Thoughts on Thoughts of a Dying Atheist.

harryfronman

I think its about an atheist thinking that there might be a hell so because he hasn't believed in God during his life, he thinks he might go to hell.

Simple as that. :rolleyes::)

Methinks that too. Makes sense and makes the song super intriguing. If it's like OP says and is instead a sort of mockery or whatever then it's still a cool song, just substantially less cool. ;)

One of the reasons I love this song so much is because it's so damn confusing.

No one really knows what he means by 'it scares the hell out of me' or 'the end is all i can see'.

But there are multiple ways you could go meaning-wise. You just kinda get to make up your own story to the song.

-shrugs-

"the end is all i can see" refers to someone who is seeing the light before they die, and they're scared because they're going to die.

• 10 months later...
So, i'm new to this board thing, so i'm not sure if this opinion has been posted or not. Anyways...

I was listening to Thoughts of a Dying Atheist the other day, and I had a revelation about the potential meaning of the lyrics. On first listen, it appears that the character of the song, whom i assume is an atheist, is afraid of thinking about death. However, after hearing the song about a hundred times, I finally realized the irony in the lyrics.

To express his fear, the atheist uses the term "It scares the hell out of me." Now, atheists, by definition, don't believe in an afterlife, therefore they don't believe in hell. Does this mean that, in fact, there is no fear at all, and that he uses the word "hell" as a mockery of people who believe in the afterlife? Or is this just an oversight by Matthew Bellamy, who is just trying to express actual fear?

What are your thoughts on "Thoughts of a Dying Atheist?"

You should have named the thread "Thoughts on a Dying Atheist"

• 1 year later...

Archived