I was joking. The point is you can't even make the argument that they played "rare" songs here at all. Bliss + CE are not rarities anywhere else but the U.S.

:facepalm: Sorry about that. Let my ranting take the best of me. Lol. And I agree with the last statement. It's like the biggest treat you can expect from them to either get Bliss or CE now a days. :/

Ok, I may be starting more :srsb33f: but after rereading the article, I think maybe Dom's words may have been taken out of context. I know it says "Howard thinks" or whatever, but we don't know the rest of the conversation and how the statement was made. That is one thing about articles like this, you have to take with a grain of salt and think about the author's point of view. I don't FOR ONE SECOND think that Muse equates all Americans fans with Twilight or TR only. They know that there are some hardcore fans here, just like there is everywhere. Now, I'm not trying to get into a discussion about why the tour was the way it was, there are PLENTY of threads around here that cover that topic pretty extensively. But for purposes of this article, I think we should cut Dom some slack. I think the author was writing this for the Aussie audience and was trying to explain why an Aussie crowd would be better than a US crowd.

I'm liking the idea of this Muscle Museum talk....

Pretty sure its being taken out of context though. Sites like FasterLouder always try to drum up hype before a band tours to create some interest amongst fans. And it was more about the author trying to say that Australia is better than the US (which is true lol)

Muse are just getting on my last straw with this whole "catering to the newer fans" bs. I seriously believe that if they were to play rarer songs such as MM and Cave and what not in the states, they'd most likely get a huge reaction to it. How hard is it to switch out one of their lame songs such as GL or NSC or anything from Resistance at that fact and put in like, Showbiz, Micro Cuts, MM, or Dead Star? It seems like Muse are "babying" the US and are only wanting to make good impressions by playing the same setlist over and over and over again. What reason? I don't know. But it's rather ridiculous. I attended the 4 Southern California shows and got RBS, Bliss, 8 minutes of riffs (including Dead Star and Agitated) and MotP. I was one satisfied bitch, just by hearing each of those songs at least one night. That's all they have to do. Play ONE rare song each night and I think everyone would leave happy. I mean, they don't even play one song off of Showbiz anymore. It's sad. :noey: Australia, I hope that you guys get great setlists. I'm sure you will. Dead Star anyone?

I think most people don't really care about the setlist changes because people usually attend one gig and that's all that matters for them.

I think it's a good, honest interview. Yes, he's generalising about the US fans, there will be some die-hard fans in the US (like some of the boardies on here) but it is pretty factual about the US fanbase. Muse fans do tend to be very dedicated and it is great when we get the opportunity to hang out with the guys and great that they appreciate us.

I think it's a good, honest interview. Yes, he's generalising about the US fans, there will be some die-hard fans in the US (like some of the boardies on here) but it is pretty factual about the US fanbase. Muse fans do tend to be very dedicated and it is great when we get the opportunity to hang out with the guys and great that they appreciate us.

This. And I'm from the US and it didn't offend me at all. I mean I know and love their older stuff but that might not be the case for a lot of US fans IF they even know the band. I'm from an area where virtually no one knows who Muse is aside from a few people. :/

A nice interview, despite that awful generalization about US fans :indiff: I realize that maybe there's an argument for why they might play less rarities/older songs here, but playing the exact same setlist night after night is just ridiculous. Like others have said, even ONE rarity a night would be an imporovement.

I mean, I got CE at my show and I was totally over-the-moon because it had gotten to the point where I honestly believed I would never ever hear that song live unless I traveled abroad to see them. And then, a few days later, my friend from Wales mentioned that he'd have prefered to hear a different song on the setlist at the show he went to (LCCC) instead of CE because "CE is so overplayed here". :eek: I would kill to live in a world where CE is overplayed :indiff: It's so sad that we're always given the short end of the stick over here :noey: I hope the guys wise-up before their next tour in the US... but I'm doubtful...

(On a lighter note... poor Dom and his nervousness up on the tower :chuckle: I think that is adorable)

so much fail in such a short article.... :noey:

As soon as I read the author's apparent lack of recognition of (and apparent refusal to except) the difference between an arena gig (~20K people) and a stadium (~80K people), I knew it was going to be a doozey....

About the whole "do US fans know the old stuff" argument.... Muse apparently used to think we do. They played Sunburn at MSG and Bliss as the Patriot Center in '07. They played both of those venues again this year with nothing "special" or "rare" added. So, apparently, US fans, or at least those in NY and DC, knew those songs 3 yrs ago but have since randomly forgotten them...

I said this a while ago in some other thread, but I'll say it again:

I will not be surprised at all if Matt has magically found his lost pedal in time for the Australian tour. How very convenient.

+1.

Vintage Bellamy.

Funny how he says that people are either diehard fan or hate them. But when they play gigs they think only casual people attend :LOL:

I have a feeling someone from the band or at least close to them has been reading the board...

so much fail in such a short article.... :noey:

As soon as I read the author's apparent lack of recognition of (and apparent refusal to except) the difference between an arena gig (~20K people) and a stadium (~80K people), I knew it was going to be a doozey....

About the whole "do US fans know the old stuff" argument.... Muse apparently used to think we do. They played Sunburn at MSG and Bliss as the Patriot Center in '07. They played both of those venues again this year with nothing "special" or "rare" added. So, apparently, US fans, or at least those in NY and DC, knew those songs 3 yrs ago but have since randomly forgotten them...

Not to mention, when they were in the States in 2005 they played new songs like Exo-politics and Assassin: both premiered in Florida!!!

Not to mention, when they were in the States in 2005 they played new songs like Exo-politics and Assassin: both premiered in Florida!!!

And now, they don't even play shows in Fla. :LOL:

*sorry Florida peeps. :(

:'( :'( I'm still paying for my road trip to see them.

As annoying as that US crap is (MM is my favorite song :fear:) I really hope it was more the writer than Dom...

Does it really matter if a crowd doesn't sing along to a couple of songs? If I were a casual fan, I wouldn't expect to know all the material.

But the clapalongs?! And the singalongs?! What's the point in playing songs if people aren't participating?!

It's sad to see that this is the way Muse are approaching their shows. Fucking idiots.

But the clapalongs?! And the singalongs?! What's the point in playing songs if people aren't participating?!

Do you really think they'd get more participation from the crowds at arena shows if they played Dead Star? Sure, the diehards would be ecstatic, but I bet at least half the crowd would be scratching their head. That doesn't mean I don't think they should play it. I agree that they should play older stuff even if some people don't know the songs.

I'm guessing that maybe your question is what Muse is asking themselves when they plan the setlists. What will people be most likely to respond to and participate in? Oh yeah, Feeling Good! Starlight! SMBH!

I'm not trying to argue again. I've made my point already, but I'm a bit drunk now.

Do you really think they'd get more participation from the crowds at arena shows if they played Dead Star? Sure, the diehards would be ecstatic, but I bet at least half the crowd would be scratching their head. That doesn't mean I don't think they should play it. I agree that they should play older stuff even if some people don't know the songs.

I'm guessing that maybe your question is what Muse is asking themselves when they plan the setlists. What will people be most likely to respond to and participate in? Oh yeah, Feeling Good! Starlight! SMBH!

I'm not trying to argue again. I've made my point already, but I'm a bit drunk now.

My point is more that if you don't play some older songs every now and then, of course people aren't going to know them. Not everyone takes the time to catch up on a band's back catalogue. Also, it couldn't possibly harm them in any way to play something like Dead Star or even Muscle Museum, people would no doubt get into it really fast.

For instance, before Wembley, I had never heard any of Biffy Clyro's songs. As soon as they started playing, I got into all their songs fairly quickly. I don't see why Muse would be an exception to this.

Maybe Muse simply don't care about the old songs as much as diehard fans do? They wrote them 10-7 years ago and played them lots at the time, their whole sound has changed a lot since then.

And honestly, just about every artist/band I've seen favours newer material over older one, especially when they've been around for a while, and most of them only play the most popular old tracks.

Maybe Muse simply don't care about the old songs as much as diehard fans do? They wrote them 10-7 years ago and played them lots at the time, their whole sound has changed a lot since then.

They obviously care enough to play them in places that aren't Europe or the U.S.

Odd, isn't it?

Archived