Thoughts on Thoughts of a Dying Atheist.

harryfronman

Back on topic (I don't quite know if this is a correct reply):

"It scares the hell out of me" for me is just an expression for being very scared, ie it could've been "it scares me a lot!"...

But yeah, now that you mention it, there is some irony there. :p

Back on topic (I don't quite know if this is a correct reply):

"It scares the hell out of me" for me is just an expression for being very scared, ie it could've been "it scares me a lot!"...

But yeah, now that you mention it, there is some irony there. :p

I'm ashamed to say that I didn't even notice the irony until i came to this thread. It's such a cliche term that i basically ignored it :stunned:

No, see you missed my point. It's not as simple as that, because an atheist can't be scared the hell out of something, because, to atheists, there is no hell. Which makes the lyrics complicated, not simple. Nice try, though. Any other thoughts, perhaps more constructive?

To atheists, there is no anything, and when the end comes, it is the end, and there's no chance for life to go on in heaven or hell or anywhere else. So, basically, realizing that could make him feel scared.

No, see you missed my point. It's not as simple as that, because an atheist can't be scared the hell out of something, because, to atheists, there is no hell. Which makes the lyrics complicated, not simple. Nice try, though. Any other thoughts, perhaps more constructive?

To say something "scares the hell out of you" is an expression. Plenty of people use it, atheists included, I'm sure.

Follow through

Make your dreams come true

Don't give up the fight

You will be all right

Cause there's no one like you

In the universe

Don't be afraid

What your mind conceives

You should make a stand

Stand up for what you believe

And tonight we can truly say

Together we're invincible

And during the struggle

They will pull us down

But please, please let's use this chance to

Turn things around

Do it on your own

Makes no difference to me

What you leave behind

What you choose to be

and whatever they say

Your soul's unbreakable

And during the struggle

They will pull us down

But please, please let's use this chance to

Turn things around

And during the struggle

They will pull us down

Please, please let's use this chance to

Turn things around

:LOL: Now we really are tuning into Atease. Wheey.

So, i'm new to this board thing, so i'm not sure if this opinion has been posted or not. Anyways...

I was listening to Thoughts of a Dying Atheist the other day, and I had a revelation about the potential meaning of the lyrics. On first listen, it appears that the character of the song, whom i assume is an atheist, is afraid of thinking about death. However, after hearing the song about a hundred times, I finally realized the irony in the lyrics.

To express his fear, the atheist uses the term "It scares the hell out of me." Now, atheists, by definition, don't believe in an afterlife, therefore they don't believe in hell. Does this mean that, in fact, there is no fear at all, and that he uses the word "hell" as a mockery of people who believe in the afterlife? Or is this just an oversight by Matthew Bellamy, who is just trying to express actual fear?

What are your thoughts on "Thoughts of a Dying Atheist?"

You know the old saying that on the deathbed everyone is a believer. I think that is what that line underlines. So in my opinion it is ironic but in another sense then how you interpreted it. But that is of course just my interpretation.

In my opinion Matt was aware of the irony of TOADA....that lyric made me realise that I have to live life, you know carpe diem and so on, because I don't believe in afterlife!!!and also that I won't have to chance to meet the people I love after they die...it's weird because I knew I'm an atheist but I hadn't realised that I have a pessimistic vision of death until I heard that song!!!and I was quite shocked because I'm always optimistic!!! I'm a little stupid...:)

but at least there's a group who make people think while enjoying their music....and that's good!!

Anyone think Teenagers by MCR is something of an homage to Muse and this song in particular?

Muse: 'It scares the hell out of me'

MCR: 'Teenagers, they scare the shit out of me'

Seems logical to me, both bands are friends and MCR are known to be huge Muse fans, even if Muse don't necessarily reciprocate this to the same degree.

Anyone think Teenagers by MCR is something of an homage to Muse and this song in particular?

Muse: 'It scares the hell out of me'

MCR: 'Teenagers, they scare the shit out of me'

Seems logical to me, both bands are friends and MCR are known to be huge Muse fans, even if Muse don't necessarily reciprocate this to the same degree.

lol...

no i don't think so...

and yea Bob [the drummer from mcr] loves Muse :happy:

i think muse respect them but probably don't enjoy their music...

You mean you hope they don't enjoy their music. ;)

well to be honest i don't think it makes a difference if they like their music or not...but i get the vibe they don't b/c they never mentioned it when they were touring w/ them while mcr on the other hand have said they like Muse's music...and that interview they had on that radio show...where matt expressed that he will be taking mcr fans "to a higher level"...lol...kind of seals it for me that they aren't really into their music...

Here's my interpretation, as of October 3rd, 2004:

thOUghts_Of_A_dyIng_AthEIst_by_Fayth_in_flyght.jpg

Artist's Comments

*~,,~*~,,~*~,,~*~,,~*~,,~*~,,~*~,,~*~,,~ *~,,~*~,,~*~,,~*~,,~

Eerie whispers trapped beneath my pillow

Won't let me sleep, your memories

And I know you're in this room, I'm sure I heard you sigh

Floating in between, where our worlds collide

And it scares the Hell outta me

And the end is all I can see

I know the moment's near, and there's nothing you can say

Look through a faithless eye, are you afraid to die?

Thoughts of a dying Atheist By Muse, my fav band ^_^

*~,,~*~,,~*~,,~*~,,~*~,,~*~,,~*~,,~*~,,~ *~,,~*~,,~*~,,~*~,,~

While listening to this song, I gradually built up an image of someone in a cold, dark room, feeling scared and alone. I imagined bare, damp, dirty walls and a bed that would appear to want to be comfortable but failing miserably. I thought of how this song portrays how if an Atheist becomes scared of what they don't beleive in, they would still turn away from the light, the open window, and would never let faith wash away their lonliness, in the rainwater. This person eventually mutated into a girl who, despite having almost angelic looks, with her blonde hair and blue eyes, and having smart, clean clothes, looks and no doubt feels alone and frightened. Insecure and lost, she clings to her school tie, the only thing in the world that makes her feels like she is part of something.

Of course, she isn't alone.

She heard the eerie whispers.

She heard them sigh.

But can you see them floating inbetween, where our worlds collide?

Ripped right from my DA account :D Be nice, I was 15 when I wrote that :rolleyes:

i know this is late, but whatever.

in my eyes an Atheist is afraid of death because they HAVE nothing to look forward to - they believe we just rot in a coffin and thats it, as opposed to someone who does believe in an afterlife.

i think it is evident in this part:

Look through a faithless eye

Are you afraid to die?

i know this is late, but whatever.

in my eyes an Atheist is afraid of death because they HAVE nothing to look forward to - they believe we just rot in a coffin and thats it, as opposed to someone who does believe in an afterlife.

i think it is evident in this part:

Look through a faithless eye

Are you afraid to die?

Well i am an atheist but i believe in afterlife so you can't say that ALL atheits don't believe in an afterlife. But in general i think the song is about living your life all the way every second cause in the end noone knows what is gonna happen afterwards. But it also says something about basic human nature and that i think is underlined with the in my opinion very ironic line "It scares the hell out of me"

Well i am an atheist but i believe in afterlife so you can't say that ALL atheits don't believe in an afterlife. But in general i think the song is about living your life all the way every second cause in the end noone knows what is gonna happen afterwards. But it also says something about basic human nature and that i think is underlined with the in my opinion very ironic line "It scares the hell out of me"

i didnt say ALL Atheists were afraid of death, or dont believe in an afterlife.

Matt is an Atheist, everyone can argue with me all they want, but he is and i have seen him say it in an interview on youtube. and yes, he has said that he does not believe in an afterlife. if i can find the interview i will post it, its from 2004 because i know people here arent going to believe me,

i didnt say ALL Atheists were afraid of death, or dont believe in an afterlife.

Matt is an Atheist, everyone can argue with me all they want, but he is and i have seen him say it in an interview on youtube. and yes, he has said that he does not believe in an afterlife. if i can find the interview i will post it, its from 2004 because i know people here arent going to believe me,

You don't have to go to the trouble and finding it. It just sounded generalizing to me that's all so i wanted to point that out. But if we have to argue on something let it be the lyrics instead that is a bit more interesting.

You don't have to go to the trouble and finding it. It just sounded generalizing to me that's all so i wanted to point that out. But if we have to argue on something let it be the lyrics instead that is a bit more interesting.

that is true, but you know how people get... seeing is believing.

but like i said, i didnt say all Atheists, maybe i should have made myself sound a bit more clearer.

sorry if i offended you in anyway.

Archived