Recommend a good guitar for a beginner???

Lucy

nope, in fact most teenagers start with electric. personally, i started learning by myslef on a nylon-stringed acoustic, but my technique sucked. i got an electric, starting taking lessons... voila, huge improvement :)

I dunno if i'm too late to comment, but i can't be arsed reading all 4 pages. My guitar was only £220 and i love it! Its an OLP MM1, you can see a pic of it here

I love it so much, i used to use a Jim Deacon Strat Copy, which was really a piece of pish. This one plays like a dream, and you can do pretty much anything you want on it. Its a sturdy wee bugger too, dunno how many times i've battered mine off amps and it still works perfectly. And you look pretty stylish on stage with one of these, strats are so cliche. As with Ibanezes. I know people say "its not about the looks" but pfft to them.

Tis a great guitar...

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, sorry to bring an old thread up again :happy:

Well I've been trying to figure out what electric to get for the past couple of months and now I have the time so I'm hoping to actually buy sometime soon. Obviously I've heard great things about Yamaha Pacificas and Ibanez's, I must say that I've slightly fallen in love with the Pacifica 120... can anyone explain to me why it's cheaper than the 112? Anyone played, recommend?

I have a loan of an Epiphone off a friend, not sure what model only that it says Gibson at the top lol. Not too impressed at first but soon discovered that it was because he hadn't replaced the strings for about 2 years... nasty :rolleyes: Also a crap amp and that I've only been playing since Jan. (altho I'd like to think I'm a bit better than that ;) )but that's not the point lol

So I'm really leaning towards this Pacifica 120, if anyone has anything to say on it I'd love to hear, seen it on soundslive.co.uk for €216 (112 - €231). Oh and is it ok to buy a guitar online? Is it a really bad idea like do the same models differ a lot and you have to try the exact one you're going to buy or anything?

Probably going to end up buying a Fender amp, the 2nd cheapest one w/ the little effects thing most likely. The guitar shop near me doesn't have a great selection of amps lol.

Anyway, long post, thanks a mil for all the stuff here already, everything helps! :D

hey! I have a westfield gig bag for my Tanglewood! and the bass player in my Band has a westfield, and its a pretty nice instrument!

Well, I don't know about basses. Just, I have a Westfield guitar, and it's the most horrible guitar ever. I wish I had known that when I bought the thing, I knew nothing about guitars back then..

EDIT:

Although, I think a big part of the problem is my amp, it is also an almighty heap of shite, really.

Cheap Epiphones are just as shit as encores. Think about a yamaha pacifica, a Aria or if your wanting a les paul, Vintage. There all good cheap beginner guitars. But if you got an aria you could probably get a Guitar Amp and Accessories for £120.

Vintage used to be good, though now they're as bad as encore...they realized how popular their impressive quality guitars were and the quailty control shot down...lukily I have one of the good ones, though a mate on the school bus has a really awful horrible one, bought a year after mine...I'd steer clear...

Vintage used to be good, though now they're as bad as encore...they realized how popular their impressive quality guitars were and the quailty control shot down...lukily I have one of the good ones, though a mate on the school bus has a really awful horrible one, bought a year after mine...I'd steer clear...

wondered why my local shop stopped stocking them....

So it's not a crime to buy guitars off the net then? Anyone seen this site : Regent Guitars, look pretty good I'm swayed by them blabbing on about how the "set up the guitars correctly" etc. :cool:

Stuff like thats generally ok off the net. When you are starting to buy vintage gear though, they tend to vary from quality to quality and definitely second hand stuff has this issue so try to try but for most new stuff its ok to buy online so long as you've played a similar instrument

I have a loan of an Epiphone off a friend, not sure what model only that it says Gibson at the top lol. Not too impressed at first but soon discovered that it was because he hadn't replaced the strings for about 2 years... nasty :rolleyes: Also a crap amp and that I've only been playing since Jan. (altho I'd like to think I'm a bit better than that ;) )but that's not the point lol

P.S. If it has Gibson written on the headstock, it's a Gibson, not an Epiphone...If it were Epiphone, it would have ... dum dum duuuuu ... Epiphone written on it. :eek:

But yeah, the Pacifica's good, I've got a 112, having done some research, I think the 120's cheaper because of the lack of tremelo and less pickups (?!), although I'm not sure at all.

P.S. If it has Gibson written on the headstock, it's a Gibson, not an Epiphone...If it were Epiphone, it would have ... dum dum duuuuu ... Epiphone written on it. :eek:

Ah yes, but you see that's just the point it has Gibson written under the strings at the... nut bit and Epiphone bigger above it, therefore bringing me to the conclusion it's an Epi lol.

But yeah, the Pacifica's good, I've got a 112, having done some research, I think the 120's cheaper because of the lack of tremelo and less pickups (?!), although I'm not sure at all.

But it's only €20! Surely there can't be that much dif :confused: So technically the 112 is a better guitar then? Dammit I was getting really attached to the shape of the 120. Are you sure thats all the actual dif., technology-wise?

Hmm, maybe time to do some of my own research :happy:

QUOTE]

not true at all. A friend of mine who works at a guitar shop once had a guy bring in a squire with fender on the headstock.

Ah yes, but you see that's just the point it has Gibson written under the strings at the... nut bit and Epiphone bigger above it, therefore bringing me to the conclusion it's an Epi lol.

But it's only €20! Surely there can't be that much dif :confused: So technically the 112 is a better guitar then? Dammit I was getting really attached to the shape of the 120. Are you sure thats all the actual dif., technology-wise?

Hmm, maybe time to do some of my own research :happy:

Ahhh, yeah, it'll be an Epi then.

And thinking about it, the 120 has 2 humbuckers, so it'll be better to play Muse on and heavier stuff like that. If the stock ones are crap, stick in whatever Matt uses and you're off. So, the difference is that there probably isn't a difference...

Archived