Looks like a CE-7, the original has the fret dots closer together, this one has them further apart :-)

CE_zpsgajomq40.jpg

Original

http://musewiki.org/images/Manson_7_String_E_Guitar_showcase.png

Manson CE-7

https://www.mansonguitarworks.com/assets/images/shop/products/main/main_91.jpg

:)

Looks like a CE7 as it's completely the wrong colour, and has a different fretboard!

Also, since heyjackk is viewing the thread, any thoughts on the drones tour ending and... well, you know :stunned:

Honestly, kind of upset they shunned us this time but at the same time I honestly wasn't sure I was prepared to spend the inevitable $150 on a ticket - they were 135 last time here and 120 the time before i'm just continuing the 15$ price difference again - for a shitty setlist and an out of sorts Matt.

If the sets were consistently decent and the performances good then I'd probably be a bit more upset but really the show just doesn't look worth the wait and the price these days.

#stillprobswould'vegonetomorethanonenight

Honestly, kind of upset they shunned us this time but at the same time I honestly wasn't sure I was prepared to spend the inevitable $150 on a ticket - they were 135 last time here and 120 the time before i'm just continuing the 15$ price difference again - for a shitty setlist and an out of sorts Matt.

If the sets were consistently decent and the performances good then I'd probably be a bit more upset but really the show just doesn't look worth the wait and the price these days.

#stillprobswould'vegonetomorethanonenight

Australia always gets some rare songs? Don't they?

I haven't been paying attention to the increase in ticket prices over the years, but I just looked and apparently the first gig I went to was $45 for most tickets. The cheaper ones were about $5 less.

Btw, James, how did you like that Floyd FRX on your copper guitar?

It's good I guess. Takes a while for it to stabilize with new strings (if that makes sense) but holds tune just as well as any other floyd once it does.

Australia always gets some rare songs? Don't they?

I haven't been paying attention to the increase in ticket prices over the years, but I just looked and apparently the first gig I went to was $45 for most tickets. The cheaper ones were about $5 less.

It's good I guess. Takes a while for it to stabilize with new strings (if that makes sense) but holds tune just as well as any other floyd once it does.

Kind of. Perth got Hyper Music and CE and Melbourne where got Fury and CE last time round I believe. Last tour was weird, we got Butterflies and Hurricanes here in Sydney but I'd already seen it in 2010 and it was followed by Explorers, UD and Guiding Light :facepalm: so I was a little disappointed :LOL:

On another note I want a strat again. There was a slightly relic'd cream one in Allans the other day and I was oh so very tempted

Jimmie Vaughn strat followed me home. Had visions of a David Gilmour build but got off track when I found out someone had beat me to the pickup swapping. Now she's a late 50's theme blues machine. Rings like a bell! I didn't need another strat, but need isn't really a concern in this game is it?

image.thumb.jpg.d34d8daf26d88a6939f419e72a848777.jpg

No not really. What pickups did they put in it? I'm thinking of replacing the ones in my MIJ strat, as 1) they don't sound that great and 2) they seem to affect intonation greatly

It's kind of complicated.

So, my plan was to evaluate the stock ones and swap to some duncans or maybe a BKP set. I was under the impression that the JV came with the texas specials but on the first play it was really just lifeless and just didn't impress me. I pulled the pickguard and it had two normal mexican (glued on ceramic bar magnets) and an umarked pickup in the neck.

I wasn't that upset because the guitar itself was freaking awesome, built in 1998 and lightly played. The neck is really figured and it's almost like a roasted CS piece with the natural age on it and the vintage tint fender sprays them with. Frets have plenty of life and it has the big trem block.

So I ordered a set of the texas specials and got them in last night and started to set it up. I figured for $100 I'd give it a shot. After exactly one hour of play time I can't be any happier. I also have a mexican standard strat with a blue, silver red lace sensor set that I'm really happy with. The Texas Specials are more focused and clear to my ears. I don't think the fat maple neck can take all the credit for the tone but your mileage may vary.

sure, they only have 2 albums so far, so it's not that hard to catch up :awesome: I'm having my boyfriend go through a CHVRCHES training regime so he can enjoy the concert too :awesome:

I'm not a fan of electronic synth pop stuff, so I have no idea why I like this band so much. Lauren's voice is just :awesome:

Will check them out now. I did look at tickets, and there's nothing particularly decent left...Not even with what I can get with the credit card I have (actually, it looked like there were better standard seats :confused: )

Not sure really. You're not going to the Terminal 5 show, are you?

It's kind of complicated.

So, my plan was to evaluate the stock ones and swap to some duncans or maybe a BKP set. I was under the impression that the JV came with the texas specials but on the first play it was really just lifeless and just didn't impress me. I pulled the pickguard and it had two normal mexican (glued on ceramic bar magnets) and an umarked pickup in the neck.

I wasn't that upset because the guitar itself was freaking awesome, built in 1998 and lightly played. The neck is really figured and it's almost like a roasted CS piece with the natural age on it and the vintage tint fender sprays them with. Frets have plenty of life and it has the big trem block.

So I ordered a set of the texas specials and got them in last night and started to set it up. I figured for $100 I'd give it a shot. After exactly one hour of play time I can't be any happier. I also have a mexican standard strat with a blue, silver red lace sensor set that I'm really happy with. The Texas Specials are more focused and clear to my ears. I don't think the fat maple neck can take all the credit for the tone but your mileage may vary.

Ohhh I see what you mean. I thought you meant someone put some proper better pickups in already.

Yeah the texas specials are great. Maybe I'll go with a set of those for the MIJ I have... I have no idea what it has, just that they are US made (not necessarily custom shop) and sound ok, but not great.

Will check them out now. I did look at tickets, and there's nothing particularly decent left...Not even with what I can get with the credit card I have (actually, it looked like there were better standard seats :confused: )

Not sure really. You're not going to the Terminal 5 show, are you?

Yay! What do you think? I think we lucked out with the tickets - sitting in Orchestra 3. I've never been to the venue though so I have no idea what the seats are like.

And no, I'm not going to the Terminal 5 show. Just gonna go up early Saturday morning for the Radio City show and leaving Sunday night :$ They're playing here Monday and Tuesday, but we kind of didn't want to go to a GA show, plus work.

The best ticket I can get is in the back of orchestra 7. I've never been there either, but it apparently holds just over 6,000 people, so the view from there probably wouldn't be too bad (compared to sitting at the back of MSG for example, which holds somewhere around 20,000)

also, Jaicen...

Oh I see that one on TM. it's so far to the left though. I'm checking Stubhub and the markup for the Orchestra isn't terrible, like $15. PIt tickets are going for $172 though, what :eek:

The best ticket I can get is in the back of orchestra 7. I've never been there either, but it apparently holds just over 6,000 people, so the view from there probably wouldn't be too bad (compared to sitting at the back of MSG for example, which holds somewhere around 20,000)

also, Jaicen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhSb9xSCgBo

:unsure:

Do I dare watch?

Oh I see that one on TM. it's so far to the left though. I'm checking Stubhub and the markup for the Orchestra isn't terrible, like $15. PIt tickets are going for $172 though, what :eek:

Would prefer not to buy from there, so I figure that one off to the left (or maybe one in back) is the best bet.

Do I dare watch?

If I were you... probably not.

I think the guitar and maybe one or two of the pedals could work for that kind of sound anyway.

I'd still prefer a normal right handed strat. Does playing a right handed guitar left handed like Hendrix did really have much of an effect on the sound? I know there's pole piece height on the pickups and all that, but otherwise, I can't think of anything that would make a massive difference :erm:

Do I dare watch?

They can't possibly fuck this one up surely!?

I'd still prefer a normal right handed strat. Does playing a right handed guitar left handed like Hendrix did really have much of an effect on the sound? I know there's pole piece height on the pickups and all that, but otherwise, I can't think of anything that would make a massive difference :erm:

Nah, plus he recorded with a range of guitars, amps and pedals. The basic sound is easy enough to emulate if you have any amp that is of that era, its just playing like him.

They can't possibly fuck this one up surely!?

Nah, plus he recorded with a range of guitars, amps and pedals. The basic sound is easy enough to emulate if you have any amp that is of that era, its just playing like him.

This.

Even with all the pedals and amp, I still sound like a poor imitation. I think there's two sides to the tone, completely apart from the way he plays. The live sound is very different to the records, particularly the later stuff. Plus I don't think most people can live with the sheer decibels he played with, that for me is a key part of the rich sustain.

This.

Even with all the pedals and amp, I still sound like a poor imitation. I think there's two sides to the tone, completely apart from the way he plays. The live sound is very different to the records, particularly the later stuff. Plus I don't think most people can live with the sheer decibels he played with, that for me is a key part of the rich sustain.

Yeah, that sort of sustain can only be achieved with volume, not being too afraid of a muddy sound helps as well. Do remember hearing an early live recording of Hendrix and its fairly bassy/muddy in that glorious stoner rock way.

Not really sure why they went with a tape delay emulation though, it wasn't a big feature in his stuff or ever in his live setup (To my knowledge). But they do some strange things sometimes.

Edited by haze015

This.

Me too. :supersad:

I don't really try to play like him, but I do tend to copy some of my favorite bits of his playing. Absolutely love that "backwards bend" (or whatever you call it) that he did.

And yeah, the sound is one thing - I have played the old Marshall unattenuated a few times, and it's just... it makes everything feel more difficult to play somehow.

Oh I know. I know he had a few Gibsons (can think of at least four) and he used Fender amps occasionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A5HkFMeidM

I realize it's not the best recording, but chances are, if you blindfolded me and asked me if that was his usual setup with the Marshalls... I'd say yes.

Don't forget, The Experience had an endorsement deal with Sunn (?) amps for a while, which he apparently kept blowing up. I can't say I've ever seen any live footage of him using those amps, I think there may be a tv show? There really isn't a great deal of Hendrix footage available it seems :(

Don't forget, The Experience had an endorsement deal with Sunn (?) amps for a while, which he apparently kept blowing up. I can't say I've ever seen any live footage of him using those amps, I think there may be a tv show? There really isn't a great deal of Hendrix footage available it seems :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6bTBp3hnh8

Really poor video editing and I have no idea what happened to the audio, but he's at least using some of the sunn cabinets (left of the Marshalls). You can see Noel is using a full sunn setup there.

I have a full recording + interviews of this show, and they do talk about the amps blowing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6bTBp3hnh8

Really poor video editing and I have no idea what happened to the audio, but he's at least using some of the sunn cabinets (left of the Marshalls). You can see Noel is using a full sunn setup there.

I have a full recording + interviews of this show, and they do talk about the amps blowing up.

In fariness, Hendrix complained of 'playing on nothing but ashes' at the Miami pop gig too, where I think they had rented Super Leads, so maybe he just blew up all his live gear. Remember those 4X12's had 4x 25w speakers in them, so they were right on the limit of what they could handle before the amp was pushed into distortion. Take a second to think about that!

Also I recall Noel liked the Sunn amps as they stayed cleaner, so not a surprise he was using the full setup. I know toward the end of the endorsement deal Hendrix was using the Sunn cabs with Marshall heads, before they gave up and returned all the equipment.