Is Matt lazy live with his vocals?

Nipso

So, for example, the original 2001 recording of Plug in Baby is the ultimate version of that song? Even now that they have Morgan as an additional live member and they are 10 years older (=with more experience)?

That wasn't his point at all. He's not saying that the studio version is always better. He's saying that the goal of a studio recording is to get the ultimate version, which isn't the case with a live performance of a song that you have performed for 10+ years.

That wasn't his point at all. He's not saying that the studio version is always better. He's saying that the goal of a studio recording is to get the ultimate version, which isn't the case with a live performance of a song that you have performed for 10+ years.

I didn't say "better" either :p

Maybe the goal is to get the ultimate version at that moment, but this doesn't still mean that studio and live versions shouldn't be compared.

I didn't say "better" either :p

Maybe the goal is to get the ultimate version at that moment, but this doesn't still mean that studio and live versions shouldn't be compared.

...does it really have to be clarified that he meant at that moment? Unless Muse can time travel, it's kinda obvious, isn't it?

Compared in what sense? I haven't checked in detail but I don't think anyone's said they shouldn't be compared at all.

Humphrey Goldenbollocks said

Studio production is about perfection and creating the "ultimate" version of the song and being to do things that aren't possible on stage, the two should never be compared.

Humphrey Goldenbollocks said

Alright, alright. I think what he meant was that in producing the song you shouldn't focus solely on being able to play it live. Even though Muse does look at that sometimes a studio version will always have layers and effects that just can't be remade in live versions (even with Morgan).

I guess never be compared entirely or something :erm:

Maybe, yes. But still, I can't understand why that would mean that live and studio versions shouldn't be compared

Because they are competing under so very different conditions. It's not fair to judge an overall performance by how well it stands up against a studio production, which makes it so much better when someone actually manages to live up to that studio recording.

Fact is, Matt CAN live up to the studio vocals most of the time, and there is no studio magic or 100 takes behind his high note in for example Resistance, which is why I disagree with Haze.

I wonder how many takes it did to nail the SFA ending and how it actually did sound. I've always felt that those notes sounds a bit flat but the same time effortlessly in the studio version and I don't believe he could reproduce it live like that.

Edit: Doesn't really sound like Matt's normal chest-voice either. More like a mixed-voice, which I don't recall I've heard him use live.

I wonder how many takes it did to nail the SFA ending and how it actually did sound. I've always felt that those notes sounds a bit flat but the same time effortlessly in the studio version and I don't believe he could reproduce it live like that.

Of course he can.

Because they are competing under so very different conditions. It's not fair to judge an overall performance by how well it stands up against a studio production, which makes it so much better when someone actually manages to live up to that studio recording.

Fact is, Matt CAN live up to the studio vocals most of the time, and there is no studio magic or 100 takes behind his high note in for example Resistance, which is why I disagree with Haze.

I was never saying he couldn't live up to it.

Studio "magic" isn't just auto-tune and there's plenty more to being a great singer than just hitting notes.

I was never saying he couldn't live up to it.

Studio "magic" isn't just auto-tune and there's plenty more to being a great singer than just hitting notes.

Well what was the point then since that's what this thread is about?

And I know that, still not sure how it relates to the subject.

Well what was the point then since that's what this thread is about?

And I know that, still not sure how it relates to the subject.

Because I'm wondering why it matters? The guy isn't a parrot and going out and being perfect every time would just end up with Muse's live show being seen as cold and lacking in emotion (Although there are people who already see it like that). Also live versions of songs wouldn't evolve if the band had to play it perfectly every single time.

Because I'm wondering why it matters? The guy isn't a parrot and going out and being perfect every time would just end up with Muse's live show being seen as cold and lacking in emotion (Although there are people who already see it like that). Also live versions of songs wouldn't evolve if the band had to play it perfectly every single time.

This has nothing to do with hitting high notes in chest or falsetto though. I don't think anyone here expects a perfect performance or them trying to do it as much as possible as the studio version.

This has nothing to do with hitting high notes in chest or falsetto though. I don't think anyone here expects a perfect performance or them trying to do it as much as possible as the studio version.

I think you might want to read the openly post again.

I actually think Matt has trying for perfection in performances more in recent.

As far as I see it, this is why he does it in falsetto.

He's afraid of cracking or sounding bad, so he doesn't even try. OR he's just lazy.

Archived