Download? Album needs to be as heavy if not heavier then Origin, because unless they play a set largely consisting of their rockier back catalogue material the lads will stick out like a sore thumb.

As heavy as Origin? What songs on Origin were actually heavy? New Born and CE would stick out like a sore thumb next to the bands they're playing with. I think the bands they're headlining over at Download is indication that this album might be properly heavy Muse, which makes me a bit worried to say the least.

I still can't believe that they announced a plan before going in to the studio and so far everything points towards that they have actually stuck to it. I seriously can't wait for the next tour/album :D

Things happen when your contract with Warner expires. Seriously who remembers back during the stadiums after Yes Please and Agitated where Matt said something along the lines of be ready to expect more of that, its what the new album will sound like; and actually for maybe the first time ever sounded 100% serious.

As heavy as Origin? What songs on Origin were actually heavy? New Born and CE would stick out like a sore thumb next to the bands they're playing with. I think the bands they're headlining over at Download is indication that this album might be properly heavy Muse, which makes me a bit worried to say the least.

What's properly heavy Muse then? Micro Cuts? Dead Star?

Heavy is relative. Compared to Muse's catalog I expect this album to be heavy. Compared to other Download acts, not so much.

What's properly heavy Muse then? Micro Cuts? Dead Star?

Heavy is relative. Compared to Muse's catalog I expect this album to be heavy. Compared to other Download acts, not so much.

Yeah you pretty much said it. Muse hasn't really every done anything heavy relative to what most people use that word to define or what the acts they're playing with are going to be playing. I guess we'll see.

Speaking anecdotally here, but Origin seemed to get a good number of listeners from fans of heavier music, even if it wasn't on an equal level.

BUT, a lot of current listeners are not really from that era anymore so heavier older songs might even get less of a reaction than the modern singles.

Speaking anecdotally here, but Origin seemed to get a good number of listeners from fans of heavier music, even if it wasn't on an equal level.

BUT, a lot of current listeners are not really from that era anymore so heavier older songs might even get less of a reaction than the modern singles.

This is a really good point. Origin and Absolution were what fully converted me to Muse and then alot of other bands back in 2003. A year before that my two favorite bands were Deftones and Slipknot. So that says something. Finding Muse was like an enlightening experience.

There are always dissenters with festival line-ups. Muse will pull a MASSIVE crowd at Download. They have been a mainstay of Kerrang! for years which has brought zillions of angsty teens up on a diet of near-properly heavy music.

It's how I got into Muse tbh. I'm astonished they've not played Download until now frankly.

I understand the Mutt Lange producing thing but where did Matt say he was being influenced more by Classic Rock and AC/DC in particular?

I can't point you to a source directly (I'm sure somebody else will), but it was mentioned in a couple of interviews last year as I recall. Matt mentioned that he'd been listening to Back in Black in particular, I think.

It really does seem like they're being legit about a heavier album. I'm still not holding on excitement though after what happened when Linkin Park did the same thing.

It's really a question of whether they have any ideas other than "let's go heavy". That's what killed The Hunting Party (along with the absence of dynamics and good riffs).

I'll see if I can find the interview when I get home; using an old iPod for anything is beyond terrible.

Too many people remember them, though, for us to be blowing this out our asses.

Even when the producer Instagram hit, it was "ACDC album confirmed" - because Matt had already talked about it... several times.

Speaking of Instagram, now that I don't have nearly daily cute pictures to look forward too, I'm back to being negative about the upcoming album. I guess they really were working. :LOL:

Muse being influenced by something in no way relates to it actually sounding like the influence. I mean how many ridiculous influences has Matt cited which appear to bare no relation to the song/album in question. And furthermore how many obvious influences has Matt completely ignored when talking about influences.

Some of the past songs have definitely sounded a bit too Queen for my liking, so some of the influences do come through very strongly.

I was already thinking "please, god, no" after Helsinki... so the "ACDC producer" didn't really phase me.

It's not like getting Mutt Lange is what's going to make the album sound like Back in Black.

(It would be the band telling him to help them make it that way...)

What happened to Matt saying it was sort of between Abso and BH&R? Was that a legitimate quote?

Examples?

Supermassive Blackhole being influenced by Prince and Kayne West - http://www.musewiki.org/Discussion_in_London_(200605_Rock_Mag_article)

Time is Running Out sounds like Billie Jean by MJ - http://www.musewiki.org/Rip_It_Up_2007-12-03_%E2%80%93_Tales_of_the_Tracks

Uprising is a "heavy-rock take on Goldfrapp" - http://www.musewiki.org/Progressive_stadium_rock_three_dream_up_album_five_(2009-07_Mojo_article)

Archived