Recommend a good guitar for a beginner???

Lucy

I like my gibsons, but they definitely aren't perfect (lots of finish flaws on some, but worst problem is the sharp frets on my SG, but that's partially my fault)... new ones right now seem to be worse than ever. (newest one I have is 2006, and it's good at best).

i just hate the necks on modern SG's, really fat and unplayable, it takes the piss when you compare it to what they made in the 60's and 70's.

so very different to fender where the quality thesedays is just as good as what they were making in the 70's.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this thread again but I need some guitar upgrade advice.

Not too keen on the Pacifica's to be honest, neither the Stratocaster's either.

I'm looking to spend around £250ish (max £300) on the guitar and £100-150 on a decent amp.

Right now I'm looking at a Squier Tele Custom II (http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0327602506), which was £180 in soundcontrol and a Roland Cube 20x.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for this type of price.

get a Squier Tele Custom II and a Roland Cube 20x.

squier tele's are generally awesome..... please don't reply going on how much you hate squiers until you've tried the tele (not the squier strat) through a decent tube amp. hugely underrated and it's shocking, anyone who disses them is full of shit and shouldn't be listened to.

Guest bshuker

best guitar for beginner is whichever one they like the most in the shop because they'll play it more. it doesn't matter what it sounds or looks like at first, as long as it plays in tune and they keep picking the thing up

Epi SG's play better than the piles of crap gibson make these days.... but once you've touched an early 70's SG, there's no way you can play either of them :LOL:

I recently got a vintage epi SG and it's really a good guitar for price (190 squid :D)

i chucked in a nailbomb and its now actually one of my best axes! :D

neck's ded smooth and thin, easy access frets, its all good :)

that's your opinion and what you like in a guitar, i feel this guitars perfect for me

end.

it isnt an opinon mate, its a fact. if its fine for you then i couldnt give a fuck, have a banna, but dont go misleading people saying

neck's ded smooth and thin, easy access frets, its all good :)

compared to my ibanez it fucking isnt it IS like a cricket bat in comparison, i can get the dimentions if you want to split hairs and be a cocksmoker.

it isnt an opinon mate, its a fact. if its fine for you then i couldnt give a fuck, have a banna, but dont go misleading people saying

compared to my ibanez it fucking isnt it IS like a cricket bat in comparison, i can get the dimentions if you want to split hairs and be a cocksmoker.

sorry mate but too far.

your being very childish arguing over a fucking guitar.

ive got it, i deal with it.

sorry mate but too far.

actually, red is right, if you've ever used an ibanez, or even a vintage gibson, the necks on epi's and especially modern gibson sg's are like cricket bats.

that's not opinion, opinion is whether you prefer a fatter neck or a thin one, personally i like the thicker neck you get with tele's, but not gibsons, they feel wrong, ibanez necks are cool.

sorry mate but too far.

you should have seen teh first draft, i was on a roll but i decided to lighten it up.

actually, red is right, if you've ever used an ibanez, or even a vintage gibson, the necks on epi's and especially modern gibson sg's are like cricket bats.

that's not opinion, opinion is whether you prefer a fatter neck or a thin one, personally i like the thicker neck you get with tele's, but not gibsons, they feel wrong, ibanez necks are cool.

oh right, well, this neck on my SG is kinda thin(ish), i prefer a bit of thickness (ive got large hands :LOL:)

nah i dont like gibson necks, their too too thick for me. dont take me wrong, i really like ibanezes but their not my fav guitars, necks are nice, but too thin for me :LOL:

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread up from the grave, but I didn't want to make a new thread ;o

WHICH TO CHOOSE?

I'm getting my first electric, (already own an acoustic), and I need help.

I think I've narrowed it down to these two guitars:

The ol' Yamaha Pacifica 112 (Probably in Red if it matters) :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar?sku=511077

And a Squier Telecaster Custom:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Tele-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=515113

The only thing I'm afraid of is that I won't be able to afford a Fender Tele, but would have to go with a Squier. Which one is recommended?

If you want to know what my favorite bands are, they include Muse, Rage Against The Machine, The Hives, Malajube, Arctic Monkeys, so I want something that can do a similar sound to that.

Also, I'm looking for an amp as well. Thinking about a Roland Microcube, a 15x or a 20x. Is the extra money worth it to get a 20 over a 15? The extra effects look really cool, but I don't know if it's worth it if i'm just playing within the confines of my home.

Thanks

Archived