Thoughts on Thoughts of a Dying Atheist.

harryfronman

there are non-theistic religions that believe in an afterlife. maybe a person found buddhism so they believe that they will not go to hell but are scared because they have lived a bad life and will be reincarnated as a poor woman.

what's irritating is that Atheism is such an umbrella term which I always referred to as meaning total rejection of theism... turns out I was wrong

Atheism, as a philosophical view, is the position that either affirms the nonexistence of gods or rejects theism... atheism is often equated with irreligion... Many self-described atheists are skeptical of all supernatural beings and cite a lack of empirical evidence for the existence of deities. Others argue for atheism on philosophical, social or historical grounds. Although many self-described atheists tend toward secular philosophies such as humanism and naturalism, there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.

Irreligion, irreligiousness, or nonreligion is an umbrella term which, depending on context, may be understood as referring to atheism, agnosticism, deism, skepticism, freethought, secular humanism or general secularism.

Irreligion has at least three related yet distinct meanings:

* absence of religion (either due to not having information about religion or to not believing in it)

* hostility to religion

* behaving in such a way that fails to live up to one's religious tenets

Although people classified as irreligious might not follow any religion, not all are necessarily without belief in the supernatural or in deities; such a person may be a non-religious or non-practicing theist. In particular, those who associate organized religion with negative qualities, but still hold spiritual beliefs, might describe themselves as irreligious.

I'm really lost now.... I'm not religious in any way.... but i do kinda believe in some kinda spiritual world and karma to a certain extent.... what does that make me??? :stunned::rolleyes:

I'm an atheist.

To me it means a lack of belief in any kind of god and absolutely no intentional interaction with a belief system/actual beliefs.

I don't believe in an afterlife either, or reincarnation, or any such concepts either. I don't believe in the idea of a soul or spirit that goes somewhere else once you die.

Etc etc etc.

/atheism.

TOADA is easily one of my favourite Muse songs, I just love everything about it :happy:. Matt's best solo to date as well.

TOADA is easily one of my favourite Muse songs, I just love everything about it :happy:. Matt's best solo to date as well.

I do like the solo, and the verses. But I hate the chorus. Its actually made me angry with Mr Bellamy that he did that chorus. So Overall the song is full of anger and negativity from me.

what's irritating is that Atheism is such an umbrella term which I always referred to as meaning total rejection of theism... turns out I was wrong

I'm really lost now.... I'm not religious in any way.... but i do kinda believe in some kinda spiritual world and karma to a certain extent.... what does that make me??? :stunned::rolleyes:

Agnostic perhaps?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I’ve found the thread that talk about thoughts of a dying atheist lyric.

First, this is my short opinion about atheist, life and death. If there really really a person who is an atheist, don’t believe in god and afterlife at all, so that person simply don’t scared about the death. But I doubt it, that the person who really really doesn’t believe in god at all in his/her heart or soul, were exist. In my opinion, all human even all the life, were born completed with the natural values of godness. Some just deny it. But, for me, we should not too afraid about the death, because we all must die. Soon or late, just wait for the time. All we should do to face the death is prepare our self as long as we breathe.

And my opinion about thoughts of a dying atheist lyrics;

Similar to my opinion above, simply that atheist don’t afraid to the death. But on the contrary, the subject of the song is afraid to the death maybe because he’s not an atheist. I think the point of the lyric simply like that.

• 3 weeks later...
I think its about an atheist thinking that there might be a hell so because he hasn't believed in God during his life, he thinks he might go to hell.

Simple as that. :rolleyes::)

I think its an expression for the fear of not knowing exactly where we go when we die being far scarier than any actualization of hell, therefore the fear of hell literally being scared out of him replaced by a fear of the unknown.

There could be irony in his words. But, it could also just be a generalization in the use of the word "hell". How many of us use a swear word in our general conversation, without really thinking about its origins or real meaning? It just slips in as part of the sentence. Maybe that was his intention.

• 8 months later...
Def one of Matt's best lyrics. I don't understand this perception that Matt can't write deep lyrics. So he doesn't try to be super-DEEP every single song, it just means he's not as pretentious as Thom Yorke. *rim shot*

that is true. this is one of my favorite songs on Absolution. i think his lyrics are pretty deep, just not all the time.

You mean you hope they don't enjoy their music. ;)

I hope so.

But it doesn't mean anything, what they love. When I heard, that Matt loves very much an EODM album, I thought that I had to listen to it. It was interesting for me, that I love everything that he writes, but what he loves is nothing for me.

Back to the topic: I'm with this opinion:

You know the old saying that on the deathbed everyone is a believer. I think that is what that line underlines. So in my opinion it is ironic but in another sense then how you interpreted it. But that is of course just my interpretation.

And at first listening, I didn't understand the lyrics (I'm not english) but I felt the irony. It was so interesting, I couldn't guess what's it all about. And when I came to understand the lyrics, I came to understand why this song is so special and genius.

• 4 weeks later...

"And the end is all I can see" implies that there is no afterlife, nothing beyond death. I'm not so sure using "it scares the hell out of me" is refering to the realm Hell itself. Saying "what the hell" or using it other ways doesn't have any religious weight anymore.

But it is a song about the afterlife, so there's good reason to suspect there might be something. I can't say I know what he means by all the lyrics.

I want to know who's in the room with him.

I think it is about someone that is about to die, and is afraid to be punished (with hell) since he didnt believe in god.

Or maybe he is just scared because he is going to die, and now there's absolutely nothing waiting for him.

Know what I mean ? :p

This song makes me think quite a lot about this subject :stunned:

maybe it's about fate...

the line "it scares the hell out of me" could be because we don't have any say about our fate, and "the end is all i can see" might be because there's no afterlife and death is the only place where fate's influence can't be felt...

if that is the case, i'm not sure whether he wants death or not...

what does everyone else think...?

Archived