I don't, just commented as Ross brought him up and he's someone I've seen live.

The thing is though, he ticks all the "boxes" as it were that best live act covers, engaging, immensely talented, unique (ish, there are others who do something very similar, but not on that scale), and fantastic live, not to mention fearless live as well - to pull out Bohemian Rhapsody, on your own, at the main stage at T in the park and absolutely nail it requires a bit of talent and a whole load of guts, which in comparison to Muse's recent sterile efforts, makes him more worthy of it.

Well since it's a Muse board, it's inevitable that any other band needs to measure up to Muse in order to be good enough for a vote instead of Muse.

Just because it's a muse board, doesn't mean other artist and bands who you can't really compare anything musical with have to be compared with muse.

The thing is though, he ticks all the "boxes" as it were that best live act covers, engaging, immensely talented, unique (ish, there are others who do something very similar, but not on that scale), and fantastic live, not to mention fearless live as well - to pull out Bohemian Rhapsody, on your own, at the main stage at T in the park and absolutely nail it requires a bit of talent and a whole load of guts, which in comparison to Muse's recent sterile efforts, makes him more worthy of it.

When I saw him, his last act before leaving the stage was to get the whole crowd singing along to Spongebob Squarepants :LOL:

No honestly I've seen him do Bohemian Rhapsody. It was okay. It was a bit of a laugh, that's all, not that impressive. I didn't think he was that great, more an entertainer than a great musician, in my opinion. I don't know what this "ticking boxes" is about. It's not about ticking boxes it's about providing an excillarating (?spell) experience in my book. Ticking boxes reads like answering a survey.

When I saw him, his last act before leaving the stage was to get the whole crowd singing along to Spongebob Squarepants :LOL:

the man is a legend, At T, during Gone in the morning, he got everyone jumping by doing the following before the last chorus

Newton: "Right, That was decent. that was almost... polite. Do you want to be polite?"

Crowd: *Noise*

Newton: "I want to do it again, and if you would humour me, I want you to imagine, the we are pirates! Pirates! with RABIES! and we're 20 feet from shore, before our battle with the barbarians! 15 FEET! 10 FEET! SHORE! and we don't LIKE the barbarians very much. Do you know WHY!? Because they KISSED YOUR MOTHER! Yes, they are a bunch of MOTHER KISSERS! One thing they hate though, is jumping, so lets REALLY piss them off!"

I was in stitches:LOL:

No honestly I've seen him do Bohemian Rhapsody. It was okay. It was a bit of a laugh, that's all, not that impressive. I didn't think he was that great, more an entertainer than a great musician, in my opinion. I don't know what this "ticking boxes" is about. It's not about ticking boxes it's about providing an excillarating (?spell) experience in my book. Ticking boxes reads like answering a survey.

You're saying Newton isn't a great musician, and that Muse ARE in comparison? Forgive me while I laugh.

Just because it's a muse board, doesn't mean other artist and bands who you can't really compare anything musical with have to be compared with muse.

Ah but this is the Muse section. I agree that in the other music section, other bands don't need to be compared to Muse, but this directly relates to people deciding to deliberately cast their votes elsewhere and making a point of stating that.

Ah but this is the Muse section. I agree that in the other music section, other bands don't need to be compared to Muse, but this directly relates to people deciding to deliberately cast their votes elsewhere and making a point of stating that.

In all fairness this thread should probably not be in the Muse section of the board, given that the article linked to gives no mention of Muse.

You're saying Newton isn't a great musician, and that Muse ARE in comparison? Forgive me while I laugh.

:LOL: No forgive me! Come on! :LOL:

You know it gets very suspicious this escallation of other artists in order to spite Muse. ;) Nobody can argue with the fact that they're great musicians, honestly!

You know it gets very suspicious this escallation of other artists in order to spite Muse. ;) Nobody can argue with the fact that they're great musicians, honestly!

I'm not saying that they're not, but Newton Faulkner -as a musician- is head and shoulders above them. Whether people like him more or not is a preferential thing, but to say Muse are better musicians isn't even a matter of opinion, it's just wrong

I'm not saying that they're not, but Newton Faulkner -as a musician- is head and shoulders above them. Whether people like him more or not is a preferential thing, but to say Muse are better musicians isn't even a matter of opinion, it's just wrong

Sorry but that is bollocks imo. Just because you like him doesn't mean he's better.

People are not voting for other artists to spite Muse. From the posts I have read here people are voting for the artists they judge apt for those nominations and they happened not to be Muse.

For example, best track: do I think Resistance or NSC are the best tracks I have heard this year? No, hence why I am not voting for them.

Best video: do I think Resistance or NSC are the best videos I have seen this year? No, hence why I am not voting for them.

Best Live Act: were they the best live act. No they were too inconsistent.

They maybe great musicians but based on what they've done / released this year I have seen/heard better for 2010.

EDIT: as ste mentioned those are open nominations and nowhere does it ask you to actually vote for Muse.

Sorry but that is bollocks imo. Just because you like him doesn't mean he's better.

I like muse as well - just because I'm critical of them, doesn't mean I dislike them, but when you look at music on a technical level, then there is no comparison. Lyrics, never matt's strong point, even at their creative peak. Music, meh, not really, Matt has his moments, but they're few and far between (B&H solo, Piano thing, both of which allows Matt to concentrate TOTALLY on his playing), whereas Newton has - and maintains that complexity while dividing his attention between his playing and his singing. There's NO comparison

I like muse as well - just because I'm critical of them, doesn't mean I dislike them, but when you look at music on a technical level, then there is no comparison. Lyrics, never matt's strong point, even at their creative peak. Music, meh, not really, Matt has his moments, but they're few and far between (B&H solo, Piano thing, both of which allows Matt to concentrate TOTALLY on his playing), whereas Newton has - and maintains that complexity while dividing his attention between his playing and his singing. There's NO comparison

Not to mention that as a live performer he engages the crowd far more successfully than Muse ever could.

Just because you like Muse doesn't make them better.

I'm not a huge fan of Newton but I can appreciate what he does. I also appreciate the talent that each member of Muse have. Being musically talented doesn't immediately make something great, it's all about how individiuals recieve that talent and how it impacts on them.

Personally out of all the awards that Muse are eligible for, I wouldn't nominate them for any of them, not because I think they're shit and lack talent, I just really don't feel they've applied it enough to warrant the latter two awards (their videos and single releases have been shocking this year leaving best act and live act). Feasibly I could have put them up for best act, The Resistance isn't all bad, the second half is quite impressive but there were just a couple of other bands that have had a better all round package.

Oh honestly I can't be bothered to argue! :LOL: Think what you like! Kids today! :p Yawn! ;)

Just because you like Muse doesn't make them better.

I'm not a huge fan of Newton but I can appreciate what he does. I also appreciate the talent that each member of Muse have. Being musically talented doesn't immediately make something great, it's all about how individiuals recieve that talent and how it impacts on them.

Personally out of all the awards that Muse are eligible for, I wouldn't nominate them for any of them, not because I think they're shit and lack talent, I just really don't feel they've applied it enough to warrant the latter two awards (their videos and single releases have been shocking this year leaving best act and live act). Feasibly I could have put them up for best act, The Resistance isn't all bad, the second half is quite impressive but there were just a couple of other bands that have had a better all round package.

+1 Nothing more to put. I just don't think they deserve any of the awards as much as other artists.

Oh honestly I can't be bothered to argue! :LOL: Think what you like!

Oh no, please, carry on. as I said, I'm not making points with regards to preference, but to actual assessable parts of the music, so if you see flaws, please, feel free to refute them, or is the prospect of actual debate without references to "Yeah, but I like them more :phu:" outside your remit?

As I've said before, voting in polls like this is subjective. Whether someone is technically better than another is irrelevant. Vote for what you enjoy. That's the point.

As I've said before' date=' voting in polls like this is subjective. Whether someone is technically better than another is irrelevant. Vote for what you enjoy. That's the point.[/quote']

And I agree, but that was in reference to Carrie specifically saying that newton was "more an entertainer than a great musician." which was a refence to ability, which is much less subjective

Newton Faulker is an entertainer first and foremost, from my experience of him. By Ross's own admission he's got the whole audience to sing along to Spongebob Squarepants. That according to Ross puts him on some kind of pedestal. When I saw him, he was getting half the audience to sing one thing the other half another, like at a pantomine. If that's what floats your boat, fair enough, but it's not what floats mine. :) I'm not denying he has talent but personally, for me, there's no way that he touched Muse.:)

Archived