...but atleast from the whole front barrier, people were singing along with all of songs like Darkshines and Megalomania.

You can even hear them singing along to New Born, Bliss and PiB on the TV footage. The first two songs nearly blew me off of my sofa thanks to not just the visuals but the crowd participation also. In fact I had tears in my eyes at one point!

NME are getting worse. Glad I gave the rag up years ago.

Did Matt really say "I hope you don't mind putting up with us?" or something like that. I read it somewhere - can't find it in this article.

It was mentioned in the BBC Music write up of the Leeds show. He said something along the lines of "We're celebrating the 10th anniversary of Origin of Symmetry. Thanks for putting up with the whole thing."

:(

He makes a good point about the fact that playing this album to a festival crowd was an odd move. But...

I don't care. Cause NME are crap, and I never buy it.

Buy Rocksound people. It's about 99 trillion times better, even if it does hype the occasional shite for the front cover like Kerrang!. Inside it are super features, fair unbiased reviews and good coverage for underground bands. It is everything NME is NOT, albeit it's a little more orientated to heavier music.

I think it's a shame if the band were feeling a bit uncomfortable about it at Leeds, but at Reading, at least, I think they were blown away by the crowd by the end. Chris tweeted how happy he was with the reception and Matt looked happy as he went off the stage. Also it seemed that the crowd were well into to it and the majority of people who went from here both to Leeds and Reading appear to have thoroughly enjoyed the experience, so I would say that overall it has been a great success. I don't think this review matters one jot to the bigger picture.

There were a couple of problems, the rough crowd at the front that spoilt some of it for some of us and the lack of BBC3 coverage of the first half.

I think that it would be great if somehow there could be an official release of the first half in particular but actually I'd rather like the whole thing. I don't think they will release a DVD but maybe some footage on the internet like they did of the Seattle gig. And then I think everything would be just perfect! :happy: But we'll have to see. It would only be right if it's also something the band would like to do I think.

PS Still hoping for a DVD of The Resistance Tour as well.

Good morning / afternoon.

I don't usually post here, but reading the review in NME made me laugh and cry at the same time.

I believe NME might have forgotten some key details about the festival - most importantly, if it weren't for Muse, the festival tickets wouldn't have sold for shit. Muse were THE headliner who helped sell the tickets, and part of the reason was playing Origin in full. I stood by the sound tent / booth at Reading and masses and masses of fans were there for Muse and Origin specifically, and went nuts for it.

Secondly, from reading the rest of the NME, I feel like I perhaps attended a different festival - most other headliners (Friday, Saturday) at Reading were a disgrace. I tried to sit through MCR and had my ears violated by the poor sound, while Gerard's voice didn't carry half way through the crowd. Went into the NME tent on Saturday and waited for Jane's Addiction just to be told by an arrogant Dave Navarro to go home... Walked across the field hoping to see The Strokes, and they're 35 minutes late, call the crowd Leeds! then play for 50 minutes, the entire time looking like they wanted to strangle each other.

And then you have Muse, who - Origin or no Origin - played for 2 hours, and brought a production designed specifically for the festival. Whether you are a hardcore fan or not is besides the point. The reality was that Muse was light years ahead of most other headliners this magazine had the pleasure of reviewing.

nice one.

i dont see anything wrong with playing this 'special' set at reading? it was announced AGES ago. muse fans who wanted to see this and had the chance/money bought tickets. i dont know exactly what difference would it make to make it a proper muse gig instead of a festival one..?

reading at least was fucking filled with muse fans LOL! i was standing between the two barriers, it felt like i was miles away from the stage - and there were loads of songs that i couldnt hear matt singing because everyone around me was singing so loud!

You're forgetting Pulp, who amazed me more watching in my shit hotel in Slough than Muse the next night.

Have to say Pulp didn't do anything for me, Muse put on their best performance since the Abso tour imo, and everyone would agree if they got to see the whole set.

People who never compliment Muse or give them credit when it's due will disagree, but performance wise, they were head and shoulders above the rest

People who never compliment Muse or give them credit when it's due will disagree, but performance wise, they were head and shoulders above the rest

If I were there, I would probably agree.

But that's not hard, since I thought most of the band there were shit. :LOL:

Have to say Pulp didn't do anything for me, Muse put on their best performance since the Abso tour imo, and everyone would agree if they got to see the whole set.

This. I saw the beginning of Pulp but I was a bit bored, then I went to see Jane's Addiction (hah!)

Muse were head and shoulders above Pulp, performance-wise.

Muse weren't that great, I would have been incredibly disappointed with the gig if they hadn't played OoS :erm:

A banana is clearly better than a Honda Civic.

You can't eat a Honda Civic if you're peckish, and good luck driving a banana to work :phu:

To me Pulp are a far more "personal" band than Muse. Their performance was centred around Jarvis Cocker as an engaging personality, he's happy to chat away and talk crap between songs in a way that Muse wouldn't dream of. Muse are all about the spectacle which, while awe-inspiring, is pretty impersonal and you get no sense of personality from it. They were both terrific but in entirely different ways.

Aaaanyhoo, back on topic - the NME are always like this and it should come as no surprise, like the psycho ex-girlfriend that you just want more from etc etc :rolleyes:

To be honest I agree with this review.

I don't think any of that should surprise anyone. We all know the the vast number of Muse fans are described by the following details.

• Really started liking Muse because of Absolution and Black Holes.
  • Probably only listened to those albums and The Resistance thoroughly.
  • Probably love PiB, New Born and Feeling Good.
  • Probably have given OoS a few listens but are nowhere near familiar.

As for festival goers, many of them:

• Are only familiar with Muse singles and the last few albums
  • Aren't that familiar but came along because they know Muse are awesome
  • Were expecting to here at least something familiar in the first 50 minutes.

Given that, I entirely agree that the festival were a weird choice to play the album. It should have been a smaller venue, advertised primarily to the fan base, maybe in a few locations in the UK, or just one big venue like Wembley. It probably happened because Muse signed on for the festivals and then latterly decided they really wanted to play the album live however, so how it came about isn't exactly absurd.

And the reviewer does give due credit. He acknowledges that it was good to hear these rare songs live and they were indeed interesting, and he certainly acknowledges Muse's talent. But he's right: festival crowds are general fans and people who might not be that familiar, and the choice to gear and album adored by Muse fans, not everyone, at a general crowd was probably a disservice to the festival crowd and to the general fans who had to pay over the odds to attend a festival to see their favourite album played live, not to mention the BBC debacle that followed.

Pretty much this..... btw extra points for the use of bulleted lists ;)

One thing, though - they would have heard at least 2 familiar things in the first 50mins, everyone should know at least PiB and FG....

EDIT: oh, one other thing - I first heard muse when Hysteria was on the radio, so like '04, and the first album I bought was BH&R, yet I know the earlier albums :)

Archived