

I'm still so mad about Guitar Center and the Mayan that I pay shipping higher than the price of what I'm ordering and wait a week to buy shit from other places online, or drive like an hour somewhere, than go into their stores...

Muse's logic when it comes to the US is something I cannot comprehend.

They are obviously trying to draw crowds based on "big gig spectacle" and their reputation as "best live act" which leads to them dragging their oversized stage shows to an area that increasingly cannot support them, talk about losing money or breaking even on the tour, talk about wanting to not short US fans on the stage shows... and then give us short, often piss-poor (in contrast to other areas) setlists, cut out huge areas of the country and give us basically a micro-tour, and sometimes seem put out when shows don't sell as well and crowds aren't as enthusiastic.

Meanwhile, the number of people who bought tickets for one of at least three of these 360 gigs so far probably would have Hunger Gamesed each other to go to the Psycho Tour...

3 or 4 rare songs is impressive. We're not asking for much...

We would be willing to consider the inclusion of songs like Map, or even Bliss, AP, and CE as long as they are not rotated with insulting things like FG and Resistance.

Lack of obstructed view seating/standing would also be a bonus.

But seriously, the atmosphere of seeing the band in venues like that seems more appealing to more fans than just us here; how many tickets would the Webster had sold if it were larger, and how would that compare to the sales for the 360 tour in NY, I wonder?

3 or 4 rare songs is impressive. We're not asking for much...

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it isn't. Just not really enough to justify calling it a rarities tour imo, makes it sound like that was the focus of the tour which I'd say was actually the intimate venue size.

I'd imagine a real rarities tour to be a bit more adventurous in terms of song choice and include maybe one or two more. Maybe that's just my definition though.

>only

KAJCag.gif

^ see above.

3 or 4 songs in a 15 song set is obviously more than average for Muse but it's not really all that spectacular in the grand scheme of things. The majority of the set was pretty standard.

Edited by Jobby

They...sometimes seem put out when shows don't sell as well and crowds aren't as enthusiastic.

tbf, the shows are selling fairly decently. also, i wonder if the fact that both the band and fan base have aged a bit has anything to do with level of enthusiasm...

Lack of obstructed view seating/standing would also be a bonus.

i don't follow. is there an appreciable amount of obstructed viewing with this stage? i haven't observed much, if any...

But seriously, the atmosphere of seeing the band in venues like that seems more appealing to more fans than just us here; how many tickets would the Webster had sold if it were larger, and how would that compare to the sales for the 360 tour in NY, I wonder?

again, i'm having a hard time following. are you suggesting that they go back to playing venues of about 4-5K? also, the word on the street is that muse just isn't too keen on playing gigs of 2K or fewer anymore; in fact, i hear they kinda hate that arrangement these days.

did you get a chance to see them back in 2004-ish when they finally made it over to the states? those were the days...

I don't know if laziness is the right word, but preferential treatment, because we all know the Euro shows will get longer and better sets than America.

Rightfully so, though. When the crowd sleeps through most of the show nowadays like they do in the US, we deserve it.

Rightfully so, though. When the crowd sleeps through most of the show nowadays like they do in the US, we deserve it.

I'd probably sleep through most of the shows atm, to be fair.

i agree -- the setlists atm are a bit soporific.

i'd also like to take the time to acknowledge that ppl have become so addicted to fiddle farting around w/ social media posts on their mobile devices such that they have become, well...less than fully engaged at the gigs.

#antisexyplane

I can deal with Matt lowering songs, not doing the notes in DI or one of the Madness ones (ONE!) - but I simply cannot think of any reason for the short sets than laziness, other than they think certain fans don't "deserve" more - and that's an even more appalling option.

(Especially looking at even some US shows being 1-3 songs shorter than the rest.)

I'd still put "getting away with it because you can/because it's the US" under "lazy," though. Not giving it your all because of locale doesn't show much integrity.

America always gets shafted, because Muse still aren't that big in America. The band probably thinks other rare/older songs wouldn't be received well, and rightfully so. I feel like if they toured smaller venues here, they'd sell out way quicker and probably have a better audience where they can pull out a few oldies and whatnot. The fact we are getting Bliss/Citizen Erased and AP on this tour is a treat. (Much like RBS and Sunburn last tours)