Hey people,

This has probably been posted before, but I lack the wit to search the forums for replies.

I went on holiday to Crete last year with Muse on my iPod, providing me with many deep moments as I sat on the "philosophical rock" contemplating life and the Universe (I'd never istened to them before to be honest). Now I'm not saying Muse are all played out (I still listen to them) but for this years holiday, I'm looking for a similar experience. I suppose it's hard because Muse are somewhat unique in sound, but can anyone suggest some new music that would sit well with me on this years Philosophical Rock?

I appreciate your answers.

Robin

Hey people,

This has probably been posted before, but I lack the wit to search the forums for replies.

I went on holiday to Crete last year with Muse on my iPod, providing me with many deep moments as I sat on the "philosophical rock" contemplating life and the Universe (I'd never istened to them before to be honest). Now I'm not saying Muse are all played out (I still listen to them) but for this years holiday, I'm looking for a similar experience. I suppose it's hard because Muse are somewhat unique in sound, but can anyone suggest some new music that would sit well with me on this years Philosophical Rock?

I appreciate your answers.

Robin

Radiohead perhaps... if anything, am listening to Kid A right now... so my opinion is swayed... but despite that, I think Radiohead make good thinking music... it's very beautiful music... another band who make beautiful music are Keane.

Regardless of the music, I hope you have a great holiday!

edit: just saw your joining date for the Muse Board... Hi, Hello and Welcome :)

Pure Reason Revolution

65daysofstatic

God Speed You! Black Emperor

A Silver Mt. Zion

Explosions in the sky

Porcupine Tree

These bands have very thoughtful emotional music but not easy to get into though.

Bands that TRY to sound like Muse but are merely copy cats.. Zornik, Fightstar

Pure Reason Revolution

65daysofstatic

A Silver Mt. Zion

Explosions in the sky

Porcupine Tree

These bands have very thoughtful emotional music but not easy to get into though.

post-rock? doesn't sound like my00ze to me. :stunned:

Amazing bands though! (GY!BE, Explosions in the Sky...)

Well ok, I'll tell you what's on my iPod at the moment. I apologise in advance if any of the following is too distressing for the reader:

Muse

Kean

Coldplay

Radiohead

Supergrass

The Hoosiers

Editors

Kaiser Chiefs

Arctic Monkeys

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 2 in C Minor :D

post-rock? doesn't sound like my00ze to me. :stunned:

Amazing bands though! (GY!BE, Explosions in the Sky...)

Well I was going for the more Philosophical approach like the thread maker noted. It is very hard to pick out a band that is similar to Muse.

Well ok, I'll tell you what's on my iPod at the moment. I apologise in advance if any of the following is too distressing for the reader:

Muse

Kean

Coldplay

Radiohead

Supergrass

The Hoosiers

Editors

Kaiser Chiefs

Arctic Monkeys

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 2 in C Minor :D

:noey: Definately try out those bands.

Pure Reason Revolution

65daysofstatic

A Silver Mt. Zion

Explosions in the sky

Porcupine Tree

That.

Pure Reason Revolution

65daysofstatic

A Silver Mt. Zion

Explosions in the sky

Porcupine Tree

I just listened to Pure Reason Revolution and I have to say it was totally lacking in emotional energy (yes, yes I know, I'm a pompous ass). I couldn't make out the difference between the songs on the album either. Chosing a track was a bit like trying to distingush between a spoonful of porridge taken from one side of the bowl over one taken from the other. It's all YUK!

Fightstar faired better. I got quite excited about `Floods'. Still something missing though. I can't quite put my finger on it.

When are Muse going to release another album? :(

I just listened to Pure Reason Revolution and I have to say it was totally lacking in emotional energy (yes, yes I know, I'm a pompous ass). I couldn't make out the difference between the songs on the album either. Chosing a track was a bit like trying to distingush between a spoonful of porridge taken from one side of the bowl over one taken from the other. It's all YUK!

Fightstar faired better. I got quite excited about `Floods'. Still something missing though. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

Pure Reason Revolution

65daysofstatic

A Silver Mt. Zion

Explosions in the sky

Porcupine Tree

This band = muse like amazingness

http://www.myspace.com/futslung

Can someone pleeeeeeease check this band out, they have a muse like amazingness to them!

The song Out of the box is a has elements of Butterflies & Hurricanes and Knights of Cydonia to it.....epic :D:D:D:D

They are a support band and perhaps they should stay that way; not bad, but not exceptional either (just imho!). I can't listen to just any old tat on my Philosophical Rock you know.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeext.

They are a support band and perhaps they should stay that way; not bad, but not exceptional either (just imho!). I can't listen to just any old tat on my Philosophical Rock you know.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeext.

Sorry but "philosophical rock" sounds rather elitist. If you want something where the music takes you on a journey then those bands I listed are a good start. If you mean lyric wise then can't really help you. Also try "Battles" they are rather unusual but unique. Also "Mr. Bungle" as well.

Sorry but "philosophical rock" sounds rather elitist. If you want something where the music takes you on a journey then those bands I listed are a good start. If you mean lyric wise then can't really help you. Also try "Battles" they are rather unusual but unique. Also "Mr. Bungle" as well.

Oh, it isn't Elitist. Well ok, I suppose it is on a personal level, yes, because we don't all like the same sounds, but the fact we're on this forum leads me to believe we all like Muse. If something sounds bland to me, it's a subjective personal thing I suppose, so you shouldn't take it personally. I'm listening to Black Sabbath right now, which probably demonstrates my point quite well :LOL:.

...but you did give Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Explosions in the Sky a listen, right? If not, SHAME ON YOU.

Archived