Muse/Pink Floyd

Kawlie

bit surprised with some of the answers here.

i think some of you definitely underestimate the impact muse has had, at least in terms of live shows. they've been crowned as a supreme live act for years now, no matter if the stage is on a stadium, is set on towers or there's only a few screens behind the guys. it's not just the awards either - it's the constant sold out shows (and they do tour a lot) and the word of mouth. they are often cited by other artists as a reference when it comes to live gigs, too. and all this while not being a band that has had its success cemented on sales numbers or chart positions. yes, they are mainstream - but for the level of success they have with live performances, you'd think they would be far more 'popular'.

we may be used to their 'awesomeness' (lol) and a few may find it harder to be impressed with them because of that, but the truth is that if you step back to gain some perspective, in general muse really DO kick ass live and in other aspects and i dont think they're as far from other epic acts as much as you think.

the comparison with pink floyd (and with other older bands/artists in general) is difficult to make because how many of us have lived in the same era as some of those legends? sometimes we claim that a band is legendary or whatever because well, that's what we were taught, isnt it? it wasn't something we experienced and therefore we may not immediately recognise greatness when it's right in front of us. this phenomenon is certainly not new.

and therefore, who knows what the impact of the name 'muse' will be. it may very well be that in 20 years time a bunch of people will be comparing muse to another band and people will be saying 'no way, muse are on another level. they did this and that on stage and their albums never sounded the same, etc'.

Agree completely especially about the live shows part. People's been so focusing on criticizing every single thing Muse does these days that all these complains have just lost their sense, but I don't want to go there, really, I'm bringing this back because I actually asked once if Pink Floyd's Wall Show would have had the same impact now that it had back in the day, considering all the sources we have nowadays and how we can spoil ourselves to death and still be asking for something new every single day. I wonder if people would be like "the wall is cool and all but it has lost it's appeal" "I liked the wall thing at first but after the x billion gig I've been, I don't think is that interesting anymore" "I would prefer to see the band playing without all this theatrical shit going on" "I don't like the wall because is restricting their set" "They are on autopilot" bla bla bla

I'm saying this because I'm not sure if it is fair to compare the two bands because both have lived on pretty different music periods. We are living on a society were music is consumed and thrown, on a society were people don't have the patient to actually concentrate on the music they are listening to and are fascinated by people like Lady Gaga... so I'm more than happy with what Muse is doing, I started listening to them because, although they are doing nothing exactly new, they still sounded different to anything else, and they are still sounding different. They have that something that a big Pink Floyd fan like my dad can find really interesting. Are they the next Pink Floyd? doubt it, but to be fair, I don't think it would be easy to be Pink Floyd on this generation, anyway.

Muse have said this themselves: "We are the biggest band no one's ever heard of." It's always fascinated me how huge Muse are and yet rarely do I run into somebody I've never met who has actually heard of them.

I've met two Pink Floyd fans in the last week, neither of whom have ever heard of Muse! :LOL:

Muse have said this themselves: "We are the biggest band no one's ever heard of." It's always fascinated me how huge Muse are and yet rarely do I run into somebody I've never met who has actually heard of them.

This! To me it seems they're kind of the "underdog". They are well-known, but I'm not sure if I would call them popular.

Then again I guess it depends on where you live - I could imagine that they are being played a lot in the UK.

It depends who you're talking to. Most people I know who don't know Muse can reckognise a song if they hear it, they just don't know what it is. 9 times out of 10 if someone says they don't know who Muse are you can put on one of the singles and they'll recognise it pretty quickly.

It depends who you're talking to. Most people I know who don't know Muse can reckognise a song if they hear it, they just don't know what it is. 9 times out of 10 if someone says they don't know who Muse are you can put on one of the singles and they'll recognise it pretty quickly.

This is true but there also relatively obscure bands that have their songs played in movies or commercials that you would recognize if you heard it but that doesn't really mean the band is popular. Like the song "Diamonds and Guns" by The Transplants. L'Oreal sampled the first part of that song for their shampoo commercials but the band itself is pretty obscure.

This! To me it seems they're kind of the "underdog". They are well-known, but I'm not sure if I would call them popular.

Then again I guess it depends on where you live - I could imagine that they are being played a lot in the UK.

Its a case of if you ask someone if they like Muse they say "Who?". But if you play them one of their singles (starlight is the best example in this case) and ask them do they know this band They'll say "Oh yeah, they're good".

They know the music but not the band.

Are Muse this generations Pink Floyd? Maybe in a few years but not now.

Pink Floyd in my mind is a clear marker of old school prog rock, whereas Muse is in a different league altogether.. Pink Floyd members are probably starting to use their bus passes and look at stannah stairlifts in magazines with free parker pens :D

I think the muse boys have plenty of gas in the tank. Act your shoesize not your age :awesome:

I wonder if people would be like "the wall is cool and all but it has lost it's appeal" "I liked the wall thing at first but after the x billion gig I've been, I don't think is that interesting anymore" "I would prefer to see the band playing without all this theatrical shit going on" "I don't like the wall because is restricting their set" "They are on autopilot" bla bla bla
LOL! you can bet that with internet back then and a PF board, there would definitely be a bit of that.

but at the same time, i dont know whether it would overshadow in any way the spectacle they put. and the same goes for muse now. we sometimes forget that just because WE go to several gigs and we know setlists and know the band very well to the point of being able to pinpoint all slight changes from gig to gig and tour to tour, the truth is that we continue to be a vvvvvvvvvveerry small minority among those who attend a muse gig. and even among those of us who identify all small changes and pay attention to detail, not everyone sees it negatively.

completely agree with your entire post. as it often happens :LOL:

TBH, Muse are a great band, that will probably be remembered for a very long time. But like I said, they are closer to U2 and maybe Queen. And I'm not ashamed to put them in the same sentence as Queen, no.

But progressive? No.

TBH, Muse are a great band, that will probably be remembered for a very long time. But like I said, they are closer to U2 and maybe Queen. And I'm not ashamed to put them in the same sentence as Queen, no.

But progressive? No.

I agree with you.

Hey!You're back!:D

I hope what you said doesn't mean you don't like Muse too:p

But progressive? No.

:phu:

Archived