For anyone who can't afford a Manson: the most similar one is Fender NOT Gibson!

miracleYs

i like your playing, i think i still can't play stockholm, but i have not played muse since ages.

but there is something fucked with your recording chain.

the guitar is not mono in the beginning, actually if you eliminate the center of the stereo field, you get some nasty brutal sounds, (they are like panned next to the center like 10% left and right) they are almost cool but they are certainly not related to your guitar. they are peaking about 5db lower than your guitar.

i think that is what james heard as clipping. plus the crashes on the backing track killed my ears.

Overdriven single coils sound "fatter" than humbuckers, just you get a harsher upper mid range, more drive & sustain with overdriven humbuckers.

Clearly not enough people bother to listen to enough Led Zeppelin. Page's Telecaster sounds absolutely massive compared to his Les Paul.

Although you do get warmer, "fatter" cleans with humbuckers.

Overdriven single coils sound "fatter" than humbuckers, just you get a harsher upper mid range, more drive & sustain with overdriven humbuckers.

Clearly not enough people bother to listen to enough Led Zeppelin. Page's Telecaster sounds absolutely massive compared to his Les Paul.

Although you do get warmer, "fatter" cleans with humbuckers.

I only really find that the case with the neck pickup to be honest. I don't really like neck humbuckers at all though...it's a bit over the top

I know what you mean about the tele

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7dA6M3UXSw

The LP was used with a different setup, but I think this is a good example of how a LP should sound...it's a bit different from his usual sound with the LP and marshalls though (which is usually thin and trebly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBZ1e5YAHzk

Hello, I'm about to get a new guitar I'm really into the Muse sound style. I'm a bit confusing between the blacktop telecaster and blacktop jaguar, they have the same pickups and switch positions. I really love the shape of the jaguar but it has a smaller scale my hands aren't so big so I don't know if it would be a problem. But I'm wondering if the smaller scale will change the sound or it will sounds like the telecaster. Which one you would choose for Muse musics?

Thanks for help and sorry for my english =)

Hello, I'm about to get a new guitar I'm really into the Muse sound style. I'm a bit confusing between the blacktop telecaster and blacktop jaguar, they have the same pickups and switch positions. I really love the shape of the jaguar but it has a smaller scale my hands aren't so big so I don't know if it would be a problem. But I'm wondering if the smaller scale will change the sound or it will sounds like the telecaster. Which one you would choose for Muse musics?

Thanks for help and sorry for my english =)

The smaller scale will be better for your hands as the neck isnt as long and frets closer together. Its not a world of difference but you will feel it, and so long as you have heavy strings, there shouldn't be a problem for drop tuning either.

If both are made from the same wood, with the same wood necks and with similar electrics they will sound similar. But then again, no 2 guitars sound the same.

Lets take a closer look...

I really wouldn't say the strat is a good choice to be honest, but I can't argue with the HH tele.

Yes. Matt even said himself when he was designing his guitars that he wanted a guitar that felt/played like a Fender and sounded like a Gibson.

Before you read any further, you're still entitled to your opinion, so don't take this the wrong way....

I always thought Darkshines was recorded on his Fender aloha strat.

But besides that, I don't hear exactly what you mean with the fender like 'twang' on time is running out. That has a fairly heavy sound in my opinion.

Keep in mind that most tracks since black holes and revelations have been recorded with Mansons that are loaded with P90 single coil pickups. Supermassive black hole definitely sounds like a single coil.

That's only the neck pickup though, not the bridge pickup...the M1D1 black has the pickups wired as a single coil or together as one huge humbucker, and I'm fairly certain he uses both of those settings. Sure, a fair few of his guitars have P90s now, and he uses them for recording as well, but live he uses the bridge humbucker in the red glitter, seattle, etc quite a lot.

I wouldn't say they produce a brighter sound. Depends on which guitar though - some of them are actually fairly bright, like the M1D1 black with the bridge P90 only (not as a humbucker). His current live sound is actually quite heavy in the low mids, and he said he aims for that sort of sound if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure what you mean by that exactly, but as I said earlier, Matt described them as a guitar that plays like a fender and sounds like a gibson.

Yes. I agree that the HH tele would work well, especially the mahogany ones.

+1

No problem.

Now if you want my opinion, it really depends on what you want exactly...if you want the sound, go for a gibson with humbuckers or P90s. If you want the looks (sort of) too, get a tele (preferably made of ash or mahogany) with some humbuckers.

Really appreciate you read this detailedly :)

When I quote "Time is running out", I meant the Live version. But I guess you're right, sometimes I mistook P-90s for nomal single-coils.

However, to my ear, I still think that no matter what pickups Manson has, it still produces a bright sound, even with heavy-distortion, it's like a unique bright distorted sound. So it's more like a humbucking/P-90 Fender, not as fat and deep as Gibson.

And you're right, M1D1 Black is especially bright, but that fits my opinion, too. And I don't know if you noticed, the M1D1 Black has been the main guitar in Muse Lives. Many songs Matt plays uses this guitaar, doesn't he?

Hey, I'm also in NY :)

Really appreciate you read this detailedly :)

When I quote "Time is running out", I meant the Live version. But I guess you're right, sometimes I mistook P-90s for nomal single-coils.

However, to my ear, I still think that no matter what pickups Manson has, it still produces a bright sound, even with heavy-distortion, it's like a unique bright distorted sound. So it's more like a humbucking/P-90 Fender, not as fat and deep as Gibson.

And you're right, M1D1 Black is especially bright, but that fits my opinion, too. And I don't know if you noticed, the M1D1 Black has been the main guitar in Muse Lives. Many songs Matt plays uses this guitaar, doesn't he?

Hey, I'm also in NY :)

Cool, not many people from the US in kit and tab, let alone NY!

Yes, you're spot on about the live versions of time is running out - they sometimes play house of the rising sun right before that, and you can really hear how bright it is. However, that's just with the bottom pickup - he does switch the top one on (so both function as one huge humbucker) sometimes and it sounds completely different.

As for the humbucker equipped ones, he does get a heavier sound with those, but I wouldn't necessarily call it bright. The sound of the guitar itself depends on the wood as well - some of his guitars are mahogany, some are ash, some are poplar, and even alder. All have a different sound really.

But if you listen to some absolution era live recordings, his sound is noticeably different to how it is now. I think the main difference is his amp setup, and the fact that he changed the pickups in most of his guitars.

Either way, I'd say they're somewhere between a fender and gibson....it's just hard to say what they're closer to. I'd say gibson, but it depends.

Do you need a Fender start or will any old start do?

Yeah, what about this guitar that isn't a Fender start but it looks like one. Will it work as good as a Fender one?

I'm not really sure about the pickups though if they're single coil or not because I can't see the dots?

Hum... They reaaaaaaaaally don't look like single coils to me.

You on shrooms? They're those newfangled stacked singecoils from EMG (omg metul XD). They're wrapped in silver and they look like humbuckers but they're really just single coils. the extra space is filled in with the shreds of Herman Li's soul

• 4 months later...

OH GOD people...It's all in the wood + guitar construction...HB on a Gibson sounds heavy because of the bigger hollower body, neck not screwed but glued and strings that are put through the body instead of sitting on the metal parts of the tremolo...Thats where the sound comes from...A Humbucker on Fender is always closer to a single coil on Fender than to a HB Gibson sound...

I really think Matt's sound is more Fender based - 1. - because his Manson guitars are in fact telecasters (the way they are constructed), 2. - I like his sound and I don't like LP Gibson sound...

But it's really somewhere in between, in my opinion closer to Fenders but whatever...Because even though his core sound is trebly, upper mids Fender (+ Fuzz Factory (trebly) + VOX AC30 - the trebliest (is that the word?) beast ever :-) my favourite), he's doing a lot of things to make it sound a bit like a Gibson too - Motherbuckers, another heavier amps blended with the Vox sound, etc...So in fact his sound is like a HB Tele or Strat...If anything, it sound dangerously close to a Gibson SG, which he was in fact using during Showbiz era...

So definitely NO Gibson Les Paul, but Thinline or Backtop Tele or SG...

OH GOD people...It's all in the wood + guitar construction...HB on a Gibson sounds heavy because of the bigger hollower body, neck not screwed but glued and strings that are put through the body instead of sitting on the metal parts of the tremolo...Thats where the sound comes from...A Humbucker on Fender is always closer to a single coil on Fender than to a HB Gibson sound...

I really think Matt's sound is more Fender based - 1. - because his Manson guitars are in fact telecasters (the way they are constructed), 2. - I like his sound and I don't like LP Gibson sound...

But it's really somewhere in between, in my opinion closer to Fenders but whatever...Because even though his core sound is trebly, upper mids Fender (+ Fuzz Factory (trebly) + VOX AC30 - the trebliest (is that the word?) beast ever :-) my favourite), he's doing a lot of things to make it sound a bit like a Gibson too - Motherbuckers, another heavier amps blended with the Vox sound, etc...So in fact his sound is like a HB Tele or Strat...If anything, it sound dangerously close to a Gibson SG, which he was in fact using during Showbiz era...

And the last horse crosses the line, then necro-posts

you're contradicting yourself. you're saying hardware, wood, construction, etc makes a difference, but you're comparing a blacktop tele to an SG...two completely different guitars

If anything, it sound dangerously close to a Gibson SG, which he was in fact using during Showbiz era...

hmm....don't forget that he used the roland VG with his guitars, so the sound is modified with the roland...just watch the werchter 2000....he plays on gibson sg junior and it sounds like when it's on the peavey wolgang or other guitar...

I don't really think that Gibson SG is a good guitar for muse...Just a mahogany guitar with humbucker and P90 in neck, and I think it's pretty good for muse...But don't forget the amps and effects :D

you're contradicting yourself. you're saying hardware, wood, construction, etc makes a difference, but you're comparing a blacktop tele to an SG...two completely different guitars

Well in that part I was just saying that SG is (to my ears) closer to the Muse sound than LP, because it's sound is (I think) somewhere between Fender and Les Paul - as are Matt's guitars...Construction is of course different, that's why Tele with Humbucker and P90 gets you closest probably...

Re:muse59200: Ok now that I think of it, I was wrong to say it's that close but I still think it's closer than Les Paul - played both and Les Paul is just a completely different sound, like the other side of a barricade...SG really is closer yet still far...

Yes...but really....I don't think the guitar is very important for the muse sound...For a sound close to muse,just have a guitar with humbucker, and a guitar with P90, and it's gone.

But really need a marshall amp, few effects like whammy and delay...Need more if you really want the same sound.

Archived