Here's your ridiculously shitty Uprising cover of the week

emperorhand

I searched and didn't find this, so apologies in advance if it's a duplicate.

One of my former students alerted me to this Uprising cover by the American metalcore band Iwrestledabearonce Yes, there are no spaces in that name. They're different, you see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XbT6ZU7ipM

Definitely check out the part around 3:15. It gets...interesting.

It's slightly easier to get through than that cover from American Idol. At least here the vocalist doesn't sound like a stray cat in heat.

The vocalist was surprisingly good, and the last chorus was brilliant.

The vocalist was surprisingly good, and the last chorus was brilliant.

I have to say, the clean vocals surprised me. I was more shocked that it took them that long to get to the screaming (as that's their normal form of vocals).

I actually think the screams work and add a pissed off feeling to the song that's not present in the original (even though it comes from a place of anger).

I have to say, the clean vocals surprised me. I was more shocked that it took them that long to get to the screaming (as that's their normal form of vocals).

I actually think the screams work and add a pissed off feeling to the song that's not present in the original (even though it comes from a place of anger).

Yeah I think you're right. I certainly think this cover is a lot more imaginative and meaningful than that ridiculous attempt on AI.

I don't think the original is meant to have a pissed off feel. I think it's meant to have a quirky, fun element, while at the same time having a message. I suppose Muse could have added a darker feel since they do it so well, but I'm not sure that was the point.

The AI cover went too far into the ridiculous and was just plain bad.

This goes the other way, and adds menace, which is interesting. You can feel the darkness of it. I like the instrumentals too.

I don't think the original is meant to have a pissed off feel. I think it's meant to have a quirky, fun element, while at the same time having a message. I suppose Muse could have added a darker feel since they do it so well, but I'm not sure that was the point.

I think that lyrically, the original comes from a place of, if not pissed off anger, at least frustration at the way things are being run by "the man". The song is supposed to be a call for an "Uprising" after all.

Then again, this is the band who said that politicians would "burn in hell" for the ways they've fucked over the people they're supposed to represent.

I think that lyrically, the original comes from a place of, if not pissed off anger, at least frustration at the way things are being run by "the man". The song is supposed to be a call for an "Uprising" after all.

Then again, this is the band who said that politicians would "burn in hell" for the ways they've fucked over the people they're supposed to represent.

I think the original Uprising is tempered. I wouldn't exactly say it's a call for an uprising. I think it's a representation of something that could happen. A comment rather than a call. I agree that it has probably arisen from frustration with how things are though.

I think the original Uprising is tempered. I wouldn't exactly say it's a call for an uprising. I think it's a representation of something that could happen. A comment rather than a call. I agree that it has probably arisen from frustration with how things are though.

With lyrics like "let the revolution take its toll", "we should never be afraid to die", "rise up and take the power back" and "we have to unify", it seems to me to be a call to get off your ass and do something about the way one's country is being run, instead of whinging about it to anyone who'll listen.

With lyrics like "let the revolution take its toll", "we should never be afraid to die", "rise up and take the power back" and "we have to unify", it seems to me to be a call to get off your ass and do something about the way one's country is being run, instead of whinging about it to anyone who'll listen.

Well when Matt spoke about it, he said he was thinking of how football hooligans might react. I think basically it's firstly saying wake-up and secondly how people could snap and take action. And then he was also talking about the G20 protests, how protests could be non violent, and colourful, like a party, so I think it was meant as a combination of those things.

I don't think it was intended to be taken literally as a call for action, in that Matt Bellamy and Muse were calling on people to take up arms and fight for their country kind of thing. That's why I think it was a comment rather than a call. They did actually say that they weren't calling for a revolution but if people wanted to have one they'd join it.

Then again, maybe that was just a way of putting some distance between their own motivations and the lyrics. Afterall it's difficult to be a pacifist and a war monger at the same time! :chuckle: I don't know. :D

In any case, I think it's meant to represent a concept and is purposely upbeat. I take it in a tongue in cheek way, but underneath I think there is a serious point.

In any case, I think it's meant to represent a concept and is purposely upbeat. I take it in a tongue in cheek way, but underneath I think there is a serious point.

It has a very clear influence from early to mid 70's pop music, where there was a lot of that calling the gang together type thing, just with more of an ambiguous political slant.

As for comparing it to football hooliganism? Where we meant to turn up to Wembley with a couple of stanley knives taped together and tear the place apart?

When I was a little boy, my mother asked me what should I be;

Should I be Radiohead?

Should I be Muse?

Here's what she said to me!

Get your father's gun and shoot the Radiohead scum...

You can take it anyway you want.

I don't think when he wrote it Matt was thinking "I'd like to start a revolution today" or anything like that.

Then again, he did write "Assassin", and wonderful lyrics like:

War is overdue

The time has come for you

To shoot your leaders down

Join forces underground

not to mention the distorted voice that says:

Aim, shoot, kill your leaders

Aim, Kill them all

I know that they aren't literally telling people to go out and do that. However, those lyrics clearly from some sort of anger/frustration at the government.

It has a very clear influence from early to mid 70's pop music, where there was a lot of that calling the gang together type thing, just with more of an ambiguous political slant.

As for comparing it to football hooliganism? Where we meant to turn up to Wembley with a couple of stanley knives taped together and tear the place apart?

When I was a little boy, my mother asked me what should I be;

Should I be Radiohead?

Should I be Muse?

Here's what she said to me!

Get your father's gun and shoot the Radiohead scum...

Yeah I thought the football hooligan comment was a little strange, but that's what he said.

I didn't know about the 70s calling the gang together thing, so that's interesting.

two comments...

1) when i first saw the band name I thought it said "i wrestled a bear on ice"... I had this image of a metalhead rushing the rink during the ice capades and beating the heck out of an ice skater in a bear costume... i was so disappointed when i realized i was wrong :(

2) when it got to 3:15 i thought my flash player was skipping so i checked it... then i lol'd...

Archived