Recommend a good guitar for a beginner???

Lucy

I seriosly recommend a Yamaha Pacifica 120 SJ, I own one and feel its better than my Epiphone Les Paul SG (weird hybrid guitar). Its been reviewed as being as good as a fender telecaster.

Matt used to use one in the early showbiz gigs (it had slighty different pickups though).

I like it so much I'm modding it (intergrating a Fuzz factory and mxr phase 90) to be a crappy take on a Manson Silver Mattocaster till I can afford a bomber manson replica.

You can get a Yamaha 120SJ for £135 at PieDog, search on google for the link.

Get one, there pefect for beginners and look great.

• 1 year later...

Ok I'm not really a beginner anymore, but I still want some advice. I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half now, and I'm thinking about buying a new guitar. Right now I've got an Ibanez GRX70, which plays and sounds good too me, but I haven't played on a different guitar yet... It was in a starter pack, combined with an amp (shitty starter amp, 15 watt or something). Now I have bought a new amp, which is a London City 100W tube amp. I'm getting a 4x12" cab soon, and I'm looking around for some effect pedals. Of course, being a Muse fan, I want loads of different effects but I'm thinking about a new guitar first. Now i've heard a lot about those yamaha pacifica's, but I dunno if it's such a big improvement from my current guitar. My budget is about €300-€400. Any advice?

Ok I'm not really a beginner anymore, but I still want some advice. I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half now, and I'm thinking about buying a new guitar. Right now I've got an Ibanez GRX70, which plays and sounds good too me, but I haven't played on a different guitar yet... It was in a starter pack, combined with an amp (shitty starter amp, 15 watt or something). Now I have bought a new amp, which is a London City 100W tube amp. I'm getting a 4x12" cab soon, and I'm looking around for some effect pedals. Of course, being a Muse fan, I want loads of different effects but I'm thinking about a new guitar first. Now i've heard a lot about those yamaha pacifica's, but I dunno if it's such a big improvement from my current guitar. My budget is about €300-€400. Any advice?

You can get a really good guitar on eBay for a cheap price. Just do some searching. I rarely use any of my other guitars since buying my Strat on eBay. I think I got it for $600-700 USD. Pretty good price for an American Strat that probably sells for $1500. Effects are where you'll drop big money. There's so much demand for them, you actually don't get much of a bargain shopping on eBay.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drag this thread back from the grave but..

Ive been interested in starting playing the guitar for some time, but cant afford it yet... then it hit me, its christmas in 2 months, so I could try get one then.

I read through this thread, have read through similar threads on other sites, and generally spent along time reading.

So far Ive come to either getting the Yamaha Pacifica 112 or the 012 version.

The thing thats currently swaying me towards the 012 is that there are several places that sell it with an amp and cable, where as the 112 only comes on its own.

They are roughly the same price, even with the amp included with the 012.

So I put it to you:

Do you reccomend I get a 112 for around £150 and then get an amp seperately, or get a 012 with amp for around £145 ?

I havnt been able to find any reviews which suggest one is much better then the other, but I assume there must be something better about the 112. or it wouldnt cost that amount.

Im mainly goinging for a musy sort of sound, which seems to lead me to either of these guitars. Both have the same pickups, same design and seem to be the same in pretty much every way..:unsure:

Thanks

Sorry to drag this thread back from the grave but..

Thanks

That little 10W amp won't be much cop, though. I'd be tempted to buy the 112, an amp, and ask the shop very nicely to throw in a strap and cable. Might be £50 more, but I think the quality difference in the amp will be large.

Well it depends on how serious you are about playing the guitar. If you plan to keep playing till you die then I suggest you go with the 112. If you want to try to learn guitar but you're not sure if you're gonna keep playing guitar (ie: it seems harder then you thought) then I suggest you get the 012 package. I started with an Ibanez starter pack and I regret it. I was really serious about guitar playing and I was pretty sure I would be playing for a long time to come. Starter pack amps are really shitty and I would suggest you buy something better which has sound descent sound to it. It will cost some more but then again, you probably wont have to upgrade as soon. I don't mean go tube instantly but you can get a descent 30W combo amp for about €200, which would be about 130 pounds (I guess).

Compare this with this and make a decision.

Well obviously I cant say for certain that i will take to playing the guitar and will like it, but im determined to learn and see it as something that I will really enjoy doing , now and later in life..

Having looked at both of those sites, the 112 seems more popula :)

Ive got a friend who had been playing about 7+ years now, and his dad has played for much longer, so he knows his stuff. Im going to get him to come with me to the logal music shop where Ive seen a poster saying "Yamaha Sold Here " (or words to that effect). Ill get him to give his oppinion and make sure im not mislead by the shop assistant :p

As for amps, what would you suggest ?

I imagin to begin with I will just be playing to myself, but Ive got a few mate who play guitar, one that plays bass and someone who plays drums, so I could be playing with them, though I think a stage performance might wait till im a bit better :happy:

The Vox Pathfinder seems to be rasonable, and with the guitar should come to around £200, a nice round figure :p

It looks like it has would give more variables (for lack of a better word), in the the yamaha one basically only had a on/off swith and a volume dial, where as the Pathfinder has more like Gain, Boost, Tremolo, Reverb, treble and bass.

Idealy Id like to stick to a cheaper amp, less than £60

And other suggestions ?

Never played a Pathfinder, myself, but yes, you're quite right, it will give many more tonal options and will sound much better than the weedy little freebie amp. I quite like the little Roland Cube amps, too, personally. They do a tiny 15W version, that is only £59. The slightly bigger 30W is alot more money, but has built in effects, which is worth considering.

Anyway, depends on what the shop sells, really, as you'd be best to buy it all off one place- they are likely then to bung in the bits and bobs (cable, strap, plectrums) for free.

Well after looking around the internet Ive found this

large_112xjsl.jpg

This is the only site ive seen selling silver 112s, and I love it :happy:

The plan is now to go to the shop and try/listen to some different guitars, including a 112, and then if I like it get this silver one.

The only problem with that being that I can't now ask the shop to throw some extras in, and whilst typing this ive realised that there are quite a few extras (Strap, Stand, Bag, Tuner, Cables, Plectrums)

There's also various Epiphones and Mexican Fenders you could try out.

Given the nature of the amp you're getting, I'd go with Muserist. I own pretty much the same amp and find the volumes that I can use it at are best suited to single coils, humbuckers can sound a bit dull, they are awesome if you can turn up to 10, but I imagine that'll be rarely and you'll never manage that at a gig, where you'd be lucky to get it up to 3 to be perfectly honest.

So I'd recommend a Fender of some description. Play clean with the neck pickup on one of those and you'd be in heaven :happy:

Given the nature of the amp you're getting, I'd go with Muserist. I own pretty much the same amp and find the volumes that I can use it at are best suited to single coils, humbuckers can sound a bit dull, they are awesome if you can turn up to 10, but I imagine that'll be rarely and you'll never manage that at a gig, where you'd be lucky to get it up to 3 to be perfectly honest.

So I'd recommend a Fender of some description. Play clean with the neck pickup on one of those and you'd be in heaven :happy:

Thnx for the advice, but I already bought an Epiphone. Les Paul Standard Plus, which sounds a whole lot better then my previous guitar, even on my shitty amp. We'll see how it sounds on my tube amp when I get my cabinet.

• 6 months later...

If you want a guitar that's affordable (and Muse-ish), from my experience I would go with an Ibanez. They play rather well (I like how they play better than any other non-custom guitar), sound fine, and I hear that before Bellamy started playing Manson guitars, he used Ibanez, which is encouraging. I currently play an RG series on that I got for $300, which is fairly affordable, and it's a good guitar, although I plan on buying an S series once I get the money together, because S's are so... amazingly beautiful (to look at too, but primarily play)

If you want a guitar that's affordable (and Muse-ish), from my experience I would go with an Ibanez. They play rather well (I like how they play better than any other non-custom guitar), sound fine, and I hear that before Bellamy started playing Manson guitars, he used Ibanez, which is encouraging. I currently play an RG series on that I got for $300, which is fairly affordable, and it's a good guitar, although I plan on buying an S series once I get the money together, because S's are so... amazingly beautiful (to look at too, but primarily play)

talking of ibanez, i got a GSZ120 for £120. its pretty damned good, holds tune and sounds pretty nice. i replaced the bridge pickup and its a total axe.

I'm very fond of the Gibson Explorer--it's very comfortable to play, has great sustain, and well, it looks very nice! They are very exy however, so I was very fortunate to find a Dean Z sunburst, which is exactly like the Gibson but about $500 cheaper, and it has custom DiMarzios to boot--I got this guitar for $170 US (about 80 pounds)--no case however, so I'm still looking for one! It needs a little electrical work--it's used, obviously--but I just love it and it's a screamer--great for Stockhom Syndrome! I put it through a mini Marshall stack, which I have to say, makes a big noise and attracts a lot of attention--it also looks very nice in my sitting room!

But, for what it's worth, you can't beat going to a good guitar shop, preferably one that deals in used equipment, and just asking and trying out what suits you in your price range. All these suggestions are good--Fender, Ibanez, Yamaha, Epiphone, Dean :D ...you're bound to find something to suit you!

ive got an epiphone les paul flame top custom and it is incredible

their many of the higher epiphone products, so yeah they are going to be much more reliable than the cheap options

i personally love it:)

great pickups and a neck with a lovely fluid feel

might mod the bridge pickup sometime when i have the cash

well worth the £360 i paid for it:D

the VOX AD15VT is a very reliable bedroom amp too:LOL:

ive got an epiphone les paul flame top custom and it is incredible

their many of the higher epiphone products, so yeah they are going to be much more reliable than the cheap options

i personally love it:)

great pickups and a neck with a lovely fluid feel

might mod the bridge pickup sometime when i have the cash

well worth the £360 i paid for it:D

the VOX AD15VT is a very reliable bedroom amp too:LOL:

Am I still getting your old squire to fuck about with :p

how the hell do you get so much money anyway :(

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, that's it! I'm getting a guitar. I've saved enough money and I've wanted one for a while now. Does anyone know of a good one for around $400 - $500 Dollars?

Thanks!

Michelle

hi id reccomend a ibanez destroyer (DT-555) great guitar and if ur not into heavy metal guitars maybe a fender stratocaster vintage (the squeir versions cheaper) hope im help :LOL:

Archived