BH&R has some of the most memorable lyrics for me. Either more big chant stuff like Take A Bow or something like MotP or Hoodoo.

Yep. And I like City of Delusion in the context of the song.

Uprising's lyrics are pretty good

lol

Just because it's easy to understand and it rhymes doesn't mean it's shit :phu:

On a more serious note, I think another part of the problem with Matt's lyrics recently has been his delivery of them, which to me has become more overly enunciated and pretentious. It's not always a bad thing, but it generally detracts from the lyrics themselves and I do feel like he's lost most if not all of the intensity he showed in the "I wish I could"s in SS and in the final chorus of RBS, to give just 2 examples.

Yeah not sure we'll see Chris on lead vocals again. He always said he reached new levels of nervousness before he took lead vocals live.

Yeah, his songs were good enough on the album, if not a little underdeveloped, but live they remained uncomfortable at best and horribly off-key at worst.

He should keep going though, it's good stuff, just not good enough to become the temporary lead singer of Muse.

Yeah, his songs were good enough on the album, if not a little underdeveloped, but live they remained uncomfortable at best and horribly off-key at worst.

He should keep going though, it's good stuff, just not good enough to become the temporary lead singer of Muse.

Liquid State was a live highlight for me

Even if the lyrics are good they still stem from his ridiculous conspiracy theories and he's not actually saying anything of value. I mean I think Immortal Technique's lyrics are brilliantly written too but he spends his time going on about how 9/11 is an inside-job and shit.

Matt has managed to touch on a couple of real issues in the world but most of his later lyrics from BHAR onwards just come out of having a bit of knowledge about vastly complicated things and then writing lyrics which perfectly display the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Map of the Problematique, Hoodoo and Take a Bow have fantastic lyrics, as does CoD in the context with the song

Liquid State was a live highlight for me

Same for me, it was nice to see Matt running around the stage all hyper, hear a chunky riff and just see the band having fun. Chris did often look uncomfortable singing his songs live but that's to be expected, having gone from singing just ooo's and ahhhh's and emphasising the occasional chorus behind matt to taking lead vocal duties in front of 20-70,000 people.

I would love to see Chris do more vocals on the album. Not necessarily as lead, though.

This.

I thought it was a nice change to see Chris on lead but Save Me was a weak song live and didn't really fit the album.

I think another loud track with Chris on lead would be alright as a bside or bonus track. It is fun and Matt loves not having to worry about singing 👍

I guess when you have a lead singer as great as Matt it's hard being in his shadow; especially when you haven't sung lead before!

I wish they had brought The Small Print back on the T2L to play alongside Liquid State, that would have rocked :awesome:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNd4fD6ob3g

it's performances like this and Stockholm from '04 that make me wish on some heavier songs matt would bring back using distorted vocals, i know he can't quite scream like he used to but distorted vocals would be fuckin epic

side note: i've always thought that videos has one of Chris' better vocal performances in his parts

The best Chris songs are the ones where Matt and Chris play off each other like Dead Star, (now) Hyper Music and The Small Print, they need more stuff like that.

However, I was lucky enough to see Save Me once and I thought it was pretty good.

it's performances like this and Stockholm from '04 that make me wish on some heavier songs matt would bring back using distorted vocals, i know he can't quite scream like he used to but distorted vocals would be fuckin epic

side note: i've always thought that videos has one of Chris' better vocal performances in his parts

He used distortion on Micro Cuts in Montreal and it was the best performance of Micro Cuts ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGnW4mpgyQM

I don't know some of the screams at Austin city limits especially during the freedom outro were incredible but whether this could be sustained throughout a whole tour for several songs is a different question all together!

The best Chris songs are the ones where Matt and Chris play off each other like Dead Star, (now) Hyper Music and The Small Print, they need more stuff like that.

He used distortion on Micro Cuts in Montreal and it was the best performance of Micro Cuts ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGnW4mpgyQM

This is very true, Chris is a better belter than out and out singer I suppose is all it comes down to.

And oh yeah I'd almost forgotten about that, although in all honesty the early Origin tour performances were much better but it's probably imo the best post 2004 performance i've seen of it.

I don't know some of the screams at Austin city limits especially during the freedom outro were incredible but whether this could be sustained throughout a whole tour for several songs is a different question all together!

The last "Freedom" at ACL was pretty good i agree, but it's not the same as it used to be, not quite the same power. Also, like you said, I don't know if he could be able to maintain it across a whole tour every show.

Archived