Is Matt lazy live with his vocals?

Nipso

Matt wants to save his voice by not straining too much. If you saw what his voice was like during Take a Bow on Brisbane night 2, you'll understand why. (although he did do the awesome Resistanceeee vocal earlier in the show)

And Muse were the best on the Black Holes tour easily, had a great stage with just the right amount of visual elements, Matt's voice was on fire and they just sounded and looked like they were enjoying it heaps.

I haven't read the last couple pages because I'm impatient and I want to sleep, so I'm guessing that the conversation has died down and that everyone has come to a somewhat general conclusion, but I'm still gonna write this.

Give the guy a break, we all know Matt doesn't have the best vocal technique. Plus his voice has matured considerably and become much less head resonant starting after bhar.

So what if he doesn't want to sing the high notes because they're harder for him now. I want to hear him sing hyper music again, "i wish i could", the ending of SFA, showbiz, cave. But hey, if he doesn't want to cuz it tires him out, too bad for us. Just because something is in your range, and at the top of it at that, doesn't mean that you have the capacity to belt it out whenever you want to during a 1-2 hour concert. I think some of you guys should try singing like Matt, and realize that just because your voice sounds good and loud, doesn't mean that it's relatively easy (and by "relatively easy," I mean hard, but you can still do it when you want to) to do so.

Some days he'll sing better than others. Some days he'll be more in the crazy, break everything mood he was in when he younger.

About the plug in baby thing, yeah, of course he's bound to get bored of a song (or just playing live altogether) after playing it for 9 years almost every other day. We're fans that watch/listen to what Muse want to do, not what we want them to do. Complaining is fine, you have opinions and I don't have a problem with that, if you don't like the band anymore, well then that's too bad, nothing you can really do about that. But I feel like some of you or asking a bit too much from a 5'7" englishman.

I don't understand why Matt's voice has changed so much in the last 4 years though. It just sounds like he's not letting the sound resonate in his head so much anymore and it sounds so overly chesty and heavy now. Probably just a result of becoming a pasta obsessed fatty. Just kidding.

I do agree though, I want to see less theatrics, poofy clothing, dramatic towers and I want to see more raw performing. It's all a bit too distracting really.

I haven't read the last couple pages because I'm impatient and I want to sleep, so I'm guessing that the conversation has died down and that everyone has come to a somewhat general conclusion, but I'm still gonna write this.

Give the guy a break, we all know Matt doesn't have the best vocal technique. Plus his voice has matured considerably and become much less head resonant starting after bhar.

So what if he doesn't want to sing the high notes because they're harder for him now. I want to hear him sing hyper music again, "i wish i could", the ending of SFA, showbiz, cave. But hey, if he doesn't want to cuz it tires him out, too bad for us. Just because something is in your range, and at the top of it at that, doesn't mean that you have the capacity to belt it out whenever you want to during a 1-2 hour concert. I think some of you guys should try singing like Matt, and realize that just because your voice sounds good and loud, doesn't mean that it's relatively easy (and by "relatively easy," I mean hard, but you can still do it when you want to) to do so.

Some days he'll sing better than others. Some days he'll be more in the crazy, break everything mood he was in when he younger.

About the plug in baby thing, yeah, of course he's bound to get bored of a song (or just playing live altogether) after playing it for 9 years almost every other day. We're fans that watch/listen to what Muse want to do, not what we want them to do. Complaining is fine, you have opinions and I don't have a problem with that, if you don't like the band anymore, well then that's too bad, nothing you can really do about that. But I feel like some of you or asking a bit too much from a 5'7" englishman.

I don't understand why Matt's voice has changed so much in the last 4 years though. It just sounds like he's not letting the sound resonate in his head so much anymore and it sounds so overly chesty and heavy now. Probably just a result of becoming a pasta obsessed fatty. Just kidding.

I do agree though, I want to see less theatrics, poofy clothing, dramatic towers and I want to see more raw performing. It's all a bit too distracting really.

You're saying he doesn't have the best vocal technique, that is somewhat true but what is also true is that his technique has improved by a ten-fold the last couple of years. If he could do it back then with his piss-poor technique, his chances of doing it now has increased alot. His voice has matured, and it probably takes more effort doing it, but it's the lack of effort we're complaining about.

You're also mentioning his voice becoming less head resonant, and also mention ending of SFA, SS scream and Cave which are all chest notes. I don't see the point.

You're saying you didn't bother reading the last pages, maybe you should have so we didn't need to explain this once more. He belts out B4's after songs but doesn't sing the G4 in Resistance during the same gig. And this proves he hasn't lost any bit of range since his younger days, rather the opposite.

Matt wants to save his voice by not straining too much. If you saw what his voice was like during Take a Bow on Brisbane night 2, you'll understand why. (although he did do the awesome Resistanceeee vocal earlier in the show)

And Muse were the best on the Black Holes tour easily, had a great stage with just the right amount of visual elements, Matt's voice was on fire and they just sounded and looked like they were enjoying it heaps.

lol arguing without reading what you're arguing against.

But fine, I'll repeat myself AGAIN.

If he wants to save his voice, why belt out even harder notes AFTER the songs than the ones he avoids in songs?

Matt's technique has become a lot better. Sure his voice has lowered a bit, but he has also learned how to reach those high notes with much more ease. People talk about how he struggles so much for the high falsetto notes nowadays, but have people actually looked at the Showbiz-era performances in a while? It's almost painful to watch Matt going for those high notes.

And what exactly do you mean by head resonant? I agree that the time he does it is a minority(Even though he still does it a lot), but that doesn't mean that he can't do it. It's not like he struggles to reach notes above E4.

And if you mean head in the sense of head voice, then Matt never uses that except for his falsetto notes anyway. And he didn't back in the early days either.

So what if he doesn't want to sing the high notes because they're harder for him now. I want to hear him sing hyper music again, "i wish i could", the ending of SFA, showbiz, cave. But hey, if he doesn't want to cuz it tires him out, too bad for us. Just because something is in your range, and at the top of it at that, doesn't mean that you have the capacity to belt it out whenever you want to during a 1-2 hour concert.

No one is expecting him to sing these songs, which you would have known if you just read the earlier pots in this not very long thread :)

I think some of you guys should try singing like Matt, and realize that just because your voice sounds good and loud, doesn't mean that it's relatively easy (and by "relatively easy," I mean hard, but you can still do it when you want to) to do so.

I do try to sing as Matt quite a lot actually :) And no one has said that it's easy for him. Matt definitely has to put in an effort for notes F#4 and above, but that doesn't mean he has a reason to stop doing them. Just because they're not easy doesn't mean that they're hurting his voice. Matt did a LOT more hurtful and straining stuff constantly in the early days, and it never had any real big impact on his voice.

Try "Probably just a result of being lazy". A big reason to why his voice keeps very low is because he uses a very hard technique for high notes live. But considering that he uses the right one in studio, it just makes no sense tbh.

If he wants to save his voice, why belt out even harder notes AFTER the songs than the ones he avoids in songs?

Probably because they were trying out new things on that show because it was the start of the Aussie tour and the only Aussie arena show where they didn't sell any of the seats behind the band. For instance, they wheeled out the piano and then left it at the back of the stage so they could use it again for Citizen when it opened the encore.

Therefore, they were trying to see if Matt's voice would hold up for the whole show and if they did try closing with Take a Bow. It didn't, so they dropped the song for the rest of the tour and went back to closing with Knights.

Probably because they were trying out new things on that show because it was the start of the Aussie tour and the only Aussie arena show where the didn't sell any of the seats behind the band. For instance, they wheeled out the piano and then left it at the back of the stage so they could use it again for Citizen when it opened the encore.

Therefore, the were trying to see if Matt's voice would hold up for the whole show and if they do try closing with Take a Bow. It didn't, so they dropped the song for the rest of the tour and went back to closing with Knights.

I'm not talking about a specific gig or set of gigs here. I'm talking about the whole tour.

And Take A Bow is probably one of the hardest songs they have when it comes to vocals, so I don't blame him. He had trouble with that one back in the BH&R tour.

And also, they DID use TaB again after that. Although that probably counts as a new tour or something, I dunno.

Well we all know The Resistance tour song choice was pretty messy anyway, so of course they made song choices that weren't really logical.

I disagree, I saw them on the BH&R tour and Matt's vocals on TaB were flawless when I heard it, and on all the shows I've seen on youtube for that tour.

Yeah they did use TaB on the Russian tour, but that was after they'd had a decent break. and Matt's voice was good for the first couple of shows, but TaB was pretty bad by the end of that tour to be honest.

Sippe has it occured to you that the reason he might not be hitting those notes is that he's conserving his voice so he can belt out the notes that you keep going on about?

Why the hell would he avoid notes in songs just so that he can hit a B4 while screaming "THANK YOU LOS ANGELEEEES"? :LOL:

Well we all know The Resistance tour song choice was pretty messy anyway, so of course they made song choices that weren't really logical.

I disagree, I saw them on the BH&R tour and Matt's vocals on TaB were flawless when I heard it, and on all the shows I've seen on youtube for that tour.

Yeah they did use TaB on the Russian tour, but that was after they'd had a decent break. and Matt's voice was good for the first couple of shows, but TaB was pretty bad by the end of that tour to be honest.

He actually screwed up TaB on the HAARP dvd. :p

EDIT: Well okay, not really screwed up, but I think he cracked at least once and it sounded very strained.

He actually screwed up TaB on the HAARP dvd. :p

EDIT: Well okay, not really screwed up, but I think he cracked at least once and it sounded very strained.

That was expected though, they weren't exactly used to playing 22 song setlists on that tour. Probably one of the reasons they cut down the setlist this tour.

That was expected though, they weren't exactly used to playing 22 song setlists on that tour. Probably one of the reasons they cut down the setlist this tour.

That it's to be expected doesn't mean that it didn't happen. He DID have problems with it, deal with it yo ;)

And also, I remember him having problems with it when it was used as an opener too.

That it's to be expected doesn't mean that it didn't happen. He DID have problems with it, deal with it yo ;)

And also, I remember him having problems with it when it was used as an opener too.

Yeah he did have a slight strain, but as I said, that was the longest set (apart from the random Tokyo show) they'd ever done and it was the 2nd night in a row. So you can't expect him to be perfect. The point is, Matt wouldn't dream of closing with TaB on a stadium show now because Matt knows his voice would sound like shit.

Opened with it in Brisbane in 2007 on the last date of the tour and he honestly sounded like he was doing it easily.

Yeah he did have a slight strain, but as I said, that was the longest set (apart from the random Tokyo show) they'd ever done and it was the 2nd night in a row. So you can't expect him to be perfect. The point is, Matt wouldn't dream of closing with TaB on a stadium show now because Matt knows his voice would sound like shit.

Opened with it in Brisbane in 2007 on the last date of the tour and he honestly sounded like he was doing it easily.

You seem to have missed the point though. I wasn't complaining because Matt couldn't do it perfectly. I was simply saying that it's one of their hardest songs, and that he had problems with it even back in 2006. Which is all true, and that it's hard to sing at the end of a gig is irrelevant :p

And I'm saying that he didn't have problems with it during the BH&R tour at all apart from some obvious outliers which were to be expected like Wembley, but during The Resistance Tour he obviously has had big problems. Isn't that the point of the whole thread? To discuss whether he is lazy with his vocals?

I say he isn't, his voice just isn't what it used to be and he's got to preserve it a bit by not going for certain notes that you obviously believe he can do without hurting his voice. Sure he could go for it a bit when he was younger, but as you get older your vocals chords aren't as flexible as they used to be and Matt has obviously realised this.

And I'm saying that he didn't have problems with it during the BH&R tour at all apart from some obvious outliers which were to be expected like Wembley, but during The Resistance Tour he obviously has had big problems. Isn't that the point of the whole thread? To discuss whether he is lazy with his vocals?

I say he isn't, his voice just isn't what it used to be and he's got to preserve it a bit by not going for certain notes that you obviously believe he can do without hurting his voice. Sure he could go for it a bit when he was younger, but as you get older your vocals chords aren't as flexible as they used to be and Matt has obviously realised this.

He had huge problems with it at Rock In Rio. And other gigs too that I've heard. And it has always been a very hard song. No matter if he fucked up or not, he has always had problems with it since it's incredibly hard to sing.

And once again you have missed what I've said before, I even quoted you when I said it once.

If he avoids notes to preserve his voice, why hit even harder notes after the songs?

I'm sure I could find many performances where he had troubles with TaB before the TR-tour if I bothered looking. I can also find many performances during the TR-tour where he actually pulls it off quite decently. But I don't see how this is of importance to the actual discussion. Fact is that he hits B4 after songs just for the fun of it while he chicken out on a much easier G4.

Take A Bow only tops at a G4, which definitely isn't out of his range.

But this time the G4 is actually sung and sustained over lines, which makes it so much harder. It's just just "resistAAAAAAAnce". It's several words, vowels and syllabes that he has to switch between. Not only that, but the song also switches singing style(mode) faster than any other song probably.

At Reading and Wembley he gave it all in my view. He did sing quite a lot of it in a deeper voice, same as Chino Moreno did at Reading, but in both cases it worked fine.

Are you talking about TaB or the gigs in general?

EDIT: Oh wait, he didn't even do TaB at Reading. My bad.

At Reading and Wembley he gave it all in my view. He did sing quite a lot of it in a deeper voice, same as Chino Moreno did at Reading, but in both cases it worked fine.

Yeah, I'd even say I prefer Matt's deeper voice, it's a lot more powerful than how it was previously.

Explain?

A simple example is the use of correct vowels. It's a lot easier to hit higher notes with an "eh" sound than an "uh" sound, or even an "ah" sound.

Matt usually uses the correct vowels in studio, which makes him hit the high notes easier. But when he does it live, he doesn't, for some reason.

Archived