Is Matt lazy live with his vocals?

Nipso

I agree with Sippe, I really enjoy the TOTP performance. It sounds so raw in every way. But generally, there aren't many 'standout' performances of MM as I've found atleast. Earl's Court, Glastonbury etc are quite good aswell.

Does he wimp out on his vocals in it?

well, if you can't sing it, why record it? studio is a magical place, but i think they shouldn't record stuff that cannot be played live like it's supposed to.

it's as if he recorded some crazy ass guitar that took 248 takes to get right, and it sounds wicked, but live he just messes around or plays some simplified (and therefore boring) version.

that wouldn't be good for the best-live-act reputation now would it?

I think this is a stupid opinion. The album version is by far the most heard, so why wouldn't they want to make it sound as good as possible? Why wouldn't anybody?

I think this is a stupid opinion. The album version is by far the most heard, so why wouldn't they want to make it sound as good as possible? Why wouldn't anybody?

Its hardly a stupid opinion. You might disagree with it but Matt and Dom are often asked if they have to hold certain things back in studio because they have such a reputation as a live band and they wouldn't be able to reproduce certain things live.

Its hardly a stupid opinion. You might disagree with it but Matt and Dom are often asked if they have to hold certain things back in studio because they have such a reputation as a live band and they wouldn't be able to reproduce certain things live.

Then people are asking stupid questions. Muse don't have to hold back, they can do whatever and be the bestest always.

Then people are asking stupid questions. Muse don't have to hold back, they can do whatever and be the bestest always.

I expect nothing less from a 5 year old :noey:

I'm fine with the band going free and not holding back, but I think maybe they should focus on going at some styles instead of fitting a bunch of things into one album.

+ She is Canadian so it's even worse ... :noey:

You're a French Canadian, that's even worser.

I'm fine with the band going free and not holding back, but I think maybe they should focus on going at some styles instead of fitting a bunch of things into one album.

By "style," do you mean consistency? Personally I found an inconsistent style to be one of my favourite parts about them.

By "style," do you mean consistency? Personally I found an inconsistent style to be one of my favourite parts about them.

I guess you could say direction. Still not the best word. Just avoiding the over the top that happens when you throw every little idea but without a sense of why.

I thought it had been confirmed that Matt had vocal training just before BH&R? Can't remember where I read this because it was quite a long time ago now.

But no, I don't think effects are the answer. For Radiohead it makes sense because (especially on Lotus Flower IIRC) they are quite an electronic band and use loopers in lots of places. Plus it would feel like he was, not to sound petty but, cheating in a way. It's like using an effect on his voice to raise it an octave so he can reach the last note on Showbiz.

Muse "cheat" in a lot of other ways when performing live. Radiohead are actually more of a "live" band despite being more electronic.

No idea what this thread is about. A musician will hear their own songs far too many times to give a shit about perfection, performing live is not about perfection. Studio production is about perfection and creating the "ultimate" version of the song and being to do things that aren't possible on stage, the two should never be compared. Matt, like many other musicians, plays an instrument while singing and will do up to like 20 in a row during a gig in what is generally a hot environment in front of thousands of people.

Matt, like many other musicians, plays an instrument while singing and will do up to like 20 in a row during a gig in what is generally a hot environment in front of thousands of people.

20 what?

Oh and the thread has nothing to do with perfection.

Studio production is about perfection and creating the "ultimate" version of the song and being to do things that aren't possible on stage, the two should never be compared.

So, for example, the original 2001 recording of Plug in Baby is the ultimate version of that song? Even now that they have Morgan as an additional live member and they are 10 years older (=with more experience)?

Archived