The Resistance is not as bad as people make it appear.

I listened to it again before T2L came out, and with the exception of Guiding Light (which is actually not as awful as we make it out to be, either), it's a very fine album. Still a lot weaker then their previous efforts, but definitely not bad. Plus Exo is one of the finest things they've eve done.

I listened to it again before T2L came out, and with the exception of Guiding Light (which is actually not as awful as we make it out to be, either), it's a very fine album. Still a lot weaker then their previous efforts, but definitely not bad. Plus Exo is one of the finest things they've eve done.

It's not the actual song (GL is still boring) we criticize, but more the direction Muse took with songs like GL, Resistance or NSC.

The album could do with some cuts and edits. (We are the universe intro, Uprising + outro,

cut the classical music after USoE, etc.) And there are some ideas I just dislike (French middle part in IBTY).

Edited by Strangeseas

It's not the actual song (GL is still boring) we criticize, but more the direction Muse took with songs like GL, Resistance or NSC.

The album could do with some cuts and edits. (We are the universe intro, Uprising + outro,

cut the classical music after USoE, etc.) And there are some ideas I just dislike (French middle part in IBTY).

What's wrong with the classical bit after USoE?

If I remember BH&R went through a stage where it was extremely proggy but it made some of the popper tracks like SMBH sounds really disjointed, and it was when they got that more electronic and dance influence that those tracks came together and the proggy tracks were cut down.

Might have been cool to see them go all out with the progressive stuff and multi-albums, but they trimmed the songs down for a reason so maybe it wouldn't have ended up as great.

Then again looking at what they did with Assassin it could've just been another butchering of the songs' early versions.

All seems to go back to consistency really. I really loved The 2nd Law but I really want to see them try and delve deep into a general style and see how well they work with that. T2L felt like a lot of really good ideas that were cutoff once the song ended.

Basically they started recording in that old castle in..France? And things were proggy and lengthy and crazy. Then they thought they needed something new, went to New York I think, apparently did some DJing or something? Or at least hung out with a DJ. Dance nights obviously influenced some of the tracks and then they kinda toned everything down to one album.

ie an album just short of greatness.

It would be nice to see what Muse could do if they didn't make half a great album, shit themselves over saleability of the album and then toned the great stuff down and add a dollop of pop.

To me certain parts of OoS feel like 95% of what they could've done. BH&R could have easily been their greatest album but they did what I said at the start of this post.

Not too sure about that. Their "poppier" tracks seem to be pretty darn good (e.g. UD, PS, FM, Madness).

I know. Most are very good but I always get the feeling they limit their progressive side too much. It just seems like 95% the whole time.

I know. Most are very good but I always get the feeling they limit their progressive side too much. It just seems like 95% the whole time.

Agreed. Origin of Symmetry feels like it has the least limitation regarding progressive elements, I think that may be at least part of the reason why it's so highly praised among fans. Maybe not just from the fact it's progressive, but more for the fact it expresses how the band(Matt) truly want to write songs, and not feel limited and controlled by any other factor.

Having said that, even back in early, starting out days Muse were actively holding back on their progressive side, I remember the band being interviewed and them commenting on how Showbiz was basically a collection of tracks which they deemed least progressive of their collection. So even from day one they were intentionally staying away from that style of writing.

I think BHaR is a testimony to this, the way it has the potential but seems like it's been stripped of any significant progressive tendencies, and this contributes to its relatively low standing compared with other Muse albums.

I too would have loved them to do the opposite really. Why suppress your natural style of song writing?

My controversial opinion is that Liam's Muse fan movie will never be released (if it's even completed). Lots of you will say I'm be impatient, but I'm trying to be objective here.

When was that first trailer released? When were those screenings supposed to happen (if they did? I'm ignorant on the topic as the England is six time zones away from me).

My controversial opinion is that Liam's Muse fan movie will never be released (if it's even completed). Lots of you will say I'm be impatient, but I'm trying to be objective here.

When was that first trailer released? When were those screenings supposed to happen (if they did? I'm ignorant on the topic as the England is six time zones away from me).

I know Muse the Movie has been in production for much longer (4 years?), but I remember one guy last year who insisted that his Reading DVD was never gonna come out and it was all a trick. Look at that...

The movie has already been screened iirc.

You're trying to be objective, okay.

And how many facts you have proving your point (the movie not being released)?

I can suggest you to have just a little more patience, we're close to have it released.

Yup, I remember people talking about how it had pro-shot Debase and 'Hey, you crazy kids' :awesome: Anyway, he's said he'll release when he's back from his holiday.

I remember him saying that. Don't remember if it was in the screening though. I remember a trailer with some quotes from attendees though praising the film. Also a video of the end credits and the DVD menu which I don't think are available anymore.