Think it was the main highlight of the latter stages of just about every set I've seen on this tour.

Can't agree. Imho Mercy was the deadwood between TAB (my personal highlight of the encore) and Knights. The red and white streamers were fun but they could have put them with another song.

That says it all about the tour, really.

No it doesn't. One person's opinion of a 'highlight' is all.

I just can't hate Mercy because it's been a highlight of their recent gigs. Even at Download it was a standout moment for me.

Yes it may not be Muse's greatest composition when compared with the rest of their catalogue, but live it's a beast.

Its not the best Muse song but its surprisingly peppy enough live. Granted the shitload of confetti helps, but it was much better live than I was anticipating. Whereas Starlight has gone backwards, and got outshone by Prelude, which in some ways is an achievement.

All music has a shelf life, especially that with the simple melodies of pop. Starlight is 10 years on now, been played live/or heard many many more times than Mercy.

I actually quite like Mercy now even though it is standard filler. The way Matt sings 'puppeteer' still grates on me a little. Other then that though it's not bad. It's just not that good either.

Of all the things, what's wrong with 'puppeteer'? :LOL:

All music has a shelf life, especially that with the simple melodies of pop. Starlight is 10 years on now, been played live/or heard many many more times than Mercy.

While true, I still enjoyed the other 4 Black Holes song done at the O2, even if Harmonica's overdone now. Starlight has Morgan on guitar, which sounds like it was turned down and lacking some oomph. That much is evident on Uprising, when Matt plays the second half of it on guitar and comes in with a much louder instrument, but on Starlight, it makes the song feel really empty.

Yeah I agree, I did too. The others are not 'poppy' in the way that Starlight is (and it has become more poppy) so they 'live' longer imo. Knights is an exceptional song, Assassin is not often played and is satisfyingly aggressively beefy, and TAB has all those key changes and that demonic build. :)

(You prob meant SMBH and Map?)

Yeah I agree, I did too. The others are not 'poppy' in the way that Starlight is (and it has become more poppy) so they 'live' longer imo. Knights is an exceptional song, Assassin is not often played and is satisfyingly aggressively beefy, and TAB has all those key changes and that demonic build. :)

(You prob meant SMBH and Map?)

The 5 we got on 12/04 were SMBH, Starlight, MOTP, Take a Bow and Knights.

At Brighton SMBH was one of the wooden spoon songs as they looked bored playing it (albeit not as much as Uprising), but at the O2, with the drones and a better-sounding guitar tone it was improved. MOTP is always awesome live, Take a Bow was great to hear (helped as I hadn't heard it live since Wembley 2010) and Knights is still a great tune live, if way too predictable last. But the poppy Starlight just felt a bit too lightweight.

I'm not sure if its just that Starlight is "poppy" - I may have come in after the more fun performances of 2006, but I've had decent fun with it live. Its just this version lacked oomph in the bass in the first place, and the missing or at least hard to hear guitar made it worse.

The 5 we got on 12/04 were SMBH, Starlight, MOTP, Take a Bow and Knights.

At Brighton SMBH was one of the wooden spoon songs as they looked bored playing it (albeit not as much as Uprising), but at the O2, with the drones and a better-sounding guitar tone it was improved.

I'm with you on this; at the two Psycho tour gigs I went to SMBH and Uprising were really lifeless. I thought it'd be good to see those songs in such small venues but they all looked so bored playing them. I'm sure the flurry of rarities prior didn't exactly help matters but still. Even though they never will, they should give Uprising a break every now and then.

I'm with you on this; at the two Psycho tour gigs I went to SMBH and Uprising were really lifeless. I thought it'd be good to see those songs in such small venues but they all looked so bored playing them. I'm sure the flurry of rarities prior didn't exactly help matters but still. Even though they never will, they should give Uprising a break every now and then.

Tbf, SMBH has improved since then. But yeah. It was very odd, not least given the long-standing likes of TIRO, Hysteria and Knights at that gig were great.

Yeah. Uprising being a big hit means it ain't going anywhere, but its one of those I could live without. Certain hits, I think I'd be cool with each time (TIRO and Knights, mainly), but some could definitely benefit from a rest. Plug in Baby is one, unless Matt strips down the FX pedals being used on that one.

Muse haven't really written a song that is 100% bad. It's more that they increasingly combine great ideas with generic, shitty ideas to make something with so much wasted potential that tne end result is jarring.

Yes. I'd put Madness into that category. First three minutes are awful but the last section is ace. Similarly Dead Inside is a dirge imo but the final build is powerful.

Nah Dead Inside is a great song imo. When I first heard it on it's radio debut I was thinking 'what the hell is this' but since then it's grown on me A LOT and one of my favourite songs off Drones, also of of my favourite of Muse's 'poppier' songs

The initial DEAD INSIDE took a while to get used to, but it's a great song and a highlight off Drones for me. I still think the high points of Madness (i.e the final third) are better, but Dead Inside is more consistently good all the way through. Both have brilliant vocal performances.

Yes I agree re vocal performances but Bellamy is a great vocalist and this is a major factor in the Muse sound overall, and one of the reasons I love Muse. Some songs do highlight his voice more than others of course. But DI sounds like a whingeing dirge to me. Except for the last section which ramps up the intensity out of the whinge zone into the passionate, and the emotion feels sincere and affecting. And his voice soars.

But that's just my personal response to it. :)

And Madness is just irritating. Except for last section, which is glorious.

I remember when it came out using Madness on a loop to help me sleep as I thought it was that boring. It improved a bit afterward but its still not even my favourite electronic moment on T2L (Follow Me and Unsustainable are better).

Dead Inside I remember first hearing through the speakers at the Brighton Dome. Sounded better live that evening - was skeptical at first but its a very decent listen.