Ultimate Guitar - Muse Threatened to fire bassist over boosing

Marinator

Eh, who cares. He was an alcoholic. It's not like he had a life threatening illness. This is just a selling point for T2L.

Wow.

So, you're saying is that my mom's first husband didn't die of alcoholism but just because of a random reason? Okay, then, I guess I had it all wrong.

Eh, who cares. He was an alcoholic. It's not like he had a life threatening illness. This is just a selling point for T2L.

That's a very ignorant comment, I know everyone else has got it covered as how stupid it is as well. But still, very ignorant and really uncalled for.

Chill out folks. I know people die from alcoholism. All I'm saying is that, they're kind of overdoing it with the constant mentioning of the fact that Chris was an alcoholic. Tons of bands have alcoholics in them, and tons of those people sobered up. Why they're forcing this selling point down our throats, I don't know. That was my point. I'm not being insensitive to alcoholism. I'm just saying, enough already.

Chill out folks. I know people die from alcoholism. All I'm saying is that, they're kind of overdoing it with the constant mentioning of the fact that Chris was an alcoholic. Tons of bands have alcoholics in them, and tons of those people sobered up. Why they're forcing this selling point down our throats, I don't know. That was my point. I'm not being insensitive to alcoholism. I'm just saying, enough already.

Yeah, because knowing that the bassist was alcoholic boosts the sales of the new album so much...

They're mentioning the fact that Chris was an alcoholic because there are two songs on the album talking about that. And they talk a lot about those songs because they're written by Chris and this is a new thing for the band.

Yeah, because knowing that the bassist was alcoholic boosts the sales of the new album so much...

They're mentioning the fact that Chris was an alcoholic because there are two songs on the album talking about that. And they talk a lot about those songs because they're written by Chris and this is a new thing for the band.

There have been tons of times they've mentioned Chris and his alcoholism without even mentioning Save Me and/or Liquid State.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VmhV9DKH44&list=FLUxRirb5nvqZ4iX3AfaQdww&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Sorry if you don't think three people remaining together through adversity, and helping to possibly save the lives of one of their friends isn't newsworthy...

Just because alcoholism is more of a choice than, say, getting cancer, doesn't mean you can/should just blow it off.

It was 10 years of the life of this band, so yeah, it's going to get talked about.

Sorry if you don't think three people remaining together through adversity, and helping to possibly save the lives of one of their friends isn't newsworthy...

Just because alcoholism is more of a choice than, say, getting cancer, doesn't mean you can/should just blow it off.

It was 10 years of the life of this band, so yeah, it's going to get talked about.

Fair enough. I just think they're overdoing it.

When I see your pic, all I can see before me is Dom saying "You're fired" (think The Apprentice) with that face

:chuckle:

Dom seemed pretty awkward talking about it in that interview, like he wanted to show how much it meant to him that chris had changed but didn't know how to word it without talking to much about something so personal to chris

I'm no medical researcher but there's different schools of thought on how much of a "choice" addiction is. I'm sure anyone interested could google up some reading on it if they want to learn more.

I think it's pretty well accepted that addiction isn't a "choice" and that some people are more prone to addiction even of things like alcohol and gambling (which are, generally, less 'addictive' than, say, heroin/etc.)

And less likely to be able to quit themselves.

Whether it's genetic or not, is up for debate, still.

However, what I meant is the reason people are less sympathetic overall to people with addictions, is because it's initially a personal choice to start up something - whether it's crack, or drinking.

That, and with things like drinking being so common, it's harder for people to realize that what might not be an addiction to THEM is devistating to someone else.

My interpretation of the "coming out" over Chris' alcoholism is that there are fans who care about the band members and that it gives some background to the songs he wrote as well. A lot of people have gone through the same situation in their lives - either themselves or someone they know, and it fucking sucks. Sometimes it's nice to hear about someone who did get the better of it. Too often it's just swept under the rug, tiptoed around or whatever, people pretend it doesn't exist for so long, sometimes for far too long and it's too late.

This

Putting aside some ignorant comments which have been made...

I think it's very worthy of Muse being very open on this subject (whilst not ripping into Chris in public). The fanbase of the band includes a great many teenagers and we should all know there's a big problem with under-age and excessive drinking in the UK.

Revealing Chris's troubles, and how much it affected those he is supposed to work and live closest to, should be (literally) be a sobering thought to anyone who abuses alcohol.

I don't know if it's something he would be comfortable doing (perhaps it was the alcohol which kept him away from interviews, perhaps not), but he could do worse than become involved in a BBC documentary about his battle with the bottle.

Archived