Muse/Pink Floyd

Kawlie

what do you exactly mean with "this generations pink floyd"? do you mean in the way they change the music like PF did? if yes then you are definitely wrong ;)

muse isn't progressive or innovative enough to be "this generations pink floyd". look at bands like porcupine tree or radiohead (not really progressive rock but they try out new things with their music)

muse isn't the best band alive, there are far more bands who are at the same level and even better. :)

Not really. Music-wise, they're more pop than prog. Legacy-wise, doubtful. Maybe in a few years? They're still far from a household name like Pink Floyd. Personally I love them a lot more than Pink Floyd, but that's just because of what their music means to me. I don't necessarily think they're better than Floyd.

I'd be closer to calling them this generations Queen. In style of some of their songs and just their presentation. I'm sure just about everyone will disagree with me but there's my two cents. Love both Pink Floyd and Queen though. But I agree Muse is slightly prog but not even close to Pink Floyd in terms of weird. Pink Floyd did WAY more Acid and mushrooms. But Muse are flamboyant like Queen.

Pink floyd are on an other level to muse.

I would definitely say so too. I absolutely love Muse, but PF is just in a league of their own.The music seemed so ahead of time and the complexity of their songs (both musically and lyrically) still amazes me. Besides, PF was brillant as a live band (as both David Gilmour and Roger Waters still are) and Muse just doesn't seem quite there yet.

There is no doubt that I sometimes see similarities between PF and Muse (just take a look at the instrumental version of Falling Down and compare it to Eclipse). Both bands have/had a certain desire to experiment with their sound, to incorporate elements from classic music and to put on great stage shows. Also, you could probably say that PF, in time, got a bit more "mainstream" and got a less experimental sound to them, just like Muse has become more mainstream. Well, at least in a lot of countries. I would still say that they're pretty overlooked in DK, but anyway... that's my two pennies worth :)

There are certainly some similarities, like they are both innovative in the studio, and Matt said in a recent interview that the next album will be more Pink Floyd, so that's certainly something to look forward too if it happens.

I prefer Muse to Pink Floyd, Muse are my favourite band, but that doesn't mean that they are better. But I think in a few years, they will be level :)

I would definitely say so too. I absolutely love Muse, but PF is just in a league of their own.The music seemed so ahead of time and the complexity of their songs (both musically and lyrically) still amazes me. Besides, PF was brillant as a live band (as both David Gilmour and Roger Waters still are) and Muse just doesn't seem quite there yet.

There is no doubt that I sometimes see similarities between PF and Muse (just take a look at the instrumental version of Falling Down and compare it to Eclipse). Both bands have/had a certain desire to experiment with their sound, to incorporate elements from classic music and to put on great stage shows. Also, you could probably say that PF, in time, got a bit more "mainstream" and got a less experimental sound to them, just like Muse has become more mainstream. Well, at least in a lot of countries. I would still say that they're pretty overlooked in DK, but anyway... that's my two pennies worth :)

Agree with most of this post, except the bolded part. PF and Muse make different kind of music and loving or hating it is a matter of personal taste, but when it comes to live shows, Muse are crowned kings of the last decade's live shows. I mean, their 2007 wembley show is voted for the best wembley act EVER (+gazillion official best live act rewards). I don't see what are they supposed to do to beat PF, build a wall on stage?

Muse shows are today nothing less than what Pink Floyd shows were back in their day. It's just that PF is a household name like Furygirl said and they have far more reputation than Muse (for now ;)) so everyone will put them before Muse in everything, including live shows.

Well, The Wall did sell out both times!

Agree with most of this post, except the bolded part. PF and Muse make different kind of music and loving or hating it is a matter of personal taste, but when it comes to live shows, Muse are crowned kings of the last decade's live shows. I mean, their 2007 wembley show is voted for the best wembley act EVER (+gazillion official best live act rewards). I don't see what are they supposed to do to beat PF, build a wall on stage?

Muse shows are today nothing less than what Pink Floyd shows were back in their day. It's just that PF is a household name like Furygirl said and they have far more reputation than Muse (for now ;)) so everyone will put them before Muse in everything, including live shows.

There is no doubt that Muse put on excellent shows and that they have the ability to make their songs even better when played live, and they are probably one of the best live acts around today. That said, what I meant wasn't just that PF is brillant live when it comes to stage design because Muse have pulled off some pretty cool stuff themselves. I was thinking more about the quality of the sound. Muse have great sound on stage (from what I've heard and seen online. Sadly, I haven't been to a gig yet, but luckily Reading is coming up soon :p), but I don't think they can beat PF when it comes to.. well, I guess the distinctness of the sound. Every little detail just seems so clear and perfected.

I know it might not be fair to compare their "sound" since PF and Muse are known for different kinds of music and Muse probably have songs that could be harder to "perfect" in the same way as PF have.

Anyway, I was practially raised with PF on the stereo so I'm biased :p

(By they way, PF didn't just put up a wall ;) They did an extraordinary show and Roger Waters has now taken that to a higher level with his recent The Wall Tour. What a bombardment of senses! I do believe though that Muse can come up with stage shows just as great. They sure as hell have the creativity! :))

I'd agree with saying they are the current generation's answer to Queen rather than Pink Floyd. There are similarities, but on the whole, Muse and Floyd have little in common. Muse are brilliant live, but Pink Floyd were/are on another level. As great as the towers and pyramid stages were, I hardly think in 30 years time they'll be revered in the same way, or move live music forward in the way that PF did with The Wall, and what Roger Waters is doing again.

Don't get me wrong, Muse could go on to be the kind of household name that Floyd were and have the sort of legacy and impact Floyd did, and they've recently said the next album will be influenced by them, but I can't see Muse doing a concept album or anything like that like PF did. I love Queen, so I'll happily say Muse are the modern equivalent, but certainly not the answer to Pink Floyd.

But who knows, Muse have life in them yet, they could go on to do the sort of things Floyd did.

Once Muse start making songs over 11 minutes and do multi-part suites, they might be on the level of Pink Floyd. I think the closest Muse has ever come is "Citizen Erased" bleeding right into "Micro Cuts", which makes them sort of become one piece, but that's debatable.

Floyd didn't really do rock like that though, maybe if Citizen Erased ran into Space Dementia, it would be sort of like Pink Floyd, but it's only really Exogenesis that has that could pass off as a PF style song. Endlessly reminds me of San Tropez, but apart from that, I can't think off too much they have in common as far as albums go.

bit surprised with some of the answers here.

i think some of you definitely underestimate the impact muse has had, at least in terms of live shows. they've been crowned as a supreme live act for years now, no matter if the stage is on a stadium, is set on towers or there's only a few screens behind the guys. it's not just the awards either - it's the constant sold out shows (and they do tour a lot) and the word of mouth. they are often cited by other artists as a reference when it comes to live gigs, too. and all this while not being a band that has had its success cemented on sales numbers or chart positions. yes, they are mainstream - but for the level of success they have with live performances, you'd think they would be far more 'popular'.

we may be used to their 'awesomeness' (lol) and a few may find it harder to be impressed with them because of that, but the truth is that if you step back to gain some perspective, in general muse really DO kick ass live and in other aspects and i dont think they're as far from other epic acts as much as you think.

the comparison with pink floyd (and with other older bands/artists in general) is difficult to make because how many of us have lived in the same era as some of those legends? sometimes we claim that a band is legendary or whatever because well, that's what we were taught, isnt it? it wasn't something we experienced and therefore we may not immediately recognise greatness when it's right in front of us. this phenomenon is certainly not new.

and therefore, who knows what the impact of the name 'muse' will be. it may very well be that in 20 years time a bunch of people will be comparing muse to another band and people will be saying 'no way, muse are on another level. they did this and that on stage and their albums never sounded the same, etc'.

and therefore, who knows what the impact of the name 'muse' will be. it may very well be that in 20 years time a bunch of people will be comparing muse to another band and people will be saying 'no way, muse are on another level. they did this and that on stage and their albums never sounded the same, etc'.

I'd definitely say that Muse have the potential to end up as one of 'the dinosaurs'. Hopefully, they still have a lot of active years left and who knows what those ambitious and creative brains will come up with.

Agreed! Ilike both bands very much even though I don't pay too much attention to what Pink Floyd did coz I wan't born when they were actually active butl I like their songs.Still I prefer Muse.Their my fav band and their music means much to me.However you never know.Maybe in 10-15 years they will be a legend.

In my opinion,though, compare an old band with a young one is way wrong.Pink Floyd are so popular and their music is vewy good and certainly in their years their own sound meant more to that generation's ppl than to ours.

Many people don't notice but the beginning and end of Resistance is VERY close to many of the instrumental parts in Citizen Erased. I've always considered Resistance as a sort of "part 2" to Citizen Erased.

So Resistance is like Citizen Erased shit, less talented younger brother?

stone-cold-laughing-o.gif

No, just no. They are this generation's Slade.

The drummer from Slade lives at the corner of my road :chuckle:

By no means Muse are this generation´s own Pink Floyd. But I have to say the only reason why I am able to listen to "Unintended" without having a sugar overdose is how it reminds me of PF´s "If", melody wise.

It's always fascinated me how huge Muse are and yet rarely do I run into somebody I've never met who has actually heard of them.

It´s the same here. A rather interesting phenomenon, if you ask me.

Floyd didn't really do rock like that though, maybe if Citizen Erased ran into Space Dementia, it would be sort of like Pink Floyd, but it's only really Exogenesis that has that could pass off as a PF style song.

"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (both parts = 26 minutes) and "Echoes" (22 minutes) say hi.

Not to mention the Animals album which has 3 rather long songs on it, bookended by a shorter song split into 2 parts.

Pink Floyd was very much a Prog rock band.

The closest Muse have ever come to Prog is Origin Of Symmetry, and it's still not Progressive enough.

Many people don't notice but the beginning and end of Resistance is VERY close to many of the instrumental parts in Citizen Erased. I've always considered Resistance as a sort of "part 2" to Citizen Erased.

I can't say I noticed many parts, but there is one little piece in CE outro that has the same progression on strings as resistance's intro/outro.

But that's just a very small bit. I hope you're not implying that if CE could maybe pass as a Pink Floyd song, that resistance could too?

@martinSM: CE actually does blend into microcuts. It's not like Death_Of_Me picked microcuts out of all songs. :) btw I agree that CE+MC sounds more proggy, but who would ever want to mess with the perfect intro and outro of CE? :happy:

Archived