The Grace of the Wrath

TheDeliverance.

Did you ever ask yourself why you are so addicted to Muse’s sound? ...Well, I don’t pretend to hold the Truly Truth… Just an explanation, for what it's worth... Then, we might tend to consider to what extent Muse offers a path to deal with inner contradictions and heritage…

Instinctively, heavy rock enhanced by lyrics such as ”let your hatred grow”“It's bugging me grating me and twisting me around” “Stretch it like it’s a birth squeeze”...or “and I’ll burn your heart away”…resonate with aggressive drives; turned to the inner self (Dark Shines, Megalomania, etc ) or projected on the outside (City of Delusion, Take a Bow i.e.). But Muse’s sound cannot be reduced to mere rhythm & echo that provides an adrenaline kick of the first order….

Combined to love themes (Endlessly, Hoodoo, Starlight, etc ), classical & tender harmonies (Butterflies & Hurricanes, Unintended, etc) as well as to Matthew Bellamy’s sensual phrasing, this very special sound seems to lead out of shame: making drives bright, then acceptable (….“you may be a sinner but your innocence is mine”…), it is as if this music pointed out that primary instincts are but vital energy to be sculpted. Thus, Muse might enjoin to exhibit our darkness whilst drawing into beauty ….the pure & tender one that echoes with the best in us: our ability to love.

“Smoothing, I’ll make you feel pure”: everything is there!

In a local perspective the “bipolar” nature of their music might also explain some of their huge (and early) success in France. It is strange how it fits with the French duality: Rebellious nature symbolized by the Revolution and somehow by the Resistance (… some of my compatriots will certainly protest out loud :LOL:!) & Romanticism that validates emotions as an authentic source of aesthetic experience (… those of the board who once talked about Beaudelaire will probably agree). Well, I guess you might find the same ambivalence towards your own culture… For, individual patterns harbor the collective unconscious via personal, social and political acts (the more minded we are the more we interact with political stuffs; more sensitive we resonate with emotional values, etc, etc). Knights of Cydonia vs Neutron Star Collision;)

We could draw the same “Flower of the Evil parallel” at spiritual level and talk about ancient Solfeggio Harmonics as a “smoothing tool” that interacts with the frequency spread by the audience but it would make this post too long.

What drives our drives then when live music is over? Some of us refer to a sort of post-gig depressive syndrome…

The gig ended, no further opportunity remains to deal with our drives that are now projected via the board: the setlist was bullshit, the next album should definitely not be spoiled with S**** such as ……... (feel free to fill the blank space :happy:), Matt deserves much more than a bimbo (… won’t say who wrote that :LOL:….fortunately Chris is a front stage good-father & Dom has not yet found the one otherwise it’s a safe bate that they would face the same grievance), etc, etc…. Regardless, their sound keeps on sounding from a country to another: “I want to exorcise the violence in your heart”

In the mirror Muse remains a good therapist we should probably take more advantage from (as said before: http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=75893). JFK would have encouraged not asking what Muse can do for us but what we can do for ourselves. Then between two gigs or two albums we could experiment the grace of welcoming inner uncomfortable feelings in order to tone them down. This is probably a minimum we could do for each others….. for, let’s remember it, (all) together we’re invincible!

Wow, you are amazing…. So young and so aware! More sensitive & creative than previous age groups, you sound like a generation able to defeat mind-control….

Thanks to people like you I’ am afraid that we might keep on graying over 2012… :LOL:

and I have to be immature for a moment:

it looks like it says bum.

:LOL: …. Life, Love & Laugh! ....A child’s heart helps to keeps self-sufficiency away don’t you think?

The Deliverance wins at life. ;)

Well, daily immersed into the meaningless world of big company life, it is sometimes difficult to keep on breathing the toxic frequency spread by suspicious/ambitious minds. When you feel others' wavelengths & feelings, whatever they are, it can be hard to reignite a wavering light day after day. But a “special connection” worth it…. and Muse’s sound helps a great deal.:)

btw... is the title supposed to be wordplay on The Grapes of Wrath or am is it just me? :unsure:

Definitely, yes Tofu. The title of the novel itself refers to a biblical passage (“And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God”… apocalyptic appeal to divine justice & deliverance from oppression). This novel depicts the Great Depression focusing on poor farmers in search of dignity. As far as I remember, it’s pretty hopeless… which is not the purpose of this thread.;)

Wow, you are amazing…. So young and so aware! More sensitive & creative than previous age groups, you sound like a generation able to defeat mind-control….

Thanks to people like you I’ am afraid that we might keep on graying over 2012… :LOL:

hopefully we can be that generation. ;)

and excuse my ignorance.. but what do you mean by "graying over 2010"? :$

:)

:stunned: yes, that is why i listen to muse... there is meaning in the music

its not mindless, never, even in songs without lyrics... there is always a theme and you can feel pain, anger, betrayal, hope, even happiness.

i am not nearly (or doubt i will ever be) as eloquent as you, but i'd like to say that i started to immerse myself in Muse because there are a lot of emotions/frustrations/feelings (whoa corny :chuckle:) that i have had/felt that I am able to hear through Muse's songs...

So much of my existence is hiding my feelings, which is what my religion dictates, so listening to Muse is sort of a release for me

also, there are songs that I don't personally feel emotions to match, but I feel that those songs give me a new perspective and additional knowledge

anyway /useless rant

actually i take those last two words back, because even if you are kidding, things you say about yourself are actually convincing your subconscious that they are true (this is what an older gentleman told me after i joked and said "im a loser, im not married yet")

.. what do you mean by "graying over 2010"?
I meant “turning grey” (or "gray" as said in the US)… :D

Though through your excitement it was pretty hard to read...

Sorry for the hardness. Writing in a foreign language is demanding for no mother (or father….then, social experience) told you how colloquial or literary a word is; same with grammatical forms. So you do your best to do justice to old English teachers (…well, as much as possible! :LOL:)…. and play with the rhythm & musicality of words like you would do in your own language… like music indeed… except that you never really know whether it resonates like Radiohead or Robbie Williams (….both with R for “resonance” of course :facepalm:).

So, I feel a bit surprised after reading raves above (almost embarrassed…). Well, thank you.

:stunned: yes, that is why i listen to muse... there is meaning in the music

its not mindless, never, even in songs without lyrics... there is always a theme and you can feel pain, anger, betrayal, hope, even happiness.

i am not nearly (or doubt i will ever be) as eloquent as you, but i'd like to say that i started to immerse myself in Muse because there are a lot of emotions/frustrations/feelings (whoa corny :chuckle:) that i have had/felt that I am able to hear through Muse's songs...

So much of my existence is hiding my feelings, which is what my religion dictates, so listening to Muse is sort of a release for me

also, there are songs that I don't personally feel emotions to match, but I feel that those songs give me a new perspective and additional knowledge

anyway /useless rant

actually i take those last two words back, because even if you are kidding, things you say about yourself are actually convincing your subconscious that they are true (this is what an older gentleman told me after i joked and said "im a loser, im not married yet")

What you say is very interesting and far from being corny. Words seem to have their own vibration the subconscious mind receives as a “magnetic” flux. Whether true or not, is not the point. It is like computing: the data is processed whatever it is (see hypnosis). Your joke is hilarious but if not sending (your subconscious) opposite thoughts you might end up feeling dumb for being single (Murphy’s Law… ).

Did you ever hear about Dr Emoto's experiment? (those interested will find some about it as well as many arousing questionings on psychology, neurology, quantum, etc in What the Bleep do we know? http://www.whatthebleep.com/). To sum up, he drew the conclusion that water can be influenced mentally… this water we are made of which is highly conductive. I could hardly explain it for I am not a scientist but as a person “able to” feel people’s thoughts, emotions and physical hurts, my belief is that they could be chemical (re)actions taking shape of an electric signal (=carried by electromagnetic waves/photons; once again, I don’t pretend to hold the truth but cannot deny how places full of EM activity make me feel as attacked by a bee swarm!...).

Anyway, what you say about songs without lyrics is pretty interesting too. Sound as a wave might be a quite powerful part of our everyday sensory experience. It could be compared to an electrical stimulation that affects the amplitude and frequency of our brainwaves. There would be a lot to say about alpha & theta brainwaves that allow this release you are talking about*. They are said stimulated by some classical music harmonies (I could be wrong but feel that Matthew Bellamy's high vocals provide the same effect). Btw, Dr Galina Mindlin who turned brains’ waves into music says they sound like piano (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100609122832.htm). Classical music, high harmonies, piano…..some of Muse’s print?

Should Dr Emoto be right, music & sound create more than emotional reactions. At a time I was working in the show business I used to stand backstage in order to feel the vibration coming from the audience at gig's intro. Believe me, all these thoughts & emotions carried by the clamour are of the most blowing effect ever! It is like a dense wave, almost palpable, you can feel physically (like a warm strong wind). Not only screams you hear, but a vibration toned by feelings and intentions that interacts with your body.

Thus, it could also be that Muse prints chemical shapes on us via their own frequency: vibration of words & intentions “carried” by their sound(s). A frequency that shakes smoothly in order to heal people.... for they seem to compose and perform with the intention of spreading beautiful words & music that ease people's freedom, in order to make this world a better place to live…. In a certain way, Muse proposes a new kind of religion for that’s what religions use to be (from Latin “religere” = to link to): a link to ourselves that links to the totality but sets us free.

It's time to go back to music now. So let's get our DNA, MUSically encoded again! :LOL:.

*alpha brainwaves (around 9 to 14 Hz ) figure non-arousal. They are slower and higher in amplitude than Beta waves, characteristics of a strongly engaged mind (a person who relaxes or takes a break in nature is mainly in an alpha state). Theta brainwaves (around 4 to 8 Hz), observed in the hippocampus, allow to access the subconscious mind. They drive to deep meditation and foster theories about healing sound frequencies (Solfeggio Tones).

Archived