Muse taping allowed?

joeshambro

hey there..

Was just curious, especially since there's a bootleg forum... is taping allowed at Muse shows? Who should I contact to get the policy clarified for me?

I haven't seen anything to attest to the fact, but with their upcoming US tour I'd like to tape a couple shows...

hey there..

Was just curious, especially since there's a bootleg forum... is taping allowed at Muse shows? Who should I contact to get the policy clarified for me?

I haven't seen anything to attest to the fact, but with their upcoming US tour I'd like to tape a couple shows...

Is it legal to put live recordings on websites? aswell, thought i may as well get that off my chest

HAha lol its totally illegal, if you got spotted by a stward or summit they will proberly smash up your recorder and chuck you out ect.. they can even get the police involved :rolleyes: lol. but most stewards wouldnt really care less but if you were spotted by someone who does care you could get in trouble, the best thing to do is try to hide it have it in a pocket or summit and have the mic hangin out of your colar ect... i am gonna b recording a gig next monday in a little club place(not muse) but i think i will just have to hold my recorder kinda shoulder hite so knowone out of pit can really see it :cool:

but you might aswell try and record it, its very rare to actually get caught ect...

:)

• 2 years later...

hello, i was searching around in this forum for info about bootlegging, and i came to this subject..i read on the net also, that you might be able to record the gig directly from the soundboard..does anyone know wether "Muse" allow this?

Firstly, you might not want to use the term bootleg when you ask venues/managements about recording a show. Although it is used on the board to name this section it is usually associated with recording shows in order to sell them with profit, which bands/managements don't want (as they want to sell their official CDs)!

Nowadays, recordings of shows get usually shared on the internet (or traded) without profit, which is considered okay for most bands. Not all bands want this as they might be afraid for "crap" sounding recordings causing people not liking the band (esp. those who don't check out the official stuff and get a wrong idea of how a band sounds).

Now some venues don't allow taping. To be honest I don't know why, maybe it is just because they don't want to bother about asking band/management if they are ok with taping.

Seeing Muse has a bootleg section on the forum I would say they don't mind getting their shows recorded (makes it easier for tapers and hence the recordings are usually not so bad). It would be nice to see an official statement though (if they allow taping ;)) maybe somebody can pm kirk about this??

HAha lol its totally illegal, if you got spotted by a stward or summit they will proberly smash up your recorder and chuck you out ect.. they can even get the police involved :rolleyes: lol. but most stewards wouldnt really care less but if you were spotted by someone who does care you could get in trouble, the best thing to do is try to hide it have it in a pocket or summit and have the mic hangin out of your colar ect... i am gonna b recording a gig next monday in a little club place(not muse) but i think i will just have to hold my recorder kinda shoulder hite so knowone out of pit can really see it :cool:

but you might aswell try and record it, its very rare to actually get caught ect...

:)

Indeed getting caught is rare especially in Europe. Besides if you get caught (during after show) the worst that can happen is that you have to give them the tape. They are not allowed to take your recorder, although they probably will say they can.

If you get caught trying to get in with a recorder you have to put it in a wardrobe and you can pick it up after the show, just like a jacket / professional camera.

yeah thanks for that info dj

i will contact Tom Kirk, however, i think he won't reply..well..let's just try..

but what if i put it like: "there's a lot of people on the forum wonder about this", instead of just for my purpouse only, maybe he would wanna reply to that.. :unsure:

fingers crossed, i'll keep you informed if you like.

cheerios!

eve

• 1 year later...
yeah thanks for that info dj

i will contact Tom Kirk, however, i think he won't reply..well..let's just try..

but what if i put it like: "there's a lot of people on the forum wonder about this", instead of just for my purpouse only, maybe he would wanna reply to that.. :unsure:

fingers crossed, i'll keep you informed if you like.

cheerios!

eve

so, he did not reply...?

i was wondering whether people would bother putting up a petition on the web. there are similar petitions going on for other bands, like this:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?u22004

i find it kind of silly that muse obviously are ok with taping since they have a "bootleg" section on band's official forum but they couldn't make a statement for it (and yes, the term "bootleg" is actually a very wrong term to use - people should talk about "recordings" and not about "bootlegs" when talking about non-profit sharing/trading).

bands like pearl jam and smashing pumpkins (among others) have made official statement and i think it's cool.

and yeah, you can say petitions can be silly - but after all, petition worked with getting muse to play in finland (or at least played some part there, i'm sure) so maybe it would be worth it.

because the way i see it: i think it's a bit contradictory now that the band sort of does show green light for the fans to go out and tape (because they have bootleg section on the forum) BUT they cannot make it official - thus, if anyone gets caught taping and gets into trouble, it's sort of stupid that he's left to face the consequencies alone. i just see a contradiction there, a bit. why encourage something if it's not going to be ok?

(or even if the band's official view would be "ok then go and tape if you want BUT if you get caught, then it's your problem", they could at least say that in public and then everyone would know the deal in advance.)

• 1 year later...

i think its more likely to be a stealth job, as i know that in australia the venues do NOT like people recording...mainly because they have some radio/tv stations that are there recording (e.g triple j in australia has broadcast a few of muse's shows in sydney on the radio, so its just easier to let them tape it professionally and then just tape it off them).

majority of the time its the venues that dont like it...i have this problem sometimes with my digital SLR...some venues are incredibly cool with you taking photos with a pro camera, others are not...

general rule though is the bigger the venue, the less likely you're going to be able to record the show...

Firstly, you might not want to use the term bootleg when you ask venues/managements about recording a show. Although it is used on the board to name this section it is usually associated with recording shows in order to sell them with profit, which bands/managements don't want (as they want to sell their official CDs)!

Nowadays, recordings of shows get usually shared on the internet (or traded) without profit, which is considered okay for most bands. Not all bands want this as they might be afraid for "crap" sounding recordings causing people not liking the band (esp. those who don't check out the official stuff and get a wrong idea of how a band sounds).

Now some venues don't allow taping. To be honest I don't know why, maybe it is just because they don't want to bother about asking band/management if they are ok with taping.

Seeing Muse has a bootleg section on the forum I would say they don't mind getting their shows recorded (makes it easier for tapers and hence the recordings are usually not so bad). It would be nice to see an official statement though (if they allow taping ;)) maybe somebody can pm kirk about this??

your not just recording the band but the staff, the venue and the crowd. Plus they ask you not to film as realy it aint a public place. public place being a park or something. It safer for the venue to say no taking videos or pictures because of this. Just so if someone finds they have been recorded they can't go to the venue and say i was recorded im going to sue you. venues can turn around and say there is a no recoring policy take it up with the person who recorded it

hey all,

was wondering if there are any updates in regards to Muse's taping policy?

do they allow open taping? or is a "stealth" job?

thanks for your help! :D

Muse don't care really, it would seems. They obviously prefer high quality recording of themselves being distributed and don't like publishing anything below their standard so they'd probably want bootlegs to at least reflect the quality of their music! They are known for there live acts and anything that promotes this will probably only serve to benefit the band. You're not in competition with official recording by sharing bootlegs really so it does them no harm.

Just be careful who sees you doing it because venues will most likely confiscate anything they deem too suspicious.

And it should go without saying, don't do it for profit; don't sell or otherwise restrict the bootleg, since it is the property of Muse after all.

Just so if someone finds they have been recorded they can't go to the venue and say i was recorded im going to sue you.

Doesn't it say in TSP on the ticket (at least for Ticketmaster) that you must agree to the possibility of being recorded at the event? That would cover venue, band, and anyone else.

Venue's will always try to clamp down on recordings as they obviously don't have an open list naming which bands allow and which don't, they go by a one rule for all.

It appears Muse/management either don't care about recordings or actually realise they can't do anything about them so aslong as they're being spread for free they're just allowed to run their course to the fans.

• 9 months later...
so, he did not reply...?

i was wondering whether people would bother putting up a petition on the web. there are similar petitions going on for other bands, like this:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?u22004

i find it kind of silly that muse obviously are ok with taping since they have a "bootleg" section on band's official forum but they couldn't make a statement for it (and yes, the term "bootleg" is actually a very wrong term to use - people should talk about "recordings" and not about "bootlegs" when talking about non-profit sharing/trading).

bands like pearl jam and smashing pumpkins (among others) have made official statement and i think it's cool.

and yeah, you can say petitions can be silly - but after all, petition worked with getting muse to play in finland (or at least played some part there, i'm sure) so maybe it would be worth it.

Sorry to bump a very old thread, but I think it is silly that they don't make an official statement.

Or even better, do what Phish (and many other bands) do and just release a sound board recording of every show they play. Phish does this, and you can go to a website (livephish.com) and download the entire show for about $10. Yeah, you do have to pay...but in my opinion, I'd rather pay a band I love $10 to get a soundboard quality recording.

Sorry to bump a very old thread, but I think it is silly that they don't make an official statement.

Or even better, do what Phish (and many other bands) do and just release a sound board recording of every show they play. Phish does this, and you can go to a website (livephish.com) and download the entire show for about $10. Yeah, you do have to pay...but in my opinion, I'd rather pay a band I love $10 to get a soundboard quality recording.

100% agreed. While I can enjoy Muse's shows while recording, I would much rather not have to deal with it, and pay 10 bucks afterwards to have an awesome quality memory of the night.

Archived