Seriously though, why do they have to rotate piano songs with other piano songs? Why does that have to be a thing? Why can't they rotate piano songs with non-piano songs? Why is it so important to hold piano songs in a separate category from their other songs?

Seriously though, why do they have to rotate piano songs with other piano songs? Why does that have to be a thing? Why can't they rotate piano songs with non-piano songs? Why is it so important to hold piano songs in a separate category from their other songs?

It's just the way they've been doing it for years I guess. It's probably also more convenient to have a specific section in the middle of the set for piano songs rather than randomly playing them throughout the set. I don't necessarily agree with how they do it, but I don't really have a problem with it either.

You'd rather have 6 minutes of shit than 3 mins? Fair play.

Explorers is catchy. Feeling Good is just shit.

some people are bothered that they're still playing covers when they've got better piano songs of their own.

This.

Cover? It's pretty much their song as far as I'm concerned.

:LOL:

but it doesn't make any sense

My two other favourite bands do the exact same thing, except instead of a piano section they have "slow" sections which works for them since they have more than three members and have full time keys players.

The whole piano section thing made sense up until the TR tour where they pretty much just kept doing it because it's what they had always done. Before that they would always throw a few piano songs after Citizen Erased or B&H (which does make sense). It just kept things flowing nicely.

Having Matt going back and forth to the piano at random times would feel weird as shit; he's already on the piano, so why not play some more piano stuff?

My two other favourite bands do the exact same thing, except instead of a piano section they have "slow" sections which works for them since they have more than three members and have full time keys players.

Slow sections as in playing a bunch of slow songs in a row? Because that does make sense from a flow point of view (except it sounds kinda boring). Or slow sections as in they grab other instruments and play those for a while?

The whole piano section thing made sense up until the TR tour where they pretty much just kept doing it because it's what they had always done. Before that they would always throw a few piano songs after Citizen Erased or B&H (which does make sense). It just kept things flowing nicely.

In what way does it flow nicely? Piano songs don't naturaly flow better into other piano songs than they do to non-piano songs, do they? Does the inherent sound (ignoring Matt's varying piano sound) of one instrument make it flow better? Or do you mean it kept thing s flowing nicely because there wasn't much time between songs?

Having Matt going back and forth to the piano at random times would feel weird as shit

He already does more positioning of himself in regular guitar songs than how much there is between a guitar and a piano song. In Plug in Baby in Rome he walked to the middle of the runway, started playing the intro and then ran all the way back, because of artistic reasons and whatnot. I don't see how sitting down at a piano is weirder than that.

he's already on the piano, so why not play some more piano stuff?

Because standing up is not difficult. Nor is returning to the piano later.

Slow sections as in playing a bunch of slow songs in a row? Because that does make sense from a flow point of view (except it sounds kinda boring). Or slow sections as in they grab other instruments and play those for a while?

In what way does it flow nicely? Piano songs don't naturaly flow better into other piano songs than they do to non-piano songs, do they? Does the inherent sound (ignoring Matt's varying piano sound) of one instrument make it flow better? Or do you mean it kept thing s flowing nicely because there wasn't much time between songs?

He already does more positioning of himself in regular guitar songs than how much there is between a guitar and a piano song. In Plug in Baby in Rome he walked to the middle of the runway, started playing the intro and then ran all the way back, because of artistic reasons and whatnot. I don't see how sitting down at a piano is weirder than that.

Because standing up is not difficult. Nor is returning to the piano later.

He does it to make it simpler in the arena shows i think, like they have the piano come up for piano songs and during other songs it goes down to allow his feedback amp to come up through the floor, it just means there's less time spent making sure the instruments are all good, checking setlists, etc and they can play sets of 20-21 songs as they have been this tour.

And it does flow better as a show for Matt to play the piano outro of Citizen Erased and go into a piano song as he's already on the piano so from a show point of view yes it does flow better, maybe not always necessarily from a setlist point of view but it makes a lot more sense to bunch all the uses of the piano together than to use it and then move it, bring it back, move it etc

He does it to make it simpler in the arena shows i think, like they have the piano come up for piano songs and during other songs it goes down to allow his feedback amp to come up through the floor, it just means there's less time spent making sure the instruments are all good, checking setlists, etc and they can play sets of 20-21 songs as they have been this tour.

And it does flow better as a show for Matt to play the piano outro of Citizen Erased and go into a piano song as he's already on the piano so from a show point of view yes it does flow better, maybe not always necessarily from a setlist point of view but it makes a lot more sense to bunch all the uses of the piano together than to use it and then move it, bring it back, move it etc

I guess it does kinda make sense if they actually move the piano.

But that's stupid too.