Yeah, voice problems come and go. But the smallest thing can affect your voice for years, if you don't fix the underlying problem.

I'm not a professional singer (in the shower is my limit lolz) but you've worried me now because years ago I lost my voice at a gig...then lost it again at a rugby match a couple of years later and sometimes when I sing or shout I can feel this crackling sensation in my throat :\

Maybe you have irritation there, do you clear your throat a lot? Mine is caused by the slightest bit of acid reflux, it showed up as the tiniest patch bit of redness on the laryngoscope. But then you get mucus forming on the vocal cords to protect them from the acid. And I can't sing though that. So then I clear my throat all the time, and that causes more irritation, and THEN I have bloody allergies/take puffers on top of all that. I can hardly talk on a daily basis now without clearing my throat, and when I sing I lose power, have to change word sounds to keep the pitch right, have to shout more than sing sometimes, can still do higher, soft notes okay, run out of steam when holding long notes... so it sounds familiar when I hear Bellz singing lately. And it feels painful, strained and tight. :(

Yeah, voice problems come and go. But the smallest thing can affect your voice for years, if you don't fix the underlying problem.

Maybe Matt never truly got over the issues from the laryngitis from 2014? You would think he would have gotten to the bottom of it, being a professional singer and having access to pro voice coaches/therapists and the like. Hope he takes care of himself with all these future tour dates.

Maybe Matt never truly got over the issues from the laryngitis from 2014? You would think he would have gotten to the bottom of it, being a professional singer and having access to pro voice coaches/therapists and the like. Hope he takes care of himself with all these future tour dates.

Damn right, which makes me think he is coasting along, as much as the band itself... people have accused them of being lazy for years and I always thought that was a bit unfair because when they were coming up they were the hardest working band around, for years and fair play that they wanna take it easy and mess about on stadium stages. Buuut... the first thing I said on Facebook when I saw the London tickets were £73: 'I know this sounds bitchy as fuck but I hope he sorts his voice out for that price.'

So yeah if I was him, I'd be:

- Getting checked for reflux and taking pills for that if that's an issue

- Not clearing my throat at all and doing daily vocal exercises prescribed by the best damn coach in da bizniz

- Strict as fuck diet - low-fat, no acidic foods

- Limited caffeine, limited alcohol

- LOADS of water

- Minimize stress and have daily neck/shoulder massages before singing

- Cardio.

I'd also ditch the incredibly boring and predictable MWAH and stand still and concentrate moar when I play the handler solo :awesome: (although I do love when he goes wrong with that :LOL: )

Edited by Gemsy

Damn right, which makes me think he is coasting along, as much as the band itself... people have accused them of being lazy for years and I always thought that was a bit unfair because when they were coming up they were the hardest working band around, for years and fair play that they wanna take it easy and mess about on stadium stages. Buuut... the first thing I said on Facebook when I saw the London tickets were £73: 'I know this sounds bitchy as fuck but I hope he sorts his voice out for that price.'

One of my concerns is that Muse should really be playing around 23 songs a night now for an arena tour, yet I feel that if they do and Matt hasn't got himself sorted his voice is really going to suffer. I've not seen the full tour schedule but they're normally pretty intense.

I started properly working out a few years ago and I still can't believe how little water I used to drink when I was younger. If you're sick, drink a shit load of water. Unfit in general? Water cleans you out. Vocal issues? Get on that stuff, Bellamy.

I don't think we'll ever see/hear him play that Handler solo 100% correctly, with the way he moves around whilst playing it. Matt also looks like he's trying to figure out a complex math equation :LOL:

Yeah I know people have asked him what he does to look after his voice, and he says he breathes steam, but that's not really enough if you're not drinking enough water too, and looking after your voice is a 24/7 job... if you're clearing your throat all day and irritating it in other ways, steaming just before each show ain't gonna do much. I think age has a lot to do with it too. Stamina, and all that. Y'all look after yourself now you gettin' old, bellz :D

:LOL: I do love the Handler fuckups. Any fuckups, really, I love. Anything that makes them still feel like the passionate chaotic rock band they always were and not a shiny perfected theatre show. ARGH I feel preachy as balls right now and I'm not even going to see them this time. sorry muse I am one cheeky mofugga.

• 1 month later...

Just listened to NSC for the first time in, like, 3 or 4 years and...it's actually not that bad. It's pretty enjoyable in a fun kind of way, similar to IBTY and Revolt.

I genuinely wouldn't mind seeing it live tbh. In fact, I'd quite like to :$

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided that IBTY is a convoluted attempt to troll whinging fans.

- Corny unromantic lyrics about being indebted to a temperamental 'lover'

- References two of the band's most hated songs

- "You are my Mu- [French interlude] -se" cum clarinet solo

The song isn't bad by accident, it's glorious fucking bait.

Also they knew GL would be universally hated before they even released it.

I'd also ditch the incredibly boring and predictable MWAH and stand still and concentrate moar when I play the handler solo :awesome: (although I do love when he goes wrong with that :LOL: )

Surely that fucking up of The Handler's solo makes it a bit more fun. Least it does in my view.

"Universally"

I know a lot of people who rank it among the best Muse songs, as well as best songs live.

Now that's a controversial opinion. Not to mention wrong.

If he personally knows the people, I'm pretty sure it's correct...

Plus, I like GL a ton, and thought it was great live. Better than most of the TR and T2L songs I saw, in fact. It wasn't nearly as lifeless.

Interesting.

I don't really agree. I thought it was underwhelming on The Resistance tour (I did like the song at first but went off it after seeing it live) and terrible on the Unsustainable one.

I went to my first gig while I was still in my fanboy 'Muse can do no wrong' days but even I switched off majorly during GL and UD, apart from when the confetti cannons got caught on Dom's drums. Hell, the cannons actually made me jump a bit 'cause I was daydreaming :chuckle:

They somehow managed to make it even worse on the T2L Tour though, then it just became awful.

I went to my first gig while I was still in my fanboy 'Muse can do no wrong' days but even I switched off majorly during GL and UD, apart from when the confetti cannons got caught on Dom's drums. Hell, the cannons actually made me jump a bit 'cause I was daydreaming :chuckle:

They somehow managed to make it even worse on the T2L Tour though, then it just became awful.

Yeah the Resistance confetti cannons were very messy. Shame salty confetti turned out to be a hoax. :chuckle:

But yeah on the Unsustainable Tour it was poor. The electronic drums reduced the little drama the intro had, and Chris playing guitar - like it was on Blackout - was a misstep.

I still don't like most of T2L. Panic Station has grown on me, and I like Liquid State and Save Me, but I think that's really only because they're Chris' songs.

I still can't stand Madness...

I've only really even been able to give T2L a proper run through once maybe twice (as a friend had given me a burned copy when it first came out), however, as it's the only album I don't own. Still skip some of its tracks while listening to Live at Rome though..

Dead Inside to me sounds like it belongs on T2L, so half the time if I want to listen through all of Drones I'll just skip Dead Inside :unsure:

I still don't like most of T2L. Panic Station has grown on me, and I like Liquid State and Save Me, but I think that's really only because they're Chris' songs.

I still can't stand Madness...

I've only really even been able to give T2L a proper run through once maybe twice (as a friend had given me a burned copy when it first came out), however, as it's the only album I don't own. Still skip some of its tracks while listening to Live at Rome though..

Dead Inside to me sounds like it belongs on T2L, so half the time if I want to listen through all of Drones I'll just skip Dead Inside :unsure:

I agree with most of this. The only songs I listen to at all from T2L are Survival and Unsustainable. That's about it. Follow Me and Madness continue to sound so dreadful, and I can't stand listening to them. I usually just convince myself that T2L didn't really happen at all.

Dead Inside though, is amazing. It's leagues better than anything on T2L, infact it's what Madness should have been. They perfected that minimal electro-funkness they were trying to do on the previous album, and I think it worked out really well.

It looked pretty bad on the stadium tour last round, but I found it pretty damn awesome on the TR arena tour.

I've always loved it on album. I'm a huge sucker for Muse's big, overly-emotional songs.

I still fucking love Mercy to death.

Mercy's cool, yeah. Took me a while to like but I think its grown on me quite a bit, and I'd be happy to get that instead of Starlight. Unlikely, yeah, but its nice to dream. :chuckle:

Same might be said for Revolt - I hated it when it first came out, but the video and an appreciation for the chorus means that, in spite of its silly lyrics, it sounds fun. Can imagine it translating nicely live. Could also seen a siren-riff link into Uprising, although I can also imagine certain boardies thinking "Oh god no!" at such a thought.