Or maybe they're revisiting that jazzy stuff that was supposedly written for the Black Holes triple album.

I'm always ambivalent on the idea of jazzy stuff. Though I would like the massive guitar freakouts Matt was talking about prior to The Resistance.

Looking back, my expectations of that album were basically Year Zero by NIN with guitar doing what all the electronics did.

One of the big differences between pre-album buzz this time around and the last three times is the lack of "sounds like" and genre talk. Previously they either hinted at or joked about experiments with tex-mex, electronic stuff, jazz, symphonies, dubstep and the list goes ooooooon. This time around they consistently and exclusively compare the stuff they're working on to their own previous songs and albums. I'm not saying anything new of course, but I'm pleasantly surprised that the story hasn't really changed since they first started mentioning this album.

I really hope that's an indication of renewed inspiration coming from their gut rather than from outside sources and not a sign of a complete lack of inspiration, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

They've gone from "sequel to Citizen Erased", "stripped back sound" and "guitar, bass and drums" to this talk of Abso/BHAR.

I'm not complaining either way, but with the above descriptions it sounds like they've gone into the studio with the intent of making a pretty heavy 3-piece rock band album and its turned into something more Abso/BHAR, both of which did have elements of "stripped-back"-ness but were certainly not as much as Origin.

I wouldn't call those "heavy".

Depends really on your standard for 'heavy'. Relatively speaking, even in the context of Muse, none of the guitar parts on BH&R are particularly heavy for my money compared against say Dead Star or Micro Cuts, let alone against, objectively speaking, much 'heavier' bands.

They've gone from "sequel to Citizen Erased", "stripped back sound" and "guitar, bass and drums" to this talk of Abso/BHAR.

I'm not complaining either way, but with the above descriptions it sounds like they've gone into the studio with the intent of making a pretty heavy 3-piece rock band album and its turned into something more Abso/BHAR, both of which did have elements of "stripped-back"-ness but were certainly not as much as Origin.

Well the major difference between OoS and Abso is the use of strings, which probably hasn't been used on the new album yet.

My interpretation: An album about war and politics, much like Abso and BH&R, with heavy riffs and some more prog-like structures (Abso for heavy, BH&R for prog-influences).

Archived