Jaicen or musecasters, I need some help with the neck P90 in my LP. I can't screw it down, basically. The springs and/ or screw would move

a couple days after I adjust my pickup height. I think the problem is the loose bushing. Sometimes the screw would suck the whole bushing up (?) What can I do about this? :$ Thank you for your time.

Pics:

vMT0THll.jpg

x7P0YOLl.jpg

In fariness, Hendrix complained of 'playing on nothing but ashes' at the Miami pop gig too, where I think they had rented Super Leads, so maybe he just blew up all his live gear. Remember those 4X12's had 4x 25w speakers in them, so they were right on the limit of what they could handle before the amp was pushed into distortion. Take a second to think about that!

Also I recall Noel liked the Sunn amps as they stayed cleaner, so not a surprise he was using the full setup. I know toward the end of the endorsement deal Hendrix was using the Sunn cabs with Marshall heads, before they gave up and returned all the equipment.

Strange. Looked like the same setup he's using in the video above (sound city head and a couple of marshalls, including a tremolo head of some sort)

That's true, but I'd imagine he used two cabinets with a single 100 watt.

Have you heard the royal albert hall recording from 1969? There's a video too, but they've taken it off youtube. The sound is really horrible in that one... you can tell he's a bit frustrated by what happens at the end.

Would prefer not to buy from there, so I figure that one off to the left (or maybe one in back) is the best bet.

If I were you... probably not.

I think the guitar and maybe one or two of the pedals could work for that kind of sound anyway.

I'd still prefer a normal right handed strat. Does playing a right handed guitar left handed like Hendrix did really have much of an effect on the sound? I know there's pole piece height on the pickups and all that, but otherwise, I can't think of anything that would make a massive difference :erm:

I didnt think it was THAT bad! I think they did a pretty decent job in the video, but it all seems like typical " well these are the closest we can get to modern pedals that Jimi used, so here it is" Fuzz face and Vox wah are kind of must haves, and any old Octaving fuzz could be great for the octavix slot.

but I know what you mean with the right handed strat thing, I don't particularly think that matters. However, it's a jimi edition strat and its within budget - And while I DONT think all strats sound the same, they're all pretty similar, tone wise.

Stay far away from any of the plain aluminum ones. Someone was selling the bodies on eBay a while back for around $600, and quite a few people have just slapped parts on and sold them as high end or custom shop ones.

If you check the serial, the neck is from a 2007 deluxe strat.

But you can buy this if you want :awesome:

https://reverb.com/item/2803627-fender-aloha-stratocaster-1995-aluminum-includes-case

I don't think they're worth that much, but I wouldn't know. I can't remember the last time one has gone up for sale.

I didnt think it was THAT bad! I think they did a pretty decent job in the video, but it all seems like typical " well these are the closest we can get to modern pedals that Jimi used, so here it is" Fuzz face and Vox wah are kind of must haves, and any old Octaving fuzz could be great for the octavix slot.

but I know what you mean with the right handed strat thing, I don't particularly think that matters. However, it's a jimi edition strat and its within budget - And while I DONT think all strats sound the same, they're all pretty similar, tone wise.

Nah, but I meant if you're someone like Jaicen, you'd probably watch about a minute and have to turn it off.

And I realize it's one of their "without busting the bank" videos, so fair enough. I do think they could have gone for a better amp though - probably something a bit cleaner that you can turn up for some overdrive tones. I don't think you want a lot of preamp gain in this case.

Never tried the Hendrix edition strats, but it's probably a good choice if it has lower output pickups.

Edited by james90

Jaicen or musecasters, I need some help with the neck P90 in my LP. I can't screw it down, basically. The springs and/ or screw would move

a couple days after I adjust my pickup height. I think the problem is the loose bushing. Sometimes the screw would suck the whole bushing up (?) What can I do about this? :$ Thank you for your time.

Pics:

vMT0THll.jpg

x7P0YOLl.jpg

I realize I'm not expert like them, but if you don't want it going anywhere (I don't think there's a reason to remove it anyway) use a small amount of water thin super glue. It should be just enough to keep it from coming back out.

Have you oiled your fretboard again? Be careful not to overdo it - I used to think it helped the wood from drying out/shrinking, but all it did was cause one of the frets to raise itself. :facepalm: It's pretty dry here most of the time, and I only do it twice a year at most.

I got about halfway in till Rabea started improvising then I had to turn it off.

They did a half passable job, but anyone who would actually want to sound like Hendrix could find a better setup cheaper, so, you know...

There's no reason not to glue those bushings really. I don't use them, I use long screws straight into the wood, and shim the pickups to the right height. I actually do think there's a tone difference to having the p90's fixed hard to the body. I know :facepalm:

I got about halfway in till Rabea started improvising then I had to turn it off.

They did a half passable job, but anyone who would actually want to sound like Hendrix could find a better setup cheaper, so, you know...

There's no reason not to glue those bushings really. I don't use them, I use long screws straight into the wood, and shim the pickups to the right height. I actually do think there's a tone difference to having the p90's fixed hard to the body. I know :facepalm:

yeah that

and I don't see much of a problem with the bushings, but I didn't realize they used springs. I would've just put a shim (whatever that rubber/foam material is) of some sort under the pickup, as I'd imagine it would be a bit wobbly with springs only.

Have you seen this?

http://pickuppocketputty.com/

I think its easier, just a shame its so impractical.

It really is. I've been looking into one of these - seems like it might be a decent alternative to an attenuator, plus it has some other uses.

http://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-md5zSQt550

I realize it's not in English, but that's the only good demo with a non-master 100 watt that I could find.

On a side note, I've not really liked the 1959SLP reissues, but that one sounds really nice.

It really is. I've been looking into one of these - seems like it might be a decent alternative to an attenuator, plus it has some other uses.

Its not so much the distortion, its things like feedback, getting that off a fairly clean sound is beautiful, with some delay/reverb its a hell of a sound. Just putting up with that sort of volume though...

Its not so much the distortion, its things like feedback, getting that off a fairly clean sound is beautiful, with some delay/reverb its a hell of a sound. Just putting up with that sort of volume though...

Yeah, that's what you lose with an attenuator. You might get the basic sound of the preamp AND power amp section working, but unless you're just knocking off a small amount of output with an attenuator (to protect the speakers for example) it's not exactly the same.

Speaking of delay/reverb, I do think that unit would be useful also because it has an effects loop. Might be overcomplicating things though... I recall Tom Morello uses all pedals in the loop, but I'd imagine if he's getting a decent amount of overdrive from the power amp, it wouldn't make a big difference either way.

Yeah, that's what you lose with an attenuator. You might get the basic sound of the preamp AND power amp section working, but unless you're just knocking off a small amount of output with an attenuator (to protect the speakers for example) it's not exactly the same.

Speaking of delay/reverb, I do think that unit would be useful also because it has an effects loop. Might be overcomplicating things though... I recall Tom Morello uses all pedals in the loop, but I'd imagine if he's getting a decent amount of overdrive from the power amp, it wouldn't make a big difference either way.

What has been annoying was putting together demos for a possible project and going for clean guitar sounds, getting to use the Marshall, especially turned up has changed that and just imaging having to play gigs with that sort of sound. :LOL:

I realize I'm not expert like them, but if you don't want it going anywhere (I don't think there's a reason to remove it anyway) use a small amount of water thin super glue. It should be just enough to keep it from coming back out.

and I don't see much of a problem with the bushings, but I didn't realize they used springs. I would've just put a shim (whatever that rubber/foam material is) of some sort under the pickup, as I'd imagine it would be a bit wobbly with springs only.

I'll ask my bf for some super glue and glue the bushings in, thanks guys. I wanted to try foam, but I threw away the old pickup boxes that came with the foam, uh :$ I don't think I can find a screw long enough though :$

Have you oiled your fretboard again? Be careful not to overdo it - I used to think it helped the wood from drying out/shrinking, but all it did was cause one of the frets to raise itself. :facepalm: It's pretty dry here most of the time, and I only do it twice a year at most.

Yeah, I did. Shit, I had no idea that it would affect the frets. Thanks for the heads-up James, I will oil it much less now. Back at my old place the weather was all fucked up, but here the guitars are in AC 24/7, so the fretboards shouldn't get too dry now.

I'll ask my bf for some super glue and glue the bushings in, thanks guys. I wanted to try foam, but I threw away the old pickup boxes that came with the foam, uh :$ I don't think I can find a screw long enough though :$

Yeah, I did. Shit, I had no idea that it would affect the frets. Thanks for the heads-up James, I will oil it much less now. Back at my old place the weather was all fucked up, but here the guitars are in AC 24/7, so the fretboards shouldn't get too dry now.

Did the guitar not already have the foam shims? If they still make those rubber/foam mousepads, it's that sort of material that you need. But I do know that they sell pre-cut shims (probably for more than a full mousepad)

I've heard about it rotting the wood as well, but I don't know if it's really a risk. I've not had that happen on any on mine (as far as I'm aware)

If you're really concerned, just get one of those things that measures humidity. I forgot what they're called, but I've got one (purely to keep the fret ends happy, as I don't actually have any acoustics to worry about)

I literally oil all my Guitar's twice a year at most, best not to get into the habit of trying to make it look as black as possible!

Yeah definitely. Twice a year seems fine, even for the ones that seem really dry.

Those mousepads are made from neoprene which will attack a nitro finish, so bear that in mind.

Personally I Think you're over complicating it. Measure the pickup height, and shim it to the right height using something solid. some layers of cardboard would be preferable to any kind of foam in my eyes.

Those mousepads are made from neoprene which will attack a nitro finish, so bear that in mind.

Personally I Think you're over complicating it. Measure the pickup height, and shim it to the right height using something solid. some layers of cardboard would be preferable to any kind of foam in my eyes.

They are? I wouldn't have recommended it if I knew they were made from neoprene.

And generally I'd do something like that, but doesn't it make adjusting your pickup height (if necessary) much more difficult?

Also, I saw this today and thought of you

https://www.mansons.co.uk/product/pre-owned-fender-custom-shop-limited-edition-1966-strat-firemist-silver-metallic-8456

Would much prefer a rosewood fretboard on it though.

They are? I wouldn't have recommended it if I knew they were made from neoprene.

And generally I'd do something like that, but doesn't it make adjusting your pickup height (if necessary) much more difficult?

Also, I saw this today and thought of you

https://www.mansons.co.uk/product/pre-owned-fender-custom-shop-limited-edition-1966-strat-firemist-silver-metallic-8456

Would much prefer a rosewood fretboard on it though.

Do like, not a bad price either.

Edit: Maybe I should have said 'some' are neoprene, I can't say with certainty but I'd avoid closed cell foam just to be sure.

Do like, not a bad price either.

Edit: Maybe I should have said 'some' are neoprene, I can't say with certainty but I'd avoid closed cell foam just to be sure.

Do you think a strat from that era (very early CBS) would've had a maple fretboard?

The ones based on those guitars (big headstock with the older logo) don't seem very accurate sometimes. I swear there was a MIJ model a while back which said it was a '68 reissue, but I thought they switched to the large logo by then.

:nerd:

The material I'm thinking of looks a bit different from that, but yeah, probably best to avoid in that case.

They did a '68 reissue yeah with the small headstock, as it meant they could do maple or rosewood and still have it 'technically' period correct, at least according to the Stratocaster Chronicles book. All the rosewood necks had the mid-late sixties shallow C carve though. The MIJ series '68 had a rosewood neck, the accompanying '57 was a thick v shaped maple. These both had the gold 'spaghetti' logo on small headstocks, klusons, 'fender' stamped saddles and pickups with chrome plated pole-piececs and ceramic bar magnets.

And yes, maple 'cap' necks were available as a special order through to around '69?? so this would also be 'technically period correct' I guess. Wrong logo though.

Edited by Jaicen