- The Icarus Line

- Jeff Buckley

- Kinesis

- Placebo

- Porcupine Tree

- The Secret Machines

- The Subways

- Vib Gyor

All have either been an influence on Muse's music, or have been influenced by Muse's music, or just sound similar.

Mew, M83 and Moby are pretty good....

Pink Floyd is also good.

Good call. I think I'm going to go with Floyd. I haven't listened to a lot of their material for ages (I played Animals on loop for a few days last winter!).

...but you did give Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Explosions in the Sky a listen, right? If not, SHAME ON YOU.

ohhhhh, just got hold of some Explosions in the Sky. ....sweet spot..... Love them...... :D Thanks for the reference.

• 3 weeks later...

'Philosophical rock'?

You might wanna try some proggy stuff, like (as has already been mentioned I'm sure) Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Pinky Floyd etc. - also try Transatlantic or Triumvirat if you like stuff with a bit of a retro prog feel.

(BE CAREFUL WITH PORCUPINE TREE. Their style varies from album to album; Sky Moves Sideways, On The Sunday Of Life and Up The Downstair are all older, weirdy psychedelic albums. Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are more poppy, whilst Signify is again a weird beasty, with elements of metal in it too. In Absentia I haven't really heard. Fear Of A Blank Planet is less interesting to listen to and I feel it drags too much. Deadwing is in my opinion their best album, combining the best parts of metal, prog and their old psych stuff into an album of pure gold. If you like it, you'll love it.)

I don't really know many other bands I could lump in with Muse, because they're an amalgam of many different things. It all depends on which part of their music you like best.

And yeah, Radiohead are usually a good bet. I'd recommend OK Computer and In Rainbows.

That's just bollocks.

+1 for truth.

Muse do NOT sound like 5 other mainstream bands, and I would like the OP of that statement to clear things up and explain what a mistake they made and how they were really talking about Radiohead. xD

+1 for truth.

Muse do NOT sound like 5 other mainstream bands, and I would like the OP of that statement to clear things up and explain what a mistake they made and how they were really talking about Radiohead. xD

++

OP: name said five mainstream bands, please. Oh, and while you're at it, name five mainstream bands that sound like Radiohead. :p

The National doesn't sound like Muse in general, but if someone told me Dom was guest drumming on Mistaken for Strangers, I'd totally believe them. http://www.myspace.com/thenational One awesome drumming track.

Radiohead

Nice try. Actually, after all that, I listened to Muse! :D

Favorite songs were:

New Born

Hate This And I'll Love You

Stockholm Syndrome

It's funny but the music is all new when you listen to it in a new place.

Nice try. Actually, after all that, I listened to Muse! :D

Favorite songs were:

New Born

Hate This And I'll Love You

Stockholm Syndrome

It's funny but the music is all new when you listen to it in a new place.

lol yeah i think your right there last time i went on holiday a week after i joined this board acctually lol i took my ipod with me and id only just heard the muse version of cant take my eyes off of you :$ be the end of the holiday id managed to listen to that track alone 78 times :$ :chuckle i listened to muse like everytime we got in the car, when relaxing, on the plane and practically all the way too and from getwick which takes about 6 hours for me it was awesome :happy: i dont think ive ever spent so much time listening to muse-ic :p

• 2 months later...
Queen.System Of A Down.Rage Against The Machine.Sergei Rachmaninov...Zornik,the band in which a friend of mine plays...and the list goes on and on.

Those bands you listed don't sound like Muse, they are influences yes but I agree that no band sounds like Muse.

So is you friend in Zornik or does he play their songs? :$ Mr.X posted a clip of Black Hope Shot Down on Muselive:happy:

Archived