Also Fabri I'm pretty sure a producer does take the role of a mixer sometimes.

Rich Costey produced and mixed Absolution and BHAR, but it's actually pretty rare that a producer mixes as well.

Well from being a big fan of both AC/DC and foreigner I've done my fair share of reading about Mutt. What always seems to come over is that he's the sort of man you go to with a idea for an album but your not completely sure how to produce that said idea, for AC/DC they asked Mutt to basically keep them on track as they were having trouble actually creating songs rather than just a collection of riffs.

According to Mick Jones of foreigner he decided to get Mutt on board for foreigner 4 as they the had ideas for songs but couldn't see how to get them to fit in to the album and mutt helped them do that.

From what I've gathered he was quite a task master when he was younger, basically I think his way of producing (for rock bands at least) seems to be you tell him what you want the end product to be and he keeps you on track. I know Angus young mentioned during recording for highway to hell he actually wanted to punch mutt as he found him to be over bearing but was told to cool it from the rest of the band and wait to see the result, needless to say he was happy as they had him back for 2 more albums!

What he is like now days, who knows!

Thanks for the first useful post in the producer debate :)

Producer = project manager is my understanding.

Sort of. The producer is whatever he needs to be for the project.

On the Led Zep records they always used purely technical producers since the band had the knowledge and talent to achieve the sounds they wanted. So they'd just say to the producer "We want to throw up a few more mics for more ambiance" and he'd go do it.

Whereas someone like Neil Rodgers is much more creative. He'll come up with parts for a song that he feels it needs and will try to add his own stamp on the song. He then leaves the technical side of thing to the engineer.

Yeah, to go really old school: Joe Meek, Maurice Starr, Phil Spektor.

And, especially in pop music, but not exclusively, if you look at song credits, it's very common to see a producer listed as at least a co-writer.

Although, it's also very common for (again, especially pop music) to have individual songs all done by different producers.

And then, I've read how some producers just act as mentors, or advisors. I think Rick Rueben was known for that, but I could be mistaken.

Yeah, to go really old school: Joe Meek, Maurice Starr, Phil Spektor.

And, especially in pop music, but not exclusively, if you look at song credits, it's very common to see a producer listed as at least a co-writer.

Although, it's also very common for (again, especially pop music) to have individual songs all done by different producers.

And then, I've read how some producers just act as mentors, or advisors. I think Rick Rueben was known for that, but I could be mistaken.

And in the world of dance, hiphop, boy(girl)bands and completely produced pop the producer can be even more hands on.

(This is all to illustrate why there is confusion about the role of a producer, not to speculate on the role of Lange on Muse's new album, which obviously won't be as hands on.)

that's something I've always found repulsive.

It's disgusting in my opinion.

What if the producer writes a raw song though

When producers write songs I just think it's a shame because they don't get any credit for it, only the "artist" does.

Not always true.

Archived