I don't think they'll break up but I think a 2-4 year break is to be expected in 2011/2012. They've pretty much been touring nonstop since 1999 and it must be taking it's toll in their personal lives. I know Matt has made a few comments recently on the effect touring can have on your relationship. I don't know many bands that tour as much as Muse and aim to cover as much territory. It would be a great shame if they broke up now as they are just on the brink of major success in the US. In many ways it feels like they have reached the peak of their career. Surely they can't get much bigger now.

If they go on a break I will be very interested to see if they do any side projects.

Day 2, already seeing this.

Maybe I've really overplayed?? :LOL:

I stopped listening to Muse for about 2 months awhile ago. It wasn't a concious decision, it just kind of happened as I had overplayed most of their songs. Then one day they came on shuffle and taking a break made them sound even better. :D

Uprising would probably be a lot more popular among the Muse fanbase if it wasn't the first single from The Resistance.

True. I love Uprising, it's a really good catchy upbeat song amongst a poor collection of recent singles. Not the best song on The Resistance but I can see why it's so popular with the casuals and like hearing it live.

I've noticed that the most played songs on The Resistance tour from the album are infact the first six songs on the track listing (except maybe Overture), and at Glasto they only played the first 5. Considering that the first 4 songs are either singles or given away for free, I'm beginning to think that Muse are assuming that those in attendence do not only not know anything from the first 4 albums bar the big singles and the HAARP songs, but also don't listen to The Resistance for very long to actually know the songs near the end of the album :LOL:

Uprising would probably be a lot more popular among the Muse fanbase if it wasn't the first single from The Resistance.

Actually I love this song live! Works so well with the crowd-participation bits and is so very easy to sing along to :yesey:

My girlfriends dad describe's Muse as 'samey'. Lulwut? The genre hopping band that is Muse?!? Okay, a couple may sound similar (New Born & Unnatural Selection) (TSP & TOADA). But to describe them as a 'samey' band is almost as ridiculous as saying they sound like Radiohead.

My girlfriends dad describe's Muse as 'samey'. Lulwut? The genre hopping band that is Muse?!? Okay, a couple may sound similar (New Born & Unnatural Selection) (TSP & TOADA). But to describe them as a 'samey' band is almost as ridiculous as saying they sound like Radiohead.

A lot of their singles are cut from the same cloth. The variation is in the album tracks, which aren't really getting promoted these days now they're big.

As for the Radiohead thing, I posted this on facebook a couple of days ago, may as well put it in here:

"Showbiz sounds a bit like The Bends and both bands held a similar place in the music industry by staying low and just making music and having huge fanbases without much media exposure. But by 2001 their musical similarities had gone and now Muse are leaning towards U2 and Queen and being all over the papers so its really not valid at all in the modern age"

I liked the loud synths, they helped with the wall-of-noise effect during the bridge that I adore on the studio version.

It sounded shit at the time, Muse's gigs always sound fantastic, Glasto on Saturday was appalling and by far the worst sounding band on the Pyramid stage over the weekend, good job for them the crowd was so up for it regardless!

I disagree with the tempo comment though - I've been quite vocal in saying that their early gigs had the wrong tempo (too fast, made some of the songs feel a bit artificial and rushed), but I thought 2004 was the year they started to get it right.

The tempo comments really annoy me. A band in front of a crowd, slightly nervous, possibly a bit out of it, always plays faster, unless they've got click track in their in-ears, which is artificial ;)

I prefered the songs played faster, sounded more intense. Though in 2003/04 they got their live sound pretty much spot on. Shame it deteriorated when they came back for the next album :(

I'm blaming matts choice in the sound he wanted. The Diezel driven guitar sound in 2004 was just awesome.

He's trying to be the Edge and even the Edge has a better tone than him!

:facepalm:

People complain that Guiding Light is cheesy when Bliss, highly rated on this forum for some reason, is just as cheesy.

But I understand that I'm part of a minority who dislikes the song. I don't really hate the song I just can't figure out why its rated so highly on this forum.

It sounded shit at the time, Muse's gigs always sound fantastic, Glasto on Saturday was appalling and by far the worst sounding band on the Pyramid stage over the weekend, good job for them the crowd was so up for it regardless!

The tempo comments really annoy me. A band in front of a crowd, slightly nervous, possibly a bit out of it, always plays faster, unless they've got click track in their in-ears, which is artificial ;)

I'm not saying they're the only band who does it, or there's no reason for it... Just some of the tempos from the early live stuff are really bad. Listen to Hullabaloo and tell me it's not bad.

People complain that Guiding Light is cheesy when Bliss, highly rated on this forum for some reason, is just as cheesy.

But I understand that I'm part of a minority who dislikes the song. I don't really hate the song I just can't figure out why its rated so highly on this forum.

Bliss has kinda cheesy lyrics but I think it's in the delivery that you don't notice them so much, that and the music is so much more interesting than Guiding Light. Early Muse = shit lyrics but interesting music.

Also, Bliss is far more up-tempo and better to groove to at gigs

I'm not saying they're the only band who does it, or there's no reason for it... Just some of the tempos from the early live stuff are really bad. Listen to Hullabaloo and tell me it's not bad.

It's a fucking live gig! :facepalm:

And no, it's not bad, because I doubt anyone there or the band themselves noticed it at the time. In fact, I've played 30-40mins sets in about 20mins because we'd have been playing so fast and not noticed until we would watch it back later, no one complained or mentioned it at the time.

Tempo is a relative thing, listen to some D&B or Breakcore, then watch Hullabaloo...

Edited by haze015

And no, it's not bad, because I doubt anyone there or the band themselves noticed it at the time. In fact, I've played 30-40mins sets in about 20mins because we'd have been playing so fast and not noticed until we would watch it back later.

I seem to remember a lot of the plaudits they got in the 2001-02 era was because of the really up-tempo nature of their gigs, even the Showbiz stuff had the bass turned up and played faster so it fit in with 'their sound' at the time

How the hell is Bliss on the same cheesy scale as Guiding Light? It's about someone who likes someone so much they basically want to tear them apart so they can have what they have to themselves. It's quite an angsty song

They always play with a click-track now, because of the lighting and screen effects. Which is a bitch because it leaves no room for any kind of changes at all. Everything they do these days has to be so choreographed to fit in with the stage show which makes it all boring.

Muse need to go back to playing with just basic lighting for a bit so they can rediscover that live "edge" they're missing at the moment.

How the hell is Bliss on the same cheesy scale as Guiding Light? It's about someone who likes someone so much they basically want to tear them apart so they can have what they have to themselves. It's quite an angsty song

Granted it's not as cheesy but it's definitely up there. Not only with the lyrics ( "They're watching you from above / I want the peace and joy in your mind." ) but how its delivered.

Like I said, I realise I'm in the minority in saying that its an album filler for songs such like Space Dementia, Citizen Erased, New Born, Micro Cuts... But I find it difficult to believe people rank Bliss to be amongst those stated above as the best Muse song.

And no, it's not bad, because I doubt anyone there or the band themselves noticed it at the time. In fact, I've played 30-40mins sets in about 20mins because we'd have been playing so fast and not noticed until we would watch it back later, no one complained or mentioned it at the time.

Tempo is a relative thing, listen to some D&B or Breakcore, then watch Hullabaloo...

I'm not that close-minded in music. I listen to alllll sorts of music, and I also play music. Tempo is a big deal to me personally, but you being in a band would have you thinking differently. But, the listener and the performer are going to feel differently, especially in a live recording after the fact.

No amount of arguing is going to make me think they had good tempo at Hullabaloo.

I'm not that close-minded in music. I listen to alllll sorts of music, and I also play music. Tempo is a big deal to me personally, but you being in a band would have you thinking differently. But, the listener and the performer are going to feel differently, especially in a live recording after the fact.

No amount of arguing is going to make me think they had good tempo at Hullabaloo.

Can I ask you exactly what you think is wrong with the tempo on Hullabaloo?

Can I ask you exactly what you think is wrong with the tempo on Hullabaloo?

I watched the DVD earlier and decided it's not as distracting when you're watching the performance itself. But just listening to it, while doing something else, it's distracting.

One example of this is Space Dementia, when Matt's playing the "intro" right before where the drums and then the vocals come in... It's ridiculously fast and you can hear the struggle between Dom and Matt, Matt rushing the crap out of it and Dom trying to pull it back in the eighth notes. It leaves the song feeling rushed and a little bit... empty? Agitated is also rushed, but that's a song that it actually works in, if you know what I mean. It's an angry song lol.

I think I'm distracted by it because I play some classical music and I'm in the marching band, so tempo is a focus. I'm not trying to really pick on it as much as I have been.

people complain that guiding light is cheesy when bliss, highly rated on this forum for some reason, is just as cheesy.

But i understand that i'm part of a minority who dislikes the song. I don't really hate the song i just can't figure out why its rated so highly on this forum.

THIS. Fucking this!!!!

It annoys me more that what it's worth to see matt not playing the intro to new born on piano.

I hate exo 1 live too. Such a let down to have the strings on play-back even with matt adding a little tremolo picking on top. They should just get rid of it until they can give all three parts justice with a live orchestra.