Thoughts on Thoughts of a Dying Atheist.

harryfronman

So, i'm new to this board thing, so i'm not sure if this opinion has been posted or not. Anyways...

I was listening to Thoughts of a Dying Atheist the other day, and I had a revelation about the potential meaning of the lyrics. On first listen, it appears that the character of the song, whom i assume is an atheist, is afraid of thinking about death. However, after hearing the song about a hundred times, I finally realized the irony in the lyrics.

To express his fear, the atheist uses the term "It scares the hell out of me." Now, atheists, by definition, don't believe in an afterlife, therefore they don't believe in hell. Does this mean that, in fact, there is no fear at all, and that he uses the word "hell" as a mockery of people who believe in the afterlife? Or is this just an oversight by Matthew Bellamy, who is just trying to express actual fear?

What are your thoughts on "Thoughts of a Dying Atheist?"

you didn't get it, the person is thinking that the end is near and THERE MIGHT BE a hell and heaven, so he is scared because his whole life he has been sure there isn't a hell or heaven. :rolleyes: now that he is going to die, he can't do anything about it, because its too late.

Yeah, that's what i first got out of it. But if he isn't sure whether there is a hell or not, then saying that it "scares the hell out of" him, means he's not even sure if he is scared. He could have said "it scares the fuck out of me" or something more elegant, and not use the word "hell", or something related to religion. My question, i guess, is: was it a mistake to use the word hell, or is there some deeper meaning to his choice of words?

Yes it is irony the same as the lyrics in Fury "and we'll pray that there's no God" that is irony to the max they aren't very hard lyrics to understand to be honest, all the songs on Absolution represent something coming to an end, this "atheist" person whilst they are dying may be having second thoughts on how they have led their life and are beginning to regret it. But anyway are you saying whoever uses such terms questions thier religious beliefs? From "oh my god" to "what the hell?" to "Jesus Christ!"? Terms tend to have more than one set meaning

Anyway back to the song I don't really like it to be honest I just find the melody really irritating

To express his fear, the atheist uses the term "It scares the hell out of me." Now, atheists, by definition, don't believe in an afterlife, therefore they don't believe in hell. Does this mean that, in fact, there is no fear at all, and that he uses the word "hell" as a mockery of people who believe in the afterlife? Or is this just an oversight by Matthew Bellamy, who is just trying to express actual fear?

Matt is very fond of irony :yesey:

Megalomania too: "Paradise comes at a price that I am not prepared to pay" - i.e. heaven isn't worth sacrificing your life for.

He has spoken about TOADA lyrics before saying that they're about an athiest who's scared of death. When you are an atheist you have to come to terms with no life after death, just oblivion, which is a pretty scary concept. The line your talking about, for me, seems to indicate he believes this is why many people are religious - they are frightened of death.

(welcome to the board btw, best newbie thread i've seen in ages)

He wails in every song if you hadn't noticed :rolleyes:

Eerie whispers

Trapped beneath my pillow

You won't let me see

Your memories

And I know you're in this room

I'm sure I heard you sigh

Floating in between

Where our worlds collide

And I know the moment's near

And there's nothing we can do

Look through a faithless eye

Are you afraid to die?

I can name a lot worse.

I can name a lot worse.

Follow through

Make your dreams come true

Don't give up the fight

You will be all right

Cause there's no one like you

In the universe

Don't be afraid

What your mind conceives

You should make a stand

Stand up for what you believe

And tonight we can truly say

Together we're invincible

And during the struggle

They will pull us down

But please, please let's use this chance to

Turn things around

Do it on your own

Makes no difference to me

What you leave behind

What you choose to be

and whatever they say

Your soul's unbreakable

And during the struggle

They will pull us down

Turn things around

And during the struggle

They will pull us down

Please, please let's use this chance to

Turn things around

Follow through

Make your dreams come true

Don't give up the fight

You will be all right

Cause there's no one like you

In the universe

Don't be afraid

What your mind conceives

You should make a stand

Stand up for what you believe

And during the struggle

They will pull us down

Turn things around

Do it on your own

Makes no difference to me

What you leave behind

What you choose to be

and whatever they say

Your soul's unbreakable

And during the struggle

They will pull us down

Turn things around

And during the struggle

They will pull us down

Please, please let's use this chance to

Turn things around

Yeah, great isn't it? ;)

you didn't get it, the person is thinking that the end is near and THERE MIGHT BE a hell and heaven, so he is scared because his whole life he has been sure there isn't a hell or heaven. :rolleyes: now that he is going to die, he can't do anything about it, because its too late.

Well that would make him Agnostic and not an Atheist :p

• 2 months later...

I was gonna say that

but then my friend and I are atheists but we have this joke that "what if we were wrong and then when the apocalypse comes jesus is like flying over everyone wicked-witch-of-the-west style cackling and pointing and laughing evil-y and we're just like "o, shit :$" and trudge down a staircase to hell"

Very offensive to one Christian we told, so it's pretty much still an atheist comment, because we're of course, taking the piss.

All I can say is it doesn't scare the hell outa me :) and I wouldn't count on coming across too many Christians on this forum, sure there'll be some... but i wouldn't know how many.

*starts to spin wildly off topic*

Good lyrics anyway.

haha. im christian. and i am completely obsessed with muse

just because you believe in one thing doesnt mean that you cant like or admire people that have a different set of beliefs. i have nothing against matthew bellamy and think TOAD is one of muse's greatest songs to date.

Christians are all good.....as with all religious people.... except when they try to influence other, non religious people :p

exactly. you dont want to hear us try to convince you, and i dont want to hear you try to convince me

so all in all....Muse > religion :D

Archived