Ermm... so, after reading this, I'm a bit torn.

In one respect, I agree with the reviewer guy in that obviously choosing a mainstream festival to play a cultish ten-year-old album that only 'the faithful' will really appreciate is a) a bit risky and b) just not the right setting for it. Most people (at Leeds especially, I found - which is where he was reviewing from anyways) didn't seem to know or care about the Origin songs. The people around us were pretty shite in the first half tbh, lol. But then again, I don't blame them for not knowing very old and relatively unknown songs - unless you're a pwoper Muser.

Hooowever, I feel as if he was basing the success of their entire set on the reception from the crowd alone. That, for me, is no the mark of a good gig. Yes, of course you have to gauge the crowd's reaction to determine if people are enjoying it or not, but he disregarded the way Muse actually performed the older tracks just because a lot of people weren't very responsive to them. He rates the second half as the bit that saved the whole set... but only cos it got the crowd going again. Of course it did - it was non-stop hits!

For those of us who DO know the OoS songs (and have waited a fecking long time to hear them played live), it wasn't about how many people knew the songs, but the performances themselves that made the gigs a success (imo). Personally, I thought they hit every note brilliantly throughout OoS - even the 'usual suspects' for moaning on the boards were praising the performances of Screenager, Darkshines, Hyper Music etc - because they were fantastic performances, even if the masses at the festivals weren't really into it.

The other thing I didn't really appreciate about this review is that it seems to clash with the epic OoS bum-licking from the NME in the issue before it :LOL:. They devoted a cover and about five or six pages inside to Muse's upcoming headline set AND the making of Origin itself, along with the 2001 tour. Then, after seeing them perform, they were sort of 'meh' about it all. I dunno, something about this (like most things the NME does, tbh) just grates. Nvm.

I couldn't give a crap, frankly :LOL:. Although NME's hypocrisy does irk me.

As far as I'm concerned, the first half of Reading was probably the coolest thing I have ever seen Muse do live, beating the Dead Star/Micro Cuts encore at Earls Court, Showbiz at Eden, Megalomania at the Royal Albert Hall and Cave at Teignmouth.

It just worked as far as I'm concerned. I agree with what a lot of people are saying and that two standalone gigs would have been better (they should hire out Earls Court again and do two nights there of OoS at Xmas :D) but it didn't really change much for me.

Screenager, Darkshines and Megalomania were excellent.

I thought the vast number of Muse fans at Reading and Leeds was hardcore? Playing OoS must have been a good reason to go to the festivals. But then again, if they had performed it in another venue big enough to get a fair chance to attend it. Not like the RAH. I would have take a few days of and travelled to the UK for it :)

I couldn't give a crap, frankly :LOL:. Although NME's hypocrisy does irk me.

As far as I'm concerned, the first half of Reading was probably the coolest thing I have ever seen Muse do live, beating the Dead Star/Micro Cuts encore at Earls Court, Showbiz at Eden, Megalomania at the Royal Albert Hall and Cave at Teignmouth.

It just worked as far as I'm concerned. I agree with what a lot of people are saying and that two standalone gigs would have been better (they should hire out Earls Court again and do two nights there of OoS at Xmas :D) but it didn't really change much for me.

Screenager, Darkshines and Megalomania were excellent.

:yesey: Dead on. R&L weren't my best Muse live experiences as a whole, but seeing OoS in full beats everything else. I'm still in disbelief that I've seen every song on my favourite album in order TWICE! :D. The performances were just outstanding - the three rare songs (plus the likes of Micro Cuts, Megalomania, Space Dementia etc) - all worked perfectly and with stunning visuals to top it off. The masses may not have appreciated it, but there were plenty of us that did. I'll remember these gigs for the rest of my life :happy:.

Whole magazine annoyed me. I saw a lot of the "Top 20 sets you had to see" and most of them really weren't that great. I mean, they had The Vaccines at number 1, and personally, I can think of many bands I enjoyed seeing more than them, even Madness or Seasick Steve, and they're both above 50 years of age. It says a lot when people of that age put on a better show than those in their 20's. I think NME are much to busy trying to call 'The Next Big Thing' to actually care about the music itself. It's all hype. I would agree that the hits did work as a good safety net for those who didn't enjoy Origin though, even if those people weren't in the majority, as the article would make out.

Whole magazine annoyed me. I saw a lot of the "Top 20 sets you had to see" and most of them really weren't that great. I mean, they had The Vaccines at number 1, and personally, I can think of many bands I enjoyed seeing more than them, even Madness or Seasick Steve, and they're both above 50 years of ago. It says a lot when people of that age put on a better show than those in their 20's. I think NME are much to busy trying to call 'The Next Big Thing' to actually care about the music itself. It's all hype. I would agree that the hits did work as a good safety net for those who didn't enjoy Origin though, even if those people weren't in the majority, as the article would make out.

was that NME''s list? haha. The Vaccines are absolutely atrociously bad.

The thing about fans only coming after BH&R so not knowing Origin is ridiculous. I was one of them (don't judge me, I was 7 when Origin came out) and I did this really crazy thing when I realised how awesome Muse were: bought more of their music.

Either way, a band doing 6/7 album tracks at a festival that they're headlining is hardly unknown of. NME are, as usual, just looking for a way to prove themselves wrong.

The thing about fans only coming after BH&R so not knowing Origin is ridiculous. I was one of them (don't judge me, I was 7 when Origin came out) and I did this really crazy thing when I realised how awesome Muse were: bought more of their music.

Either way, a band doing 6/7 album tracks at a festival that they're headlining is hardly unknown of. NME are, as usual, just looking for a way to prove themselves wrong.

Yeah, exactly the same here. Seems like such a stupid argument to make imho. It's not like it wasn't well publicised that they were playing all of Origin too, I mean, if you knew you were going to see Muse, it wouldn't be that hard to go and listen to it once or twice.

was that NME''s list? haha. The Vaccines are absolutely atrociously bad.

Yeah, exactly. Glad I'm not the only one of that opinion. They're just really not very good. At all.

Each to their own, but I think they're absolutely bland, banal, post-Strokes, think they're post-modern, 'tongue in-cheek', unadventurous guitar plod that goes fecking nowhere. :LOL:

They'll be forgotten in about a year along with all the other NME-hyped bland, banal, post-Strokes, think they're post-modern, 'tongue in-cheek', unadventurous guitar plod that goes fecking nowhere.

Soz for the rant, but there are more talented bands in my town, and that's saying something!

Each to their own, but I think they're absolutely bland, banal, post-Strokes, think they're post-modern, 'tongue in-cheek', unadventurous guitar plod that goes fecking nowhere. :LOL:

They'll be forgotten in about a year along with all the other NME-hyped bland, banal, post-Strokes, think they're post-modern, 'tongue in-cheek', unadventurous guitar plod that goes fecking nowhere.

Soz for the rant, but there are more talented bands in my town, and that's saying something!

Sounds like you have more of a problem with the hype than the actual music.

Sounds like you have more of a problem with the hype than the actual music.

did you not see the part where he said "they're absolutely bland, banal, post-Strokes, think they're post-modern, 'tongue in-cheek', unadventurous guitar plod that goes fecking nowhere"?

I wish The Strokes would go away, they're really dull.

did you not see the part where he said "they're absolutely bland, banal, post-Strokes, think they're post-modern, 'tongue in-cheek', unadventurous guitar plod that goes fecking nowhere"?

Yeah, that's my problem with them. At least they have fun though, unlike The Strokes. They really dissapointed me live. They all just stood around, no real energy. Julian's vocals weren't great either.

Well, no, but I think the hype thing is prejudicing his opinion of the music. Where the comparisons with The Strokes come in I don't know. I don't like The Strokes at all but I love The Vaccines. Some people are so hipster they can't bring themselves to like anything that's hyped, even if the hype is justified.

The Vaccines are fucking shite. I don't get The Strokes either - revolutionary? Hardly. Revolutionary these days seems to mean 'doing what bands like The Kinks and The Jam did the best part of forty years ago and calling it revolutionary'.

/end.

/on-topic.

Muse were 'ossum :awesome:.

Archived