Does anyone know how I can get a similar sound to the Psycho Jam that Matt plays after Map on the 2nd law tours, I know it's an octave sound but I don't know how many subs or up octaves he's using. I think he uses the same tone of SMBH as well on the 2nd Law tour.

Go full K&T and get a boss OC-3 :chuckle:

Jokes aside, I use that pedal for that sort of sound, but it’s not spot on.

Was this the best SMBH sound?

gxhWMyi7PWg

yes

It definitely sounds closest to the original... I don;t know what guitar he used to record it but it does sound massive. Only problem is the two P90s together in that guitar make it sound like a bit thin in the mids.

Could be worse....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqxDmekNPQA

Edited by roryj02

It definitely sounds closest to the original... I don;t know what guitar he used to record it but it does sound massive. Only problem is the two P90s together in that guitar make it sound like a bit thin in the mids.

Could be worse....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqxDmekNPQA

I reckon he used the Mirror Manson to record it. Sorta has that p90 MQ sound to it.

Also I actually love that performance. When the riff kicks in it's massive. Would definitely have it with the tinny riff rather than the fuzzy octavey shit they've got going on recently

I don't know. I was going to link that one as a reply to Dom's post. Is that not the best one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFq0-eGOOlA

Fucking fab

Depends what you want to do. Subtractive EQ works best on signals with a lot of harmonic content, so stick it after fuzz. If you want to give it a peaky tone like a cocked way, put it before.

Really, it's not a lot of effort to try both is it.

Totally off topic on the current conversation, but I got a Fender Deluxe Reverb yesterday and man does that thing do cleans well. Takes pedals pretty well too when you want anything other than clean. Serves apartment living significantly better than the 100W Marshall TSL :LOL:

Nice work, Silverface RI?

Yeah, the '65 RI. Never really realized how many artists have one of them in their rig. It's a great amp. Takes a little more than apartment volume to really drive the tubes without pedals, but it's fantastic regardless.

Yeah, the '65 RI. Never really realized how many artists have one of them in their rig. It's a great amp. Takes a little more than apartment volume to really drive the tubes without pedals, but it's fantastic regardless.

I agree, great amp, especially with an OCD. It helps to use the Trem channel, that has a touch more poke and gets cooking slightly earlier than the 'normal' channel. I can't use one at home though, still too loud for my neighbours.

I think that's just the same DI fuzz factory sound, but with some kind of octave effect. The MOTP one just seems to be an octave down (the guitar already has the low E tuned to C)

I'm not sure about SMBH. It seems to vary depending on what he's playing (listen to the octaves in the chorus bit) .. almost sounds like a ring mod at times.

But for all I know, he could have programmed a MIDI track for the whammy so it switches modes at a specific time. Unlikely though.

I came close on the Axe FX with a DI'd fuzz sound paired up with a sub octave (just a simple -1) filter and sweeped phaser but I could never get it exact.

I agree, great amp, especially with an OCD. It helps to use the Trem channel, that has a touch more poke and gets cooking slightly earlier than the 'normal' channel. I can't use one at home though, still too loud for my neighbours.

I'm running it with a compressor and the fulldrive 2 and it starts kicking in some grit around 3 volume on the amp. Enough to be satisfied with at that volume anyways. I haven't tried the OCD, but if I'm looking for more dirt, that's what the Marshall is for.